View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #3116
"You like to drink?"

I have had an epiphany.

Having a player like Salvy on your roster as a catcher.. isn't exactly optimal.

He's too good defensively to not put behind home plate, but you can't run him out every day because -wouldn't you know it- the physical demands of the position are arduous.

You can't give him too much rest because his bat is historically too good to sacrifice for multiple days. Fine, so you DH him or stick him at first... but what happens when the backup catcher gets hurt midgame? You're then down a catcher and you lose the DH for that game.

So then you Gattis/Schwarber the guy and make him a full time player at another position or be the full time DH. But that's assuming he's not a liability at another position defensively and his bat is comparable offensively to other full time players at those spots.

If I'm a GM, why should I tell scouts to look for prospects like proto-Salvy when I should probably be looking for proto-Cervellis?

Disclaimer: this epiphany is independent of DJ's post. I just got around to posting it now and didn't see his commentary. I am in no way, shape or form influenced by the evil takes of a Cardinals fan.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.