ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The NFLPA says injury rates are significantly higher on artificial turf than on grass (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348438)

wazu 04-20-2023 11:22 AM

The NFLPA says injury rates are significantly higher on artificial turf than on grass

A pretty bad look for the NFL. Glad Arrowhead has a grass field. Seems like a big key to our success this past half-decade has been good fortune on the injury front. I can't imagine a team making the conscious decision to opt for the "more injuries" approach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...grass-in-2022/

Spoiler!

displacedinMN 04-20-2023 11:59 AM

exception to the rule-Arizona

in other news-water is wet

htismaqe 04-20-2023 12:01 PM

Artificial turf needs to be banned. It's a blight on the sport.

Chief Pagan 04-20-2023 12:46 PM

So is this because the surface is harder when a player lands on it?

Or because the surface provides a better grip for footwear and instead of the foot losing grip a knee blows out?

Or both?

I've always wondered whether on indoor artificial turf fields if you restricted the sort of cleats players could wear, so that at some point their foot would slip instead of their knee blowing out, would that improve player safety?

Chief Pagan 04-20-2023 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16910001)

And what do you do about indoor stadiums?

Hydrae 04-20-2023 12:50 PM

All good questions. I have no idea. I look forward to the discussion though.

htismaqe 04-20-2023 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16910127)

Great question but the answer should never be "well, we don't care if more players get injured".

Megatron96 04-20-2023 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16910125)
So is this because the surface is harder when a player lands on it?

Or because the surface provides a better grip for footwear and instead of the foot losing grip a knee blows out?

Or both?

I've always wondered whether on indoor artificial turf fields if you restricted the sort of cleats players could wear, so that at some point their foot would slip instead of their knee blowing out, would that improve player safety?

Both. The harder surface invites more injuries when players fall/land on it, especially when another player is draped over another when they hit the ground, or if player 1 throws player 2 to the ground.

The faster surface doesn't give, so when a player cuts, pretty much all the torque concentrates in the ankle/knee or particularly when a defender grabs a ball-carrier and adds their momentum/weight to those joints, and eventually the soft tissues have to tear.

O.city 04-20-2023 12:54 PM

It's the actual type of turf used I believe they found.

There are different ones that are better.

wazu 04-20-2023 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16910127)

Probably just grandfather them in. Everybody else needs to make the switch. It would at least greatly reduce the overall number of games being played on artificial turf.

They won't do it though. Titans are in process of replacing grass with turf right now. Guess they felt that they could benefit from having fewer healthy players on game day.

wazu 04-20-2023 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16910141)
It's the actual type of turf used I believe they found.

There are different ones that are better.

Yeah, you'd think they could engineer something that was optimal and even better than grass. Ultimately though grass can tear and rip and it just grows back. Anything artificial has to be tough enough to not do that. Maybe that's just something that can't be overcome.

BleedingRed 04-20-2023 01:00 PM

Well considering Turf varies widely I don't know how to could make that argument.

ChiefsCountry 04-20-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16910001)

Every high school is going to it.

htismaqe 04-20-2023 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16910176)
Every high school is going to it.

Yep. It's much, much cheaper to maintain. And let's face it, HS players getting injured isn't top of mind for most people.

The NFL, and the global stage it occupies, is a whole different ballgame. They can't afford to have their stars sidelined every year due to injuries.

Megatron96 04-20-2023 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16910158)
Well considering Turf varies widely I don't know how to could make that argument.

I bet the NFLPA is only interested in turf installed at NFL stadiums. I also bet that they paid for a study run by actual professionals.