ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Ball Joints and Upper Control Arm 2004 Ford F150 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316364)

SAUTO 07-21-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwwataz (Post 13638426)
Squeal or squeak? There's a distinct difference. I've destroyed enough bushings to know the difference. The bushings will constantly squeak as if you're bouncing on an old metal framed bed.

So will ball joints on any Ford product. Any movement of them will sound exactly like you are describing.

Naptown Chief 07-21-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13638428)
So will ball joints on any Ford product. Any movement of them will sound exactly like you are describing.

I never had to do ball joints on either of my fox bodies so I can't speak from experience there. I've never owned a Ford truck, just my little s10 lowrider. I was actually looking for a Ranger, but I digress.

I've had 4 Subarus and the rear suspension is comprised of 2 lateral links and a trailing arm per side. Each side has 6 bushings from the factory (not including the subframe/differential bushings which is another story for another day). Once you go aftermarket, you're looking at 12 per side. There is absolutely a difference between the sound of those bushings and ball joints, at least on my car, as I just did my ball joints the other day.

Bugeater 07-21-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13638421)
Isn't that thing a solid front axle?

:shrug:

SAUTO 07-21-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13638524)
:shrug:

Check the track bar bushings first

Flying High D 07-21-2018 09:48 PM

^ Bring it in for a look.

cooper barrett 07-21-2018 11:21 PM

At 15 years old just replace all the ball joints and install bushing eccentrics so it can be fully aligned afterwards.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

Simply Red 07-22-2018 12:44 AM

just spray them down with WD40!!!

kccrow 07-22-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13638424)
Well I see just as many uppers fail as lowers.

You recommended not changing the uppers because they weren't bad but then recommended replacement of the outer tie rod ends just out of the blue. That really mate no sense to me.

Now that you and your wife have had your chuckle, I'll explain why it makes sense to me. If it still doesn't make sense to you, I'd love to hear the reasoning to put in my knowledge bank.
So here goes... When the ball joints begin to fail, there is much more vibration. That vibration and movement will be most noticeable at the outer tie rod ends, which are already adept at wearing in close proximity to the lower ball joints. The other factor here is that he's going to need an alignment anyhow, so why not replace the other part that will wear about as quickly right now and get one alignment done? If he doesn't, and they wear out in a few months, he's out another $100+ alignment fee. He did mention the symptom being the wheel jumping around, so it's very possible he has some rod damage already. He also mentioned not really wanting to do this again any time soon. It just seems for the extra $100, it'd be a wise time to do it.

Edit: Also, interesting on the uppers. I can't recall ever having an upper fail under 200,000 miles.

TimeForWasp 07-22-2018 03:20 AM

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

SAUTO 07-22-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13638704)
Now that you and your wife have had your chuckle, I'll explain why it makes sense to me. If it still doesn't make sense to you, I'd love to hear the reasoning to put in my knowledge bank.
So here goes... When the ball joints begin to fail, there is much more vibration. That vibration and movement will be most noticeable at the outer tie rod ends, which are already adept at wearing in close proximity to the lower ball joints. The other factor here is that he's going to need an alignment anyhow, so why not replace the other part that will wear about as quickly right now and get one alignment done? If he doesn't, and they wear out in a few months, he's out another $100+ alignment fee. He did mention the symptom being the wheel jumping around, so it's very possible he has some rod damage already. He also mentioned not really wanting to do this again any time soon. It just seems for the extra $100, it'd be a wise time to do it.

Edit: Also, interesting on the uppers. I can't recall ever having an upper fail under 200,000 miles.

I would think the vibration and movement would be felt worse by the upper ball joint that's right in line with the lower... and why wouldn't you replace the inner tire rods then? They would be getting the same treatment travelling from the outers.

SAUTO 07-22-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13638659)
At 15 years old just replace all the ball joints and install bushing eccentrics so it can be fully aligned afterwards.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm pretty sure you are talking about a different suspension. Unless it's a heritage.

cooper barrett 07-22-2018 07:02 AM

ROFLROFLROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13638704)

This made even my dog laugh.

cooper barrett 07-22-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13638744)
I would think the vibration and movement would be felt worse by the upper ball joint that's right in line with the lower... and why wouldn't you replace the inner tire rods then? They would be getting the same treatment travelling from the outers.

He must have had a Goodyear alignment on a GM truck back in the day..upper lower, inner outer and idler arm and shocks.:D:D:D

SAUTO 07-22-2018 07:15 AM

You forgot the pitman arm that's always bad on those gm products

lewdog 07-22-2018 07:18 AM

I giggled when he said ball joints.