View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #200
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
But the problem is that the question has basically already been answered without much room for debate. You can Google around all you want, and you'll find that every single study that has examined the safety of Autopilot has found that people get in far fewer accidents when it is turned on than when it's not. Here's one just as an example.

http://bgr.com/2017/01/19/tesla-auto...-report-nhtsa/

As I said before, I agree that it is newsworthy when there is an accident where autopilot clearly IS at fault. My criticism is that pretty much every time a Tesla (or other self-driving car) is in an accident, it makes the news regardless of whether autopilot was involved or not. It's news orgs reaching for sensationalist headlines that give the impression that self-driving cars aren't safe, when the reality is quite the opposite.

When it comes down to it, the "debate" about whether self-driving cars are safer than human drivers is already closed. The question moving forward is more about HOW MUCH safer they are and UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES self-driving cars might struggle.
I don’t know the motive of the dudes posting up the wrecks, but that is a huge setback for the industry.

If I go plow into a bus load of kids because I ran a stoplight I’m liable. Problem is that if you remove the driver there is no one to be liable. That leaves....the manufacturer. Nobody is going to eat that kind of liability.

It’s the same shit with tractors. All I can hear is that it is the wave of the future. Yeah. Duh, stupid. Get guys out of the seat and it will sell. I have a 20 year old tractor with the hardware to do it. But if something Happens and there was no problem in the user controlled activities the liability falls to the manufacturer. And I know Mother Deere won’t stand for that. In fact there is a screen that pops up every time you turn it on that the driver is responsible for collision avoidance. And that is why. Deere wants no part of that noise.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.