View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #1562
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Hey DJ, what does the Athletics have they would give up for Piscotty?
Who cares?

Look, I'd try to toss some actual interesting ideas out there, but why bother?

Chapman and Olsen are likely to end up blocking each other at some point and both guys are powerful hitters with some holes in their swing. Chapman is an elite defender. Barreto came over in the Grey deal and I like him a lot; he may also be blocked - he'd be a perfect get for us.

Or I could talk about Luzardo, the fireballing lefty that was a potential 1st rounder before TJ surgery in college. He recovered and it looks like his stuff is all the way back after he was a big part of the Madson/Doolittle deal.

But you know what? None of that matters because Mozeliak is going to do what he does - sell ungodly low. Whoever we get, you and I will have never heard of before and will almost certainly never hear of again. It'll be like the Adams and Diaz trades.

Because one thing Moe is really really good at is selling low and buying high. Why trade for Ozuna 2 years ago when the Marlins were trying to give him away just to get him off the roster after they played service time games with him and pissed him off? Why acquire Fowler 2 years ago when he had to slink back to Chicago on a 1-yr deal when the market never came together for him? Why look for guys like Colome BEFORE they're Colome when you can just wait until after they break out and pay 4 times as much for them?

And why wait and see if a guy with a startlingly similar offensive profile to Christian Yelich rebounds when you can just dump him for nothing?

That's what's going to happen here. Piscotty will be dumped. For most of 2016 ago he was among the better young 'pure' hitters in the league and looked like a born 2 hitter or a perfect 6 hitter in the Renteria mold. We'd tinkered with his swing, added the necessary loft and made him a legit asset. Then we decided to **** with it even more, absolutely wrecked his approach and then acted all surprised when he struggled. So now we'll dump a guy to the A's, who will then build him back up and in 2 seasons trade him for an actual return.

Why? Because Billy Beane is a smart GM. John Mozeliak, OTOH, thinks Dexter Fowler and Matt Carpenter are going to be part of the next Cardinal champion. Because he's an idiot and doesn't understand aging curves.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.