Thread: Movies and TV Black Panther
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #159
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Finally saw this. I thought it was a underwhelming. Not bad, just not what I was expecting especially after reading the reviews here.

I thought Black Panther seemed a little weak in his ritual fights. Especially the one against Killmonger. Which seemed in contrast to his other fights. They didn't really explain much at all about his panther powers. Most of the focus was on his suit. I remember a ton of mystical type stuff that they didn't touch on at all. Seemed off from what I knew of Black Panther in the comics. Klaue had some cool screen time, but died quickly and uneventfully. Wakanda society seemed really odd to me as well. You've got the most advanced tech in the world, with seemingly limitless energy. Yet their society is still dependent on the same tribal ritual system that allows for control of Wakanda to be taken in a one-on-one fight? Killmonger immediately changes their society from isolationism to global domination, and everybody's just like "Welp, guess we'll do that instead.?" Just didn't really seem believable to me.
I disagree with that interpretation. This was an origin story so I expected him to be a bit weak. I would have liked to see some cool mystical stuff in this one but I don't think it was necessary for the plot. That first fight he was fighting for a tie and his adversary was fighting to the death. That first fight against Killmonger, I expected Killmonger to beat his ass. He's nowhere near as 'hard' as Killmonger was. And he didn't have to accept Killmonger's challenge. I'd say accepting it showed a character flaw; arrogance. And not everyone just went along with the outcome. That particular conflict was one of the pivotal chunks of the movie's plot.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.