View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #619
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Find an ethnic market. With any luck they'll carry gyro meat [so far as I can tell, there's no special name for it or anything. Everywhere I go just calls it 'gyro meat']. It's usually pre-sliced about the size of a candy bar and about as thick as philly steak slices.

Go with the lamb, chicken's OK, but not nearly as good as lamb.

You can heat it up in a skillet, or in a pan like bacon in the oven, or even in a toaster oven. I use a convection oven because it's easy, and it's tough to overcook the meat.

If they have the meat it's almost guaranteed they'll have tzatziki. Otherwise, tzatziki, kalamata olives, feta and pitas can usually be found in any decent market.

Then it's just a matter of romaine, onion and tomato you can pick up anywhere.
Gyros are also pretty simple. You can use ground lamb, onions and some basic spices and throw it in a loaf pan. Not as authentic as a lamb leg but as good as anything you'd get in many restaurants. Tzaziki is easy too. Basically just Greek yogurt, lemons, garlic, olive oil, lemon. Mint and dill possibly too but necessary.

I like to take the finished loaf, slice real thin, throw on a skillet with a heavy skillet on top of the meat.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.