View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #68
Mod Team

Good links. These are the Flame or the Thompson variety which are supposed to grow well here. I can't remember which but I think they are similar. I learned how to prune the canes and did that this winter. What those links still don't answer is pruning the bundles or leaving them? Looks like some say not to let the plant set fruit in the second year. I might go ahead and leave two good looking bundles on each side and see what happens.

I don't have much of a green thumb, which is why this has been so fun. I never tried to grow even so much as a single plant until 3 years ago when we bought this house. We paid someone to do a backyard renovation as there was nothing back there but a pool. We planted stuff that is fairly easy to take care of but does require some knowledge and care. Since then I've added other stuff that requires quite a bit more knowledge/work but it's fun learning.

I hate that pool fence with all my heart. It's hideous, ugly and definitely segments the yard. And of all colors, why did they choose white?!?!

But kids might be on the horizon so it stays for now, or I would totally remove it. But I had an ah-ha moment this past fall when I realized after 1 year on the wall by my small garden, that the grapevine had already outgrown that space (who knew grapevines grew so fast?!). So I figured I'd give a shot to transplanting it which I read isn't easy. It surely wasn't. But I figured if anything this pool fence could be good for, besides an eye sore, would be to trellis a vine across it. And since grapevines produce such beautiful leaves, I figured it would actually look nice against the white pool fence (great choice in color!).
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.