ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Subway Tuna May Be Mystery Meat (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338796)

gblowfish 06-22-2021 09:11 AM

Subway Tuna May Be Mystery Meat

What is that smell???
https://www.eatthis.com/news-subway-...investigation/

There's been an interesting, ongoing discussion about the authenticity of Subway's tuna since two Subway customers filed a lawsuit against America's biggest fast-food chain last January. They argued that Subway "falsely advertised" its tuna as real tuna, while alleging that the ingredient Subway serves is "anything but tuna." Now, the New York Times has completed an investigation of multiple samples of Subway's tuna. The verdict? A fish-testing lab says it's hard to say.

On Saturday, Julia Carmel, the reporter who conducted the investigation just published in the New York Times, said on Twitter: "In January, @Choire thought it would be funny to test a Subway tuna sandwich." She refers to fellow writer and former New York Times Style section editor Choire Sicha, as the two seemed to have hit on a worthy question by fishing around about Subway's tuna—as Carmel tweeted: "Nearly 6 months later, I can finally show the world this 2,500-word deep dive into the world of Big Tuna."

It was a "deep-dive" indeed, as the journalist described her method of procuring samples of Subway tuna sandwiches from three Los Angeles-area Subway restaurants. "It seemed logical to order only tuna on the sandwiches—no extra vegetables, cheese or dressing—as the lab was already wary about the challenges of identifying a fish that's been cooked at least once, mixed with mayo, frozen and shipped across the country." Then, Carmel reported, "I was told that if I packed a Ziploc of Subway tuna into a Styrofoam shipping cooler with a few ice packs and mailed it across the country, the lab could test it."

Carmel reports that in a month's time, the lab (which requested not to be named in the New York Times report) relayed their findings, as quoted in this New York Times article excerpt:

"No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample and so we obtained no amplification products from the DNA," the email read. "Therefore, we cannot identify the species."

The spokesman from the lab offered a bit of analysis. "There's two conclusions," he said. "One, it's so heavily processed that whatever we could pull out, we couldn't make an identification. Or we got some and there's just nothing there that's tuna." Subway declined to comment on the lab results.

AdolfOliverBush 06-22-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15717200)
What is that smell???
https://www.eatthis.com/news-subway-...investigation/

There's been an interesting, ongoing discussion about the authenticity of Subway's tuna since two Subway customers filed a lawsuit against America's biggest fast-food chain last January. They argued that Subway "falsely advertised" its tuna as real tuna, while alleging that the ingredient Subway serves is "anything but tuna." Now, the New York Times has completed an investigation of multiple samples of Subway's tuna. The verdict? A fish-testing lab says it's hard to say.

On Saturday, Julia Carmel, the reporter who conducted the investigation just published in the New York Times, said on Twitter: "In January, @Choire thought it would be funny to test a Subway tuna sandwich." She refers to fellow writer and former New York Times Style section editor Choire Sicha, as the two seemed to have hit on a worthy question by fishing around about Subway's tuna—as Carmel tweeted: "Nearly 6 months later, I can finally show the world this 2,500-word deep dive into the world of Big Tuna."

It was a "deep-dive" indeed, as the journalist described her method of procuring samples of Subway tuna sandwiches from three Los Angeles-area Subway restaurants. "It seemed logical to order only tuna on the sandwiches—no extra vegetables, cheese or dressing—as the lab was already wary about the challenges of identifying a fish that's been cooked at least once, mixed with mayo, frozen and shipped across the country." Then, Carmel reported, "I was told that if I packed a Ziploc of Subway tuna into a Styrofoam shipping cooler with a few ice packs and mailed it across the country, the lab could test it."

Carmel reports that in a month's time, the lab (which requested not to be named in the New York Times report) relayed their findings, as quoted in this New York Times article excerpt:

"No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample and so we obtained no amplification products from the DNA," the email read. "Therefore, we cannot identify the species."

The spokesman from the lab offered a bit of analysis. "There's two conclusions," he said. "One, it's so heavily processed that whatever we could pull out, we couldn't make an identification. Or we got some and there's just nothing there that's tuna." Subway declined to comment on the lab results.

Cliff notes: It's tuna, and Subway blows boat people.

Mennonite 06-22-2021 10:14 AM

Well, their new ad campaign makes a lot more sense now.

https://i.imgur.com/tOXxef6.png

displacedinMN 06-22-2021 10:17 AM

Meatball sub. yes.

all others. No

FAX 06-22-2021 10:24 AM

And what, pray tell, is the "meat" in the meatballs, Mr. displacedin MN?

FAX

gblowfish 06-22-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 15717343)
And what, pray tell, is the "meat" in the meatballs, Mr. displacedin MN?

FAX

I was thinking the same thing. Parts is parts!

htismaqe 06-22-2021 10:33 AM

A few years ago, a team did genetic research on fast food "chicken" from several restaurants.

McDonald's, BK, and several others were using chicken that was 95% or more real chicken.

Subway was using "chicken" that was 50% soy, IIRC.

BlackOp 06-22-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15717356)
A few years ago, a team did genetic research on fast food "chicken" from several restaurants.

McDonald's, BK, and several others were using chicken that was 95% or more real chicken.

Really makes you wonder what the top-down motivation is behind manipulating chicken to the point it's not really even chicken anymore.

Then there was the "pink slime" McDonalds was doing...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dCqKl4Q3hW4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I eat fast food maybe once or twice a year...and remember eating McDonalds and how terrible my body felt afterwards...I wont eat there for free...probably wouldn't if they paid me.

Rain Man 06-22-2021 10:47 AM

It's Subway. Do people really expect it to be actual identifiable food? If you want food, go someplace else.

Mennonite 06-22-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 15717368)
Really makes you wonder what the top-down motivation is behind manipulating chicken to the point it's not really even chicken anymore.

To get to the other side...

...of the New World Order.

MahomesMagic 06-22-2021 10:53 AM

And they very carefully add their ingredients in tiny portions to a roll that is typically stale.

Gross.

loochy 06-22-2021 10:56 AM

This article seems odd to me. In the past, I've seen the tuna....it's in extra large "chicken of the sea" cans and they mix it there. Maybe they've changed their methods?

Also, it tastes, looks, and feels like cheap tuna. Why wouldn't it be cheap tuna? It's not like cheap tuna is hard to ship or keep from spoiling, and neither is cheap mayo. 1 can of tuna, N cups of mayo, mix with a fork - there's a day's worth of tuna. There's very little to be improved with that recipe (from a time/process/simplicity/cost perspective).

Some people just like to throw shit around.

loochy 06-22-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Do you really wonder the motivation?

Cost. Everything is about profit. EVERYTHING.

loochy 06-22-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15717347)
I was thinking the same thing. Parts is parts!

Meat is meat. It doesn't say which cut of meat. They aren't called "NY strip balls".

Grim 06-22-2021 11:01 AM

"It seemed logical to order only tuna on the sandwiches—no extra vegetables, cheese or dressing—as the lab was already wary about the challenges of identifying a fish that's been cooked at least once, mixed with mayo, frozen and shipped across the country."

So.... the author could have and caught a tuna, cooked it, mixed it with mayo, froze it and then shipped it to the lab and still seen "inconclusive" results?
Maybe find another lab? One that isn't "wary" of testing it?

Titty Meat 06-22-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15717356)

That's surprising cuz McDonalds chicken feels different

htismaqe 06-22-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15717403)
That's surprising cuz McDonalds chicken feels different

Chicken McNuggets are ground and pressed so that gives them a kind of rubbery texture.

Mennonite 06-22-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15717372)
It's Subway. Do people really expect it to be actual identifiable food? If you want food, go someplace else.

Exactly. People are cool with going to a restaurant that named themselves after a mode of transportation that is famous for smelling like C.H.U.D. vomit and hobo urine and whose spokesman is a convicted pedophile but they'll be damned if they are going to give them $7.99 for a hoagie that doesn't contain 100% USDA certified organic free range dolphin safe tuna.

The shit is cheaper than Meow Mix, folks, so just relax, enjoy your sandwich, and pretend those green bits are diced celery and not recycled chunks of Ninja Turtle action figures that some Japanese fisherman dragged onto his boat while pulling "tuna" out of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

htismaqe 06-22-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 15717392)
This article seems odd to me. In the past, I've seen the tuna....it's in extra large "chicken of the sea" cans and they mix it there. Maybe they've changed their methods?

Also, it tastes, looks, and feels like cheap tuna. Why wouldn't it be cheap tuna? It's not like cheap tuna is hard to ship or keep from spoiling, and neither is cheap mayo. 1 can of tuna, N cups of mayo, mix with a fork - there's a day's worth of tuna. There's very little to be improved with that recipe (from a time/process/simplicity/cost perspective).

I'm sure they can buy some farm-raised imitation tuna for a fraction of the cost of actual tuna.

BlackOp 06-22-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 15717392)

Yeah...one would think that using cheap tuna/mayo would be the simple way to go.

So why have tuna sandwiches that a lab cant find any discernible tuna DNA in?

Maybe the manufacturer has a deal in place with Subway...where they package it in normal branding containers...and it comes from specific plants. :shrug:

Who knows..but you would think finding traces of actual tuna in a ****ing tuna sandwich would be pretty easy...it would take some deliberate planning to create fake tuna. The real stuff is already cheap...

Donger 06-22-2021 11:13 AM

I Hate Big Tuna.

FAX 06-22-2021 11:17 AM

Suddenly, I'm getting a real Soylent Green vibe from Subway.

FAX

BlackOp 06-22-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 15717429)
Suddenly, I'm getting a real Soylent Green vibe from Subway.

FAX

I thought the same thing...just watched that movie last week.

Titty Meat 06-22-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15717405)
Chicken McNuggets are ground and pressed so that gives them a kind of rubbery texture.

I'm referring to their chicken breast it also feels rubbery

Titty Meat 06-22-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 15717425)
I Hate Big Tuna.

What seafood do you prefer?

Mennonite 06-22-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 15717448)
I thought the same thing...just watched that movie last week.

Edward G. Robinson was a fantastic actor. I think I read somewhere that he was completely deaf when he made that picture.

Donger 06-22-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15717454)
What seafood do you prefer?

Lobster rolls.

Rainbarrel 06-22-2021 11:31 AM

Cole Beasley won't eat it. He will just shoot up some more painkillers.

KCUnited 06-22-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 15717464)
Lobster rolls.

Hot with melted butter or cold with mayo?

BlackOp 06-22-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 15717410)
Exactly. People are cool with going to a restaurant that named themselves after a mode of transportation that is famous for smelling like C.H.U.D. vomit and hobo urine and whose spokesman is a convicted pedophile but they'll be damned if they are going to give them $7.99 for a hoagie that doesn't contain 100% USDA certified organic free range dolphin safe tuna.

The shit is cheaper than Meow Mix, folks, so just relax, enjoy your sandwich, and pretend those green bits are diced celery and not recycled chunks of Ninja Turtle action figures that some Japanese fisherman dragged onto his boat while pulling "tuna" out of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Reminded me of this Onion video...still awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cnWGoH95g0o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger 06-22-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 15717470)
Hot with melted butter or cold with mayo?

The latter.

loochy 06-22-2021 11:35 AM

Did anyone here work at Subway in their younger years? Would you care to elaborate on the tuna practices (or any other interesting tidbits)?

ptlyon 06-22-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 15717473)
Did anyone here work at Subway in their younger years? Would you care to elaborate on the tuna practices (or any other interesting tidbits)?

I didn't, but a friend that owns a little deli shop fists his tuna

htismaqe 06-22-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15717452)

That's probably because they cook everything ahead of time and then just heat it up.

Wisconsin_Chief 06-22-2021 12:14 PM

Subway's meat is bottom of the barrel, that's just a known fact. All their deli meats are turkey based and absolutely loaded with sodium.

However, I can't see the need to 'cut' their tuna with anything considering a tin of tuna is cheaper than a can of cat food at this point.

Unless they're mixing it with potted meat, which is the cheapest food on Earth next to ramen noodles. I guess I could see that.

cosmo20002 06-22-2021 12:29 PM

"Fake" fish (cheaper fish sold as something more expensive) is apparently fairly common in restaurants and grocery stores.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/the-...r-seafood.html

For years, Long John Silvers and Red Lobster were selling "lobster" that was really langostino, which is also known as a squat lobster, but actually isn't a lobster. Now they have to call it "langostino lobster," which is still misleading since it really isn't lobster.

ptlyon 06-22-2021 12:32 PM

But it wasn't a rock...

Bob Dole 06-22-2021 12:43 PM

Just call it Toona and move on. Hell, a lot of the catfish you get in restaurants isn't catfish.

Eureka 06-22-2021 01:23 PM

Subway Tuna has a distinct smell. Can anyone guess what it smells similar too? Here's a clue....

https://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/we...0x350_itch.jpg

ptlyon 06-22-2021 01:32 PM

I smell subway poontang

scho63 06-22-2021 01:42 PM

Anyone who eats at Subway because they think their subs are good has no taste.

Titty Meat 06-22-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 15717464)
Lobster rolls.

Is that what you ate growing up in England?

Kellerfox 06-22-2021 01:53 PM

I remember learning a few years ago (from a Subway corporate exec…) that their “ham” products are actually just turkey dyed with food coloring. For legal reasons, they do contain like 1% ham… but they are 95% turkey.

My old “go to” on the rare occasion I visited Subway prior to that news was a turkey and ham sandwich, now I just get turkey. I’ve got no issue with turkey, but the fact that it was fake ham really bothered me.

Agree that subway is sh*t, but I’ll pick them over McDonalds on a road trip in small town America when nothing else is available.

Donger 06-22-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15717706)

No. In no particular order:

Marmite on toast
Eggy Soldiers
Shepard's Pie
Fisherman's Pie
Fish and Chips
Pickled Onions

Those are the standouts.

loochy 06-22-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 15717653)
Subway Tuna has a distinct smell. Can anyone guess what it smells similar too? Here's a clue....

https://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/we...0x350_itch.jpg

htismaqe 06-22-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 15717717)

Marmite on toast
Eggy Soldiers
Shepard's Pie
Fisherman's Pie
Fish and Chips
Pickled Onions

Those are the standouts.

freak.

Jewish Rabbi 06-22-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15717452)

I thought you were an ass man

KCUnited 06-22-2021 02:08 PM

The British will take something everyone else in the world knows as lobster rolls and name it piddywinkles and chonkers

Donger 06-22-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15717726)
freak.

Oh, and Bangers and Mash

The only thing close to it that I've had since moving here was at a pub in the Gaslamp.

ChiefBlueCFC 06-22-2021 02:18 PM

Pretty sure everything at Subway is a mystery "food"

htismaqe 06-22-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 15717734)
Oh, and Bangers and Mash

The only thing close to it that I've had since moving here was at a pub in the Gaslamp.

Yeah, I'm just messing with ya. I like pretty much all of the things you listed. :)

Donger 06-22-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15717753)
Yeah, I'm just messing with ya. I like pretty much all of the things you listed. :)

I was only seven, so it's not like I had much of a choice.

:)

Found the pub:

https://thefield.com/

I forgot that it's an Irish pub. But the food makes tolerating that easier.

Pablo 06-22-2021 02:31 PM

Jimmy John's tuna salad seems alright to me. Just rare that I'm ever in the mood to run out and order a tuna sandwich from anywhere. And I never have the urge to run out and get some Subway.

ping2000 06-22-2021 02:38 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...90d52bd465.jpg

FAX 06-22-2021 04:13 PM

As the immortal Jared Fogle used to aver ...

"If you can gag it down, it's meat."

FAX

bevischief 06-22-2021 04:18 PM

Then you must not have seen some the documentaries about commercial fishing industry...

D.A.P. 06-22-2021 05:15 PM

Never been to a Subway.

BlackOp 06-22-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellerfox (Post 15717708)
I remember learning a few years ago (from a Subway corporate exec…) that their “ham” products are actually just turkey dyed with food coloring. For legal reasons, they do contain like 1% ham… but they are 95% turkey.

That's just ****ed up...I mean if they are willing to go to those lengths to deceive their customers....who knows what else they are doing.

It takes real effort to be that dishonest...

I dont even want to think about what's in their meatballs....

Eureka 06-22-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 15717961)
That's just ****ed up...I mean if they are willing to go to those lengths to deceive their customers....who knows what else they are doing.

It takes real effort to be that dishonest...

I dont even want to think about what's in their meatballs....

Here is a picture of the meatballs before they're meatballs. A little bit of sauce and Mmmmmmm :drool:

https://image.shutterstock.com/image...-192977519.jpg

Stewie 06-22-2021 06:31 PM

Tuna is one of the cheapest proteins on the planet. Hell, I can buy a 5 oz can for 39 cents. What are they substituting?

Stewie 06-22-2021 06:38 PM

Wait. I'm pretty sure Subway sells tuna salad, not pure tuna. No wonder there's such a conundrum. Stupid journalists are stupid.

Halfcan 06-22-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 15718030)
Tuna is one of the cheapest proteins on the planet. Hell, I can buy a 5 oz can for 39 cents. What are they substituting?

5 oz can = 2 ounces of water .30 ounces of oil and the rest tuna/ whitefish product.

Stewie 06-22-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15718173)
5 oz can = 2 ounces of water .30 ounces of oil and the rest tuna/ whitefish product.

They don't buy tuna in oil and there's about 4.5 oz tuna in water. "Whitefish" by any definition is way more expensive than tuna.

Abba-Dabba 06-23-2021 12:10 AM

who goes to subway and orders anything other than the spicy italian anyway?

Dunerdr 06-23-2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15718444)
who goes to subway and orders anything other than the spicy italian anyway?

Yes, Italians, the only meat cheaper than tuna.

Baby Lee 06-23-2021 01:37 AM

Reminds me of when This American Life tracked down the rumor that 'imitation' calamari was hog butthole.

Ended up strongly doubting, but unable to definitively debunk.

Some mused that the entire episode was conjured to slyly promote food origin legislation.

Ep segment here - https://www.thisamericanlife.org/484...angers/act-one - no embedding enabled.

Monticore 06-23-2021 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 15717717)

Marmite on toast
Eggy Soldiers
Shepard's Pie
Fisherman's Pie
Fish and Chips
Pickled Onions

Those are the standouts.

No Chip Buttys?

ptlyon 06-23-2021 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15718444)
who goes to subway and orders anything other than the italian BMT anyway?

FYP

loochy 06-23-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15718173)

people actually buy the tuna in oil?

Rain Man 06-23-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 15718655)
people actually buy the tuna in oil?

I used to buy that because it's what I got as a kid. Then at some point I finally looked at the labels and realized that I was eating a lot of calories of oil, so I switched.

Why do they make cans of tuna in both oil and water? They don't really taste much different.

Mennonite 06-23-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15718451)

I remember learning a few years ago (from a Subway corporate exec…) that their “Italian” products are actually just Turks dyed with bronzer. For legal reasons, they do contain like 1% Snooki…

Abba-Dabba 06-23-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

ikr, it's subway and they don't use kurobuta pork. gah.

i don't expect mcdonalds to serve waygu either.

Rain Man 06-23-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15718773)
ikr, it's subway and they don't use kurobuta pork. gah.

i don't expect mcdonalds to serve waygu either.

Well, you should raise your expectations.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-or9ViRSXI...5%2529%2Bt.jpg

Donger 06-23-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15718789)

Probably a Wagyu kangaroo.

ptlyon 06-23-2021 12:29 PM

Hope Solo approved

Abba-Dabba 06-23-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15718789)

pssh, clearly overcooked.

Abba-Dabba 06-23-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 15718474)
FYP

I'm trying watch my figure.

Sorry 06-23-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15718825)
pssh, clearly overcooked.

i'd rather them cook it well done at an establishment like mcd than try for any temp. besides that lol

sedated 06-23-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Then there was the "pink slime" McDonalds was doing...

"Pink slime" is actually real beef

htismaqe 06-23-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Bologna.