View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 03:47 AM   #18761
DeadPunisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
There might be several guys going in front of Gurley, RB is so dime a dozen.

I still think Mahomes biggest obstacle is Brees because of the sympathy vote since he's never won one...he's breaking records, great guy, HOFer, the way things lined up for his Monday Night game even getting him talking to his kids..

All of that is an issue to overcome for Patrick.
I was having a discussion about the MVP and Gurley. He thinks Gurley is slightly ahead and I obviously think it's Mahomes.

You said RBs were a dime a d8, and that's the approach that I took as well. He said Gurley was a first round pick, and he was on pace to break LTs record etc. So, I used two KC running backs to make my point.

Superstar running backs are nice to have. On rookie salaries. But it's been statistically proven that most teams can get the exact same production from a late round RB, and the cost is much less. I did say production, because big time players sometimes have an it factor, like showing out in big games, but usually carries, yards, receptions, etc. can be matched by lesser players.

First example is Priest Holmes. He was undrafted, and until an injury ended his career, he was performing as well as LT, who was a first round pick.

Second example is Kareem Hunt. He was a third round pick, and led the league in rushing his rookie year, and this year through 8 games he is PFF's highest rated RB in either conference.

But in most circumstances, QB is a position where being a first round pick usually (there exceptions like Montana and Brady) means that you are more likely to be successful, and the production of a first round QB cannot be matched by a late round fill in.

Bell holds out in Pittsburgh, and third rounder Conner puts up numbers close to what the Steelers lost without Bell. But if Big Ben missed games, due to injury or arrests related to rape, the late round backup can't just put down his clipboard and step in without the team missing a beat. I know Bell was a second rounder, but his salary demands make it relevant anecdotal evidence.

I know Gurley is talented, and a top 3 RB, but he isn't even the best player on his team. Mahomes is clearly the best player on the Chiefs, and our roster is loaded with offensive Pro-Bowl talent.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.