View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #2416
The Lurkiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed View Post
. . . .

Don't forget to have fun along the way and revel in joyful moments. Build your experiences; go on a buddy road tip, take a vacation over seas and immerse yourself in a different culture. You will learn a lot from getting out and having experiences which will increase your knowledge. Wisdom will follow suit, but it often tends to lag behind in the race. Don't sweat the small stuff. Instead rise above it until the storm passes. When you do make a mistake, learn from it and don't bang your head against a wall. I have let go of regrets which has helped me keep my peace of mind. If I knew then what I know now, my 20s would have been much more pleasant, but we don't get to press the reset button. I don't sit and wring my hands over how things went in my 20s because time always marches on, so I just have to accept it and live in the here and now. I feel good about myself.

I'll wrap up the rant now and say enjoy the journey you are on, live well and in good health. Thank you for reaching out to me. I never dreamed I could touch people's lives as I have been doing, but it has been giving me great joy. It is vey humbling and I cannot express how grateful I am to you all for all you are giving to me.
So, so true. As a young man you have chances to do things you won't get to do later in life. You will never again have so few responsibilities as you do now. Later on, you won't be able to just pull up stakes and travel the country (or the world), making a few bucks here and there for burgers and a coke. You'll have a family to support, a house to pay for, and all that.

Seize the time now, while you're young and (relatively) free from responsibility. Take several months or even a few years. See the country. Take a roadtrip. Drive until you're exhausted, then pull over at a rest stop and sleep in your car (cheap!). Get up, hit the local Y for a shower or whatever, and keep going.

Take lots of pics. Even if you think you won't want them. The day will come when you'll have a "real" job, a family, and a mortgage. You'll be grateful for these things, but at the same time they will keep you from just taking off on a whim, driving to the next state (or the next country) and spending time doing whatever it is you want.

You're only young once. Don't squander it.
Yosef_Malkovitch has disabled reputation