ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Is Apple TV Useless Or Am I Not Understanding It? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329135)

vailpass 02-08-2020 01:22 PM

Is Apple TV Useless Or Am I Not Understanding It?

I bought a new iPad and activated the free 1 year Apple TV sub.

So near as I can tell it’s just a big collection of shows and services (HBO, etc.),you can pay for. There appear to be a couple of original content offerings.

So is it just an app to show you content you can pay for? What would make someone pay a monthly subscription for it?

Chargem 02-08-2020 03:35 PM

The original content is free for a year and part of what will be a subscription service after the year is up.

The original content is very limited, but that's why its currently free for a year.

Deberg_1990 02-08-2020 03:59 PM

I think they only have around 10-15 shows of original content currently.

I did like 'For all Mankind' I haven't watched anything else.

vailpass 02-08-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14785838)
The original content is free for a year and part of what will be a subscription service after the year is up.

The original content is very limited, but that's why its currently free for a year.

Thanks, thought maybe I was not looking in the right place.

vailpass 02-08-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14785883)
I think they only have around 10-15 shows of original content currently.

I did like 'For all Mankind' I haven't watched anything else.

Thanks for the tip.

Miles 02-08-2020 10:48 PM

You can navigate to the limited content under Apple TV + icon. It’s kind of annoying pay stuff is everywhere.

Also liked For All Mankind but I’ll watch anything space related. There is a new one this week from some of the Always Sunny guys called Mythic Quest that looks promising.

007 02-09-2020 03:04 PM

I loved it until I finished morning show and for all mankind. Now it's pretty worthless. Basically a service to sign up for other services. Amazon already does this and it's available on all platforms.

Why Not? 02-09-2020 09:47 PM

It seemed like it has gotten passed by as many other devices/apps can match or exceed what Apple TV does. Can’t remember the last time I busted mine out.

Fish 02-10-2020 08:44 AM

Along with its own very minimal content, the allure of AppleTV+ is supposed to be that it can link up with lots of other services/apps like Netflix/Prime Video/YTV/etc and show media from all those sources within one app. So you don't have to jump from app to app. But the organization is shit, and it insists on shoving purchases at you that you don't want to pay for.

vailpass 02-10-2020 10:39 AM

Thanks all for confirming. Apple must have some sort of long game in mind because it's unusual to see them face plant at something as bad as it seems they have done here.

vailpass 02-10-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14787956)
Along with its own very minimal content, the allure of AppleTV+ is supposed to be that it can link up with lots of other services/apps like Netflix/Prime Video/YTV/etc and show media from all those sources within one app. So you don't have to jump from app to app. But the organization is shit, and it insists on shoving purchases at you that you don't want to pay for.

So Roku but not as good plus monthly fee?

Deberg_1990 02-10-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14788150)
So Roku but not as good plus monthly fee?

Well, they have had their own Apple TV hardware box for a loooong time.

This is just them creating their own original content.

I do agree it is confusingly marketed.

Bill Brasky 02-11-2020 01:35 PM

I liked the morning show. Great cast and good script.

alpha_omega 02-11-2020 03:21 PM

Wait, im confused now...are we talking about the hardware or the subscription service?

Chargem 02-11-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 14790732)
Wait, im confused now...are we talking about the hardware or the subscription service?

The service, you don't get any additional free hardware for buying an Ipad or Iphone.

Also, I watched Servant and quite enjoyed it, only thing I tried so far.