View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 PM   #212
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
The Defense Sutton originally installed was not all that different. We blitzed heavily the first few years. The new NFL is built around pushing the pocket into the QB as fast as possible. Speed off the edges. Speed at LB to cover the distance of a spread offense. An attack mentality vs. read and react. Arguably, the Chiefs are further along than Ryan's Defense. They got rid of a few of those things. If Ryan comes back, he has to do something really different than what's he done in the past. He can't rely on 2-gap. Can't do that read and react shit. Has to cut down Dime. Has to prioritize speed over size.
Maybe. I do remember it being more aggressive but over the last few seasons, it really resembled nothing like a Rex Ryan defense. However, Sutton's defense has always been bend but don't break in KC. Rex Ryan's weren't. Buffalo's issue was because of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 IMO.

I'll keep going back to the Ravens, who IMO, have the best defense in football. That is a Rex Ryan Defense. They are an ultra aggressive team that attacks like no one's business. They have no stars in the defensive backfield. Their MLB is a stud though. Suggs is older and not as dominant, but still a good player. They are just very well coached.

Rex Ryan is an alpha male coach; Bob Sutton is a beta male. With Reid giving complete defensive authority to the DC you need that alpha. This defense needs someone to get in their asses when they make a mistake or go off script. It needs discipline and solid coaching. It needs someone that can put the players in a position to win.

Rex Ryan has vaulted to my #1 choice. (It can change though because I was high on Spags for a few hours now I'm very low on him)

Last edited by jaa1025; 01-23-2019 at 12:02 AM..
jaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli