Thread: Chiefs No Chris Jones at OTA's.
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #462
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Here's the problem though - you're about to have the highest paid player in the game on your team. Highest. By a lot. And who's salary presently really isn't in the budget at all.

This isn't trying to get someone from $12 million/season to $20 million/season. You already have $12 million in your structure that way. This is going from $5 million to probably something like $35-40 million. You're going to need to find $30+ million in extra cap space.

If you hope to do that AND keep a quality team around him, you can't 1) trade 1st round picks for Frank !@#$ing Clark...ugh...back to the topic at hand, you can't 2) sign guys when you absolutely have to.

You have to sign them early. And you have to be right. You need to approach Jones BEFORE you're left fighting with him in FA and using the tag. Same with Hill. The Chiefs have to use every single tool at their disposal to get those cap figures pared down and the only way to do that, in most cases, is to come at them early and trade risk for AAV.

It's a massive gamble and you'd better be right, but I don't think you can afford not to do it either. That's just the nature of trying to keep a young team intact in a cap league.
I don't know what they'll do with Mahomes. There's been some whispers that he may go shorter with more guarantees, I dunno what that means to be honest.

Similarly i'd like to see them get Fuller under a nice deal that could save some, similar to Kelce.

But in the end, if Jones wants more than they're willing to give, whats your options?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.