Thread: Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread*
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #2169
Gimme My Berries Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
I don't disagree, but on a broader scale they look a lot alike.
On a broad scale perhaps but not when you break down the story more. The broader scale is what you use to put into a certain genre which is just a category.

Quote:
Futuristic world that is largely flawed - Check
Some of the comparisons are legit but it is what most dystopian stories have. Or they'd be another genre.

Quote:
Female protagonist that has to grow up to overcome ridiculous odds - Check
Both books were written by women wanting a strong female lead. Actually, until recently having a lead teen female has not been common.
Quote:
Leans on pretty much only kids to overthrow the adult system.
That's why it is categorized as Young Adult fiction. Note also—The Maze Runner and Scorch Trials— another dystopian story.
Has to try and save her family - check
Actually Tris tires to save all humanity more. Her family are part of that, though she had to abandon them to pursue a faction change.
Male sidekick that helps her grow up on her journey - check
Falls in love with sidekick - check
Lots of stories have these. Can't get behind this one as a mere copy.

Quote:
Jouney involves overthrowing the government largely by herself and upsetting the entire society - check
Part of dystopian stories and others too. Again, even Maze Runner and Scorch Trials.

Quote:
Deaths of people important to her make her question her path but ultimately steel her nerves.
Also part of many stories. Conflict creates drama. Though, I don't recall Tris questioning her path due to this.

Quote:
Ends up "changing the game" to succeed.
Don't know yet until the end. (Spoiler:Tris dies in the last book to save humanity.)

Quote:
About the time it is starting to get good, it pulls a hunger games trick out of the hat.
Like what?

Quote:
I'll catch the third one when it hits HBO, because it's good enough to put on while I'm working, but groundbreaking, it is not.

Not bashing, JMO.
Well you are, but you've a right to your opinion. It's not for everyone. Some of what you say about being the same is legit but I think some of it is part of why its the same genre. I refuse to pay for HBO though. Still, Veronica Roth came up with her story before Suzanne Collins. So who is copying who? I say Hunger Games is the copy but it just was made into a movie first. Or are these things common to dystopia stories?

Last edited by BucEyedPea; 03-30-2016 at 03:29 PM..
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.