View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #8737
Gimme My Berries Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Love salmon patties, how did you make the crab cakes and is that a tartar sauce?
That is a tartar sauce—my own homemade version.

I studied about 5 different recipes online and two from my books— Joy of Cooking and Martha Stewart. Didn't use any from the books because reading comments posted by folks from Maryland led to me to a simpler recipe because adding things like jalapeņos, green peppers and/or too many spices hides the crab flavor. That made sense to me and I wanted to try them how Marylander's prepared them. I used Old Bay which they swore by for one.

I wound up using this recipe linked below. Except I used 1/3 buttery crackers because I couldn't make up my mind between the bread fillers or cracker fillers used in some other recipes. So it was my One Third Compromise where crackers got represented as a partial filler ingredient.

And of course my bread crumbs are not wheat but from my millet flax bread and the crackers were gluten free but buttery. Found a new brand at Publix that I tasted last week and decided to use them.

I added a tablespoon of minced sauteed onion though but used the dried parsley. 'Cuz some recipes called for a little onion and I wanted that little bit of flavor from onion added. It was subtle. I added some paprika to the tops and finished them under the broiler. Some Marylanders said they broil them.

I use my own tartar sauce though which includes some fresh dill. I eyeball that recipe to taste though.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes...tar-sauce.html

For some reason I held off making these as they always looked as though they'd be complicated and time consuming. I found this was not the case at all, but were easy and quick to prepare. The one pound can of jumbo lump crab for $23 was a bit pricey, but all recipes said to use high quality jumbo lump crab meat. So I did and got the best I could find.

Last edited by BucEyedPea; 07-30-2017 at 07:54 AM..
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.