View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #605
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Okay grill masters, please list out your favorite seasonings and how much you apply.

Hamburgers -- Salt and pepper. Anything more than that is communist and just tiny meatloaves

Steaks -- Salt and pepper. Anything more than that is communist and the symptom of a lousy chef. If I'm bored, I'll occasionally use Weber's coffee seasoning for a change of pace; very good.

Pork -- I love a product called Willingham's Wham. You can order it but I think you have to call. The same little old (not terribly friendly) woman has answered the phone for years. Let it breath a little bit or there's some pungent, almost citrus odor that I don't care for. Great stuff. Otherwise it's my rib rub that I described awhile back; can't give you a recipe, just mix it till it tastes good.

I also use it on chicken.

Brisket -- Santa Maria style; pretty basic stuff.

Etc.

I would also like to know about what temps you guys set your grills to. I am decent, but want to get better at grilling.

Burgers: Medium high. Hold your hand over the coals right at the grate for maybe 2-3 seconds. If you can hold it longer than that without it hurting, you're too cool (and my hand is tough as shit; I rarely use tongs to turn and if my hand has any hair on it, I simply haven't grilled that week).

Chicken and Pork: Indirect heat; half the grill with coals, meat over the 'empty' side until about 10 degrees below final temp. Then I spread the coals flat and give everything a hot, hard finish to get a nice char on there. While on indirect I'd stick with medium high heat as well but it's really just a visual thing; watch what the meat on the cool side is doing, adjust as needed. For things like pork steak you want to go very slow to keep it from getting tough. For things like thick pork chops, you may want to do the same. Thinner chops can be a little hotter, IMO. Hard to give you great directions on indirect heat as it depends on your meat.

Steak: As hot as the grill will get.

Smoking: 225 - 250; you'll be fine anywhere in that range. With skin-on poultry I actually smoke around 325-350 for a nice crisp skin.

Edit: Cavender's Greek Seasoning is pretty decent as an all-purposes seasoning for vegetables and if you insist, you can add some to beef as well. I don't use it on white meat because I prefer other things but it's probably good on white meat as well.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.