View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #642
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ing-an-eye-on/

7. Josh Allen, Wyoming

Stock Down

Since forever, many NFL coaches have believed if a quarterback has all the physical tools he can be taught the intricacies of the position. For example, Josh Allen is 6-feet-4 with plus athleticism and a Matthew Stafford-esque arm, hence his first-round (or to some, No. 1 overall) hype heading into this season.

But I think it's time we turn that old-school philosophy on its head. To me, arm strength can be developed at the NFL level. Accuracy, coverage-reading and sound decision-making cannot. If you're having trouble consistently throwing an accurate football, reading a defense, or choosing when it's OK to fire a pass into tight coverage in college, how in the world are you going to suddenly improve in all those areas against the most challenging competition on Earth? You're not.

This theory applies directly to Allen. He was blessed with immense physical talent. There is absolutely no doubting that. But he has much to learn regarding the vital nuances of playing quarterback.

Also, there's a caveat here. Like I wrote after his poor performance against Iowa, I'm not going blast him when Wyoming is ridiculously overmatched, and it certainly was against Oregon. He has a tendency to try to do too much to account for the sizable gap in talent when his Cowboys face a team from a Power Five conference, but he can't do it alone. His receivers haven't exactly helped to boost his draft stock either.

----------
Any team that selects Allen in the first round, let alone Top 5, will be disappointed with the results.

You can't teach accuracy.
I think it comes down to why a player is inaccurate. In a lotof cases, yeah that's correct. Just ask Hack and the Jets.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.