View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #2863
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage View Post
I'm not sure on tractors. Do people tractor all day/everyday? There is also scale. If you have 10 tractor drivers you can get rid by automating, your insurance is going to be really costly versus a company with 500k drivers.

I think a key difference is Uber/Lyft already provide collision, liability, 3rd party insurance, under or uninsured motorist coverage to it's human drivers. It's really just a matter of the math working out via human labor costs vs autonomy costs and any delta in insurance payments. Uber is trying to create their own autonomy platform. They could buy a ford install it and then they'd be responsible. I don't think that's how it'll work but there will be several models. I also think it's a long way off outside of niche things.

Lyft has a few Google/Waymo cars out on the road in Phoenix now
Yeah. A lot of tractors run a lot of hours. It is very much a timing and labor issue.

It's not an insurance problem, we don't carry any collision insurance on tractors at the moment. It's a liability problem, which could be insured against.

Think about it this way. Somebody convinces a court that there is a manufacturer default that caused the wreck. Insurance company says, welp, I'm out. Then it isn't an accident, they're going after the evil corporate empire, and the'll try to find a class action. Because that's what lawyers do.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.