View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #3972
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Royals said to be 'very aggressive' in their pursuit of Lance Lynn.

Eh. Cuthbert's been hurt all season and bad. Dozier's been hurt. The Cardinals don't need pitching unless it's righthanded bullpen help and if the Cards were looking short term well hell, they could just move Lynn to the 'pen.

Pitching salaries are crazy enough that the Cardinals could price-enforce Lynn into a likely sandwich pick this offseason. Offer him 4/$52 and he wouldn't take it, but it would be a starting point in negotiations and could yield him getting over that $50 million threshold (the only way he'd stay below it is if he took less term; 3/$48 or something like that). That being the case, the bare minimum return they should take is the rough value of that sandwich slot (so a fringe 1st round talent). If I'm the Royals I probably don't give that up.

Besides, the Royals SS and 1b cupboard is pretty bare. That's where the Cardinals really need help.

I'm honestly not sure I see a deal lining up here but baseball is weird so who knows?

Two of the Royals top five prospects are SS at AA or higher (Mondesi at Omaha, Nicky Lopez at Northwest Arkansas). KC would actually match up fairly well there if the Cardinals are interested in Lopez.

Lopez is a college guy from Creighton with above average OBP skills. Not a ton of pop, but good speed and a good defender who will stick at SS.

I don't think the Cardinals can offer a larger contract and get the QO compensation, though I may be wrong. Believe it has to be the one year, $18 million qualifying offer.

Don't think Lynn would take that at this point, but who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.