View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #7357
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
This was a grilled recipe from Cook's Illustrated.

1 tablespoon allspice berries
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Grind the allspice, peppercorns, and thyme. Then combine with the rest.

I cut the cayenne in half since my wife doesn't like too much heat. I thought it could use more heat, she liked it right where it was.

The key to the grilling part of this recipe is brining the legs (1/2 c. salt, 2 qt. water) for 30-60 minutes, and then cooking them indirect to 185 degrees, then crisp the skin.

The low and slow of indirect renders the fat really well. It's kind of a long cook - all in, took about an hour, but turned out some of the best legs I've done on a grill. The brine keeps the meat really juicy even though you're basically overcooking it on purpose.
Bonus on this. The leftover cold chicken is pretty awesome.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.