ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 10 hard freezing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311634)

BryanBusby 11-19-2017 02:50 AM

Windows 10 hard freezing

Windows 10 recently forced the fall update on me and now I am having problems gaming on the system.

I5 4500k
12gb ram
R200 series Radeon

Dell system. Would roll back the stupid update, but MS thought it wouls be cool and good to only give you 10 days for that. ****ers.

Where should I start with this shit?

Fish 11-19-2017 10:44 AM

Launch Events Viewer.
Click Windows Logs.
Click System.
Look for the date/time of your crash.
Identify yellow and red warnings and errors.
See if you can tell what bombed. You should see some unexpected shutdowns and such.
You might find also some useful information under Windows Logs\Application or Windows Logs\Security.

If you record your crash times and keep checking, you'll probably figure out the culprit. That's where I'd start at least.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, hold down the Shift key and select restart from the Win10 menu. That will boot you to the boot chooser menu, where you can select troubleshooting options. Pick the Troubleshooting option, then Advanced options. See if you can load a previous restore point from there.

cooper barrett 11-19-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13223607)
Windows 10 recently forced the fall update on me and now I am having problems gaming on the system.

I5 4500k which one does't matter but https://ark.intel.com/products/serie...ssors#@desktop
12gb ram
R200 series Radeon

Dell system. Would roll back the stupid update, but MS thought it wouls be cool and good to only give you 10 days for that. ****ers.

Fish can take you that direction, it works too but kinda techie.

You can roll it back or should be able to... No issues here but not gaming.

Go to settings , the last entry should be updates follow it to status and then history then scroll way down till you find a windows update by date.

Lets start with what update it installed and the knowledge base numbers and what build you have. I have enterprise 1604 and1703.

BlackHelicopters 11-19-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13223607)

I5 4500k
12gb ram
R200 series Radeon

Apple

Rasputin 11-19-2017 11:30 AM

Have you tried Antifreezeing?

BlackHelicopters 11-19-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13223867)
Have you tried Antifreezeing?

Might as well. PC’s will always let the owner down.

unlurking 11-19-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13223856)
Apple

Linux

BryanBusby 11-19-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13223823)
Launch Events Viewer.
Click Windows Logs.
Click System.
Look for the date/time of your crash.
Identify yellow and red warnings and errors.
See if you can tell what bombed. You should see some unexpected shutdowns and such.
You might find also some useful information under Windows Logs\Application or Windows Logs\Security.

If you record your crash times and keep checking, you'll probably figure out the culprit. That's where I'd start at least.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, hold down the Shift key and select restart from the Win10 menu. That will boot you to the boot chooser menu, where you can select troubleshooting options. Pick the Troubleshooting option, then Advanced options. See if you can load a previous restore point from there.

Looked at event viewer earlier and it just says something about unexpected power, which is what I assume is due to the hard freeze. It doesn't bsod, just hard freeze and I have to cycle.

For some reason, 10 refuses to let me use a restore point.

DaneMcCloud 11-19-2017 02:31 PM

The forced update Tuesday night put my main PC in the Automatic Repair Loop, which led to me restoring from a Disk Image.

Sorry to hear this update has affected others.

vailpass 11-19-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13223856)
Apple

You built your own apple gaming rig?

BryanBusby 11-19-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13225606)
The forced update Tuesday night put my main PC in the Automatic Repair Loop, which led to me restoring from a Disk Image.

Sorry to hear this update has affected others.

This seems to be a real issue every time there's a creators update. ****ing Microsoft deciding it now only wants to give you ten days to roll back.

BlackHelicopters 11-19-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13225702)
You built your own apple gaming rig?

I don’t game. I work.

vailpass 11-19-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13226620)
I don’t game. I work.

LMAO

Okay big hitter.

cooper barrett 11-19-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13225552)
Looked at event viewer earlier and it just says something about unexpected power, which is what I assume is due to the hard freeze. It doesn't bsod, just hard freeze and I have to cycle.

For some reason, 10 refuses to let me use a restore point.

Did you post your built info?

BryanBusby 11-19-2017 09:56 PM

It's a Dell Inspiron 3847 with a 240GB SSD, Radeon R7 250 added and the stock PSU was swapped out for a Thermaltake 500W awhile back.

If I run a game and leave it open, it can stay running for days without any issues. Seems if I start multi-tasking while a game is running it freezes fairly quickly. Didn't have this issue about a month ago.