View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #3998
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but correct my logic. Let's say that this has a mortality rate of 1 percent or 3 percent or 6 percent. Isn't the long-term impact on the economy 1 or 3 or 6 percent? And we're down 20 percent in the market now?
The market highs were built on optimistic models of future growth without disruption, imo.

More importantly, the market prices in anticipated future growth, and the factors are multiplicative over time. You would have to develop models assuming the loss of 1-3% production and consumption, plus the loss of production from quarantines and sick workers. Net present value of cash flows are drastically reduced given supply chain disruption, changes in consumer behavior and reduced growth forecasts. What is the difference in the net present value of an investment with an 8% return and a 5% return, all other things equal? Then factor in changes to profit margin, reduced volume due to supply chain reduction? It also makes overhead a much bigger deal, turning profitable companies unprofitable.

The multiplicative nature of the factors leaves a lot of room for downward movement, Imo. But I am a pessimist by nature, so maybe factor that into your decision making process.
Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.