View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #9086
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Are you even messing with sous vide on those? They look like they'd be plenty flavorful just giving them a high temp grilling from room temp to med rare.

They're really thick, 2"+, so yeah, planning to sous vide them probably to rare and finish on the grill to medium rare. I don't sous vide to improve flavor; I do it to better control temperature if the final product. Giant hunks of meat like these are pretty difficult to grill perfectly, and at $20/pound, I really don't wanna **** it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Great learning moment.

How do you grill them so they don't flare up and become burnt on the outside and raw on the inside? Those are big think pieces of marbleized steaks.

Do you sear them in a pan and then finish in oven?

I also never heard of those until now.

What kind of price per pound are those?

Like above, I'll sous vide. I'd never seen them till I got a Costco membership. These are prime, and $20/pound.

You could reverse sear them on indirect heat to about 120 degrees to control flare ups, then move to direct for the sear and finish. Or like you said, sear and finish in the oven.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.