View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #4414
The Beast Inside Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Re: next year, I can’t see true contention. Maybe they do a 2015 Twins type thing where they play well over their heads and kind of luck into 80+ wins, but unless they make some major moves in FA (which I don’t anticipate), I have a hard time seeing it.

I AM encouraged by Adalberto Mondesi. We’re seeing the talent that I’ve been talking about since he was 16 come out. (Seriously. I first started pumping him when he was in Idaho Falls at 16 doing the same type of things as Jurickson Profar at that level).

The most encouraging thing is that his ability to take good at bats is really taking a jump up. His walk rate is still too low, but if he can increase it a bit as he matures and becomes more comfortable, he becomes a potential star.

I still think they should entertain offers
for Merrifield in the offseason, but they shouldn’t just be moving him to move him. If you get a team willing to pay a price that makes it worth it - which to me is a top 25 prospect and another top 75-100 guy at this point, plus some filler - great. If not, continue to hold him until the price and buyers match up.

I want to see Nicky Lopez next year. Would love to see a Merrifield/Lopez/Mondesi combination in he lineup. Tons of speed, lots of pressure on the D.

For the OF, Gordon has at least been a somewhat respectable hitter this year and his defense rebounded nicely. He’s going to end up a shade over 2 wins. Still not in line with the contract, but next year’s the last year. If he’s just awful again, like 2016 and 2017, they could cut bait early in the year.
CF, for me, would still feature Brett Phillips, though he does have minor league options remaining, which could be a factor. Soler and Bonifacio need to get everyday ABs assuming health and no suspensions, and can rotate through RF and DH.

We need to see O’Hearn and Dozier at 1B and 3B at this point, based on what they’ve done lately. It’s encouraging but needs to be shown out over a full season. That leaves Cuthbert on the short end.

The rotation has a few promising young guys in Keller and Junis and a real enigma in Duffy, and a real albatross in Kennedy.

If Kennedy and Duffy are both healthy and have seasons like they did in 2016, that could be a solid group. Big “if,” though, at this point...

And the bullpen... we’ll see an injection of young arms next year, I think, with Lovelady and likely Staumont getting some run. They have some useful pieces, and I’m sure they’ll go bargain bin shopping for guys like Peralta again. I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see the pen be molded into a pretty effective group through a combination of youth and lotto tickets.
I am assuming Whit goes to CF and Lopez to 2nd if all 3 guys are with the club?
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.