View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #6059
Mod Team

First Salsa attempt. No real spicy peppers so it's a mild salsa so I could see the taste before adding some Habanero peppers for next time.

1 1/2 lbs Tomatillos
2 Pasilla Peppers (mild-mod heat, great pepper taste)
2 garlic gloves
1 large white onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
6 banana peppers
2 Sante Fe Grande peppers (mild hot)
Juice from 1-2 limes

Remove husks and rinse tomatillos until no longer sticky. Place Pasilla peppers, tomatillos and garlic whole onto sheet and place 1-2 inches from broiler in oven for 7-8 minutes, turning once. Dice Onion coarsely. Cut tops off banana peppers and Sante Fe Grande peppers and remove seeds. Boil 10 minutes to soften.

Let peppers cool 10-15 minutes after broiling. Cut tops off Pasilla peppers, leave seeds. Peel Garlic. Throw into blender in bunches and pulse blender until desired consistency.

Other options are Serrano peppers, jalapeno peppers or Habanero depending on desired hotness. I threw in the banana peppers and Sante Fe Grande as those I grow myself and they needed to be used. They are usually bigger but the heat we've had (105-110 consistently) caused them to continue to ripen but not grow. You can definitely leave those out.

Banana Peppers and Sante Fe Grande peppers. Smaller size secondary to heat we've had here.

Tomatillos

Tomatillos with husk off

Pasilla Peppers

Items to broil

Pulsed in blender

5 cup yield
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.