Thread: Movies and TV HBO: True Detective
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #801
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth View Post

Mulholland Drive

As a car goes up an entrance ramp to a highway, there is a sign that says “Mulholland Drive.” MD is, obviously, a street in LA, but is also the name of a David Lynch film.
Lynch is a very unique filmmaker. Many people are familiar with Twin Peaks, Lynch’s TV show. I’ll be honest and say I’m not a Lynch afficienado. I’ve read a great essay on Lynch by David Foster Wallace. There’s also an interview with DFW about Lynch on Charlie Rose.
Lynch often mixes realism with things that are so damn far from realism, they are hard to understand. Here is where I think NicPizz is prepping us using the nude-Asian-woman-in-a-milk-bowl.
From If others would like to add things here, I’d be happy to see them.

Thoughts?

[/INDENT]

Ugh yes, this was blatantly a homage to Lynch's Mulholland Drive right down to the music, the camera angle...even the freaking slight use of a desaturized film technique.

But this is the guy who directed Fast and the Furious 7... not David Lynch.

OK, I can get past this. And I LOVE the overhead "city of industry, thirty mile zone, san pedro, blah blah blah" shots they use between scenes. I love it.

But this HAS to be a joke with how cliche the characters are. I mean, tell me Mr. Pizzolatto, that you're smarter than this. I can make a man drunk and angry. The portrayal of women is already extremely sexist as was it was in the first season. I get it... but GOT and TD have got to the point where they just throw this shit in critics faces and it doesn't come off as being smart. It comes off as being a frat-tastic douchebag.
Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Bambi < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.