View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #644
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13and3 View Post
If we trade all these people who is going to fill the roster. Will we get worse than this? And for how long? I really dont understand the concept of managing a small market team, and the willingness to really suck for someone who might not play for 3 years if they ever make it to the major leagues at all.

The concept is simple for a small market: you have to develop your own talent to win, and you have to keep doing it to win consistently.

The Royals farm system has not produced enough to do a simple reload. Not ideal, but it happens. Baseball scouting is the hardest of the major sports.

And that would be the case even if the Royals had kept Finnegan and Reed and Manaea.

KC has a flag that will for ever as a result. Not every small market is so lucky. In fact, most slink back to the bottom without a title. Ask a Rays fan, if you can find one. Or a Twins fan. Or an A's fan. Or a Brewers fan. Or a Pirates fan.

As for what happens immediately, they'll find guys to fill he roster. They probably will even get a player or two back that comes straight to the majors.

But say they do ship out Moustakas, Hosmer, Cain, and Herrera before the deadline. That probably means Cuthbert is playing every day at 3B. Moss can take time at 1B. Hunter Dozier probably gets a promotion to the show. Bonifacio and Soler play big roles.

The only position without an obvious answer is CF, where Donnie Dewees is probably KC's best prospect and is still a bit away from the majors (he's off to an OK start at AA Northwest Arkansas but nothing incredible).

In the rotation, I imagine KC would move Kennedy and Vargas and Hammel and Wood and Young, if anyone wants any of those guys (they may hang on to Kennedy, depends on the SP market and his value).

The biggest key is going to be stockpiling talent. Just get the best guys you can. It would be ideal to be ready to compete again in 2-3 years, while Duffy and Perez are still prime contributors. But you can't take lesser talent to chase that goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.