View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #4751
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
There are a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the defensive component (when defensive metrics are notoriously unreliable in sample sizes under 2-3 years).

But my biggest beef is that it completely ignores run production. WAR adheres wholeheartedly to the idea that an RBI is completely team dependent. And while I agree there is a team dependent component to them, I've seen enough baseball at this point to know that some guys just want to be up there in that spot and they don't shrink. Meanwhile some guys get worse and others just don't give a shit at all. Joey Votto is the absolute worst example of this I've ever seen. I swear to God he could be hitting in front of the pitcher with runners on 2nd and 3rd in a 1 run game and he'd take a pitch a 1/2 inch off the plate rather than do the job himself and get the run in.
I believe this to be somewhat true, but DWAR has said Gordon, Cain, Perez & Escobar are one of the best defensive players of their position for the last like 4 years. It seems like Moustakas used to get the benefit in DWAR due to Escobar's + range & how we position Escobar, leading to higher DWAR than he deserved. Perhaps that is being properly accounted for this year.

Last edited by BWillie; 07-27-2017 at 12:06 PM..
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.