View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1361
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon View Post
About 3-4K set aside after this first 11k gets invested. I’m netting about $1k/mo to save/invest currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon View Post
I’ve reduced my min living expenses to about 600/mo give or take, so if I did do something stupid like lose my job or something, I could get a part time job at McDonald’s to pay the bills. So my thinking is while I have this disposable income, it might be smart to start investing it instead of just letting the savings account build up 20k/year.
Sounds like you've got the budget part down. Nice work.

And in a sense, a ROTH IRA can be treated like emergency savings. If something catastrophic happened, you can withdraw contributions without penalty at any time. So maxing out this each year should be done if you have money sitting around and don't think you'll need it in the short term.

I am a Vanguard fanboy but nothing wrong with Fidelity either. Both offer low cost funds and customer service. If you don't know much about investing but are planning for retirement, a target date fund will switch your allocation as you age and can be left untouched.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote