View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #2559
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Hamas, I’m no expert on this by any means but I was in a similar spot with loans and such.

I would recommend paying as much as you can towards the debt repayment as you can. Don’t forget about retirement obviously, but getting out from under that will help alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Yeah, do what you need to do to get the company match, but beyond that, debt reduction is your main priority for the near term.
Congrats Hamas by the way.

And this is basically it. Don't pass up any free money so do the minimum contribution to get all the free money, so 5%.

After that, tackle debt. If you have any credit card debt, I'd start there. After that, work on the student loans and possibly refinancing them to a lower rate if you're able (not sure what you're paying).

I had $60k debt after my schooling so I only contributed 4-6% to my 401k (to get the entire free match) until I paid off my student loans last year. Now I do 12% to my 401k and it's barely noticeable out of my take-home with the loans now gone, even leaving money left over to contribute to a ROTH IRA each month.

Hopefully your employer offers cost effective index funds for your retirement plan. I am invested in only Index funds alone in my 401k (Large, small and foreign). Many companies finally offer low cost index funds, but there are still some hold-overs of employers who offer expensive and less than ideal retirement funds. Let us know your choices when you get that info.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.