Thread: Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #2338
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverChief View Post
Solid Post. The only thing I would add is that the Glock 43/43X are excellent choices for concealed carry. Small enough to fit in pants pocket and enough ammo (for me) to feel comfortable (6+1 & 10+1 respectively)
Thanks, and I agree; the G43/43X are good handguns.

And there are plenty more in that size range that are pretty good guns.

My only issue with subcompacts is that after I ran a couple through a training class, I found they all had at least three critical issues:

One, accessing these small guns from concealment under stress can be slow to catastrophically inept. If I were to carry one, I'd almost have to opt for an OWB holster just to ensure a consistent positive draw.

Two, getting good initial COM hits quickly is just harder to do with a smaller gun than it is with a larger one. The shorter sight radius, ofttimes smaller sights, snappier recoil impulse, and less grip to hang onto, all factor into making groups bigger and times longer. And that's just with a time stressor shooting at non-aggressive paper/steel. Never mind what it might be like with someone actually shooting at you. I can do it acceptably with my Shield for example, but I'm a little slower and I have to really focus to keep my hits tight.

And three, reloading. Trying to execute any kind of mag change with these subcompacts is interesting at best. An epic fail at worst. I practice mag changes every morning four days a week 25 times each morning with my Shield when I carry it, and even in the peace and quiet of my bedroom I've missed the magwell. Or even dropped the damned thing. Add in having to do it under time stress or add in movement on top, and it can get to the point of slapstick comedy. Or death, if it were for real.

Because of these issues (could just be me of course), I've mostly phased out subcompacts from my carry list, except as BUGs, or in place of an extra mag.

My original post was assuming a primary carry piece, not a BUG.

Fraz, Walthers, such as the PPQ are really nice guns. I liked the two I shot very well. Just haven't put one really through a solid thrashing to throw it on my list.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.