Thread: Movies and TV Better Call Saul
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #565
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
That's the richer point. McKean was interviewed about his character arc, and he said it was difficult but he placed himself in the position of completely loving his brother but completely believing he was doing the right and proper thing in keeping him off the HHM letterhead.
Did anyone else notice that Kim did the exact same thing?

"I just didn't want you to hate your brother..."

Chuck gets barbecued for not trusting Jimmy and trying to keep him out of the firm without hurting him. Meanwhile Kim was also deceptive for the same reasons - she just felt that sparing Jimmy's feelings was more important than raw, unvarnished truth.

Yet nobody's blasting Kim, one of Jimmy's only true friends in the world, whereas they're nailing Chuck to the wall.

Jimmy's getting white knighted again here. I don't think he's saying 'to hell with Chuck...', I think he's saying 'to hell with the straight and narrow' and those are very very different animals. He was given a clear path to a solid legal career with another very large law firm. It was there for the taking but it would require that he keep his nose clean and fly right. Hell, he'd even gotten confirmation that his elder law practice had legs - his clients loved him. He could've been a grinder for 20 years at 6 figures a year, put away a million or so, sold his practice, retired in his mid-late 50s and had a nice, common but fairly affluent life for himself.

But Jimmy, at his core, is a crook. He's a liar and a scam artist. He's not a good guy. He got a nice check and the first thing he did was go back to ripping people off in Chicago. He just got done scamming people both out of money and a quick lay and enjoyed the hell out of it. He had his path to righteousness in front of him and instead decided that he was going to route of the sleazy lawyer. Chuck isn't the reason for that - Chuck simply forecast it correctly.

Again, I'm just confused as to why people are giving him a pass and putting this at Chuck's feet. Chuck is balls on right regarding Jimmy's character and didn't do anything more than Kim did in trying to protect him from the truth of his concerns.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.