View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #73
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
It's an 80s classic for sure. But I alway thought the abrupt shifts in tone were strange. They go from the hilarious Spicoli stuff to the super serious Jennifer Jason Lee abortion stuff. Like they couldn't decide what they wanted 100%??
Fast Times has a more serious side. It isn't just a frivolous teen comedy. (Not that there is anything wrong with frivolous teen comedies.)

If Fast Times only had the serious parts without the comedy, it would have been a heavy film and probably not commercially successful.

I didn't mind how they jumped around, but I can see the point.

I don't think they were trying to pretend that that was exactly what American high schools were like at the time. The characters were mostly stereotypes and a bit over the top at that. But I think you could find people similar to those stereotypes at many high schools. And high school wasn't all funny, Spicoli stuff. I thought the abortion stuff was treated seriously in an appropriate manner without making the film a downer.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.