Thread: Life The bee keeper diaries
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #277
Turning the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
Is that typical? Why the heck aren't they stinging the crap out of you for messing with their hive??

Iowanian already answered, but I’ll chime in.

A place where bees build comb/raise babies/store honey is called a hive. The group of bees living in the hive is called a colony. A group of bees that have loaded up on food in their stomach and shooed the old or new queen out to sit while they go find new digs is called a swarm.

Bees protect hives, but swarms don’t protect anything. That’s the main reason I just wear a veil, and don’t really need that even.

A few years ago the swarms from my hive gathered 12ft high in a cherry tree. I put a step ladder in the bed of my truck and climbed it to ship off the branch.

It went well enough, but one of my sons had the job of steadying the ladder. I was as gentle as possible with the cluster, but a clump or two did fall.

The boy talks like it was a lowlight of life, but I can tell it was a proud moment for him. He continued to steady the ladder even though a few hundred bees fell on his bare head/chest/arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Groves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliGroves 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote