Thread: Chiefs NFL trade watch
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #274
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
But counter argument, do you think he just went to those dollar amounts without having some reason to? I mean, I doubt he offered 4 million more to get Mathieu?

Didn't we hear they wanted him in 18? I dunno why they didn't get him, guessing it had to do with a safety they were planning on having back there that had some issues, but whatever on that.

I guess what i'm getting at is that those guys were all on the market (outside Clark) so they were having to negotiate against other teams, I'm guessing.

So my thing would be don't target guys that are out there like that and actually have a draft plan so you don't have to spend.
That's exactly what happened - he ended up in a bidding war with the Texans.

So after he passed on Mathieu in a soft-market in '18, he ended up stuck in a far more competitive market in '19 and just said "**** it, I'm getting him..."

It was a bed of his own making but he was so hell-bent on getting Mathieu that the Texans ended up price-enforcing him into a contract that is gonna look pretty iffy if Mathieu continues his career trend of ending up dinged and being less effective for big chunks of the season as he's nursing injuries.

He allowed his valuation of the player to be determined elsewhere. If the guy wasn't worth $10 million as a FA the year prior then it was only the need to pay him $14 million to pry him out of Texas that suddenly convinced Veach he was worth that much the following year.

That's not a viable long-term approach. That's cap hell waiting to happen and I'm pretty sure it's exactly what happened with Watkins and the Cowboys as well.

I think he needs to curb this tendency to get too locked in on a particular target. It's costing him at the bargaining table both in terms of trade compensation and cap space.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.