View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #25841
Supporter

With KC's reopening plan, restaurants say they can't survive on 10% capacity

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —
As Kansas City announces its plan to reopen, some businesses say the plan does not work for them. Restaurants say they can't survive on 10% capacity.

At Jasper's Italian Restaurant, there are more than 45 employees. A lot of them depend on tips for their income. When you limit capacity in a business that depends on peak times, the owner said it is not a viable business model.

"They are taking my right away to make a living, anyway you look at it," said owner Jasper Mirabile.

He said he believes customers should have options.

"If they want to stay home, then stay home and self-isolate. That's fine. But you're taking business away from our economy in Kansas City, while surrounding cities, they're making a living," Mirabile said.

In a dining area that seats 249, Jasper's Italian Restaurant said 10% capacity is not doable.

"Twenty-five people in the restaurant?" Mirabile said.

He said his phone has been busy all day from other restaurant owners calling with the same concerns.

"If the President and the Governor are telling us to go back to work, then why is the mayor restricting us?" Mirabile said.

He said the restaurant can get by with 50% capacity, and they are all for safety precautions.

"Wearing masks and gloves, I'll do everything they tell me to do. We're not fighting that," Mirabile said.

Jasper's has been in business 66 years. The restaurant and market closed March 16. Mirabile said he feels it's time to reopen.

"I have a lot of respect for the mayor and for the Health Department and for what they have been doing up until this point. But now, to get the results and what they want us to do, there's no way in the world anyone can do this," Mirabile said.

The city said that starting May 6, anyone who spends more than 10 minutes inside a nonessential business will be required to leave their contact information.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/her-pro...-home/32328531
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.