View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #44
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

You know, other than running into a few bears and moose, I have been very lucky. I have been lost a couple times for a short period of time, but always kept my head and got out. Now with GPS, that would be damn near impossible to do.

After a few "what if that had gone another direction" incidents in the mountains, I always go prepared. I would say over kill in some cases. I know when I ATV with some of my friends, I have caught some crap over how loaded up my hard cases are with emergency equipment. The funny thing is, most of those same guys have needed something out of there on one of our adventures at one time or another.

My philosophy is, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, particularly my personal locator beacon. If someone gets really hurt, I can activate it via satellite anywhere in the world and help is on the way. I also take that to Belize every year and bring it along on the fishing trips. Some of those trips can get a little sketchy and some of guides are a little fly by night.

My .500 Smith & Wesson is one other thing I have strapped on at all times if I'm in grizzly bear/moose country, or my 45/70 guide rifle is over my shoulder, both loaded with very hot hard cast rounds.

There was a guide that was killed by two grizzly's a couple of weeks ago. The guides client shot an elk and the guide was cleaning the kill. Two Grizzly's came over the hill and worked over the dude (who ran off) and then killed the guide.

The guide made the fatal mistake of not having his pistol strapped on at the time, or his rifle within arms reach, he should have know better. His pistol was in a pack several yards away. The dude grabbed it but couldn't figure out how to fire the pistol. The dude then made a half hearted attempt of tossing the guide the gun before running off. They found the guides munched up body with a can of bear spray next to him that had been deployed.

That's a prime example of why I don't go up into the mountains with people I don't fully trust. Either my buddy and I are going to both be dead, or the bear is going to be taken out, no one is going to run off. With the guys I ride with, odds are it's going to be the bear.

I know my buddy rockymtnchief will have some good stories, he works outside everyday in the hills and mountains and has shared a few with me.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote