View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #756
Veteran

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Ringleader. I appreciate it.

Personally, I suspect Kathleen and Lucasfilm are thinking more about a way forward without a reliance on "The Big Three" (Luke, Leia, Han) more than crafting stories that appeal to non-fans. But I don't know the woman so that's just my own take.

I think The Last Jedi is pure Star Wars. All the elements that make a Star Wars movie are there in spades. Perhaps we value different elements, or prioritize the those Star Wars elements differently. Which is obviously going to happen when dealing with a subjective medium.

Rian took huge risks and I appreciate those risks. He had to know this kind of outspoken opposition was possible; ditto Kathleen Kennedy. But, I for one, would rather have artists freely work to create their own vision than have a homogenized, water-downed, predictable, and samey product. But, again, that's just subjective preference.

I'm sorry you guys didn't like the movie. I'm sure you are (or were) big fans that wanted a great movie. Maybe, just like The Empire Strikes Back, this movie will grow on fans. Empire wasn't as well received as Star Wars back in the day -- it even had a big dip at the box office, just like TLJ. Maybe Episode 9 gives a greater context to The Last Jedi and we can all look back and appreciate it.

Or maybe it is what it is, and some will never like it. So be it. That's just the way it goes with art. I just hope Lucasfilm doesn't go into the business of listening to the angriest and most vile pockets of the "fanbase." No artist, no franchise owes the fans anything. Fans shouldn't be calling the shots. And either way, it's far better to let your wallet speak than to bash, insult, and bully people on the internet (not saying you're doing that, just speaking to the Kelly Marie Tran and similar issues).

Anyway, I really appreciate the response. Thank you.
Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.