ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ****The Chris Jones Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299617)

Chiefnj2 04-29-2016 08:34 PM

Don't know much about the kid, but he seems like a good value. Having DLnthat can quickly get in the backfield and disrupt the quick passing game is essential.

JohnnyHammersticks 04-29-2016 08:43 PM

Here's a prediction: this thread will run for 15 years (20 if he makes the HOF), and anyone who bad-mouthed this pick will be ridiculed and humiliated for years and years. Jones could be scary, scary good. Just a prediction...

Jerok 04-29-2016 08:51 PM

I predict he'll stand around on a play in the first game in the 4th quarter when he's tired and Rivers will scramble and find a way out of the pile and throw straight to Gates for a TD. CP will meltdown, the servers will crash, and the radioheads will refer to him as 'Lazy Jones'

BlackOp 04-29-2016 09:08 PM

This guy looks like a real-deal, bad-ass...pairing him with Poe? KC just got better...he has a lot of rush moves for a Defensive lineman.

Time will tell...but Dorsey might have just hit another homerun...

OldSchool 04-29-2016 09:36 PM

According to one of the talking heads when the pick was made, Jones could of been a top 5 pick if he would have stayed another year in school and continued to improve. Steal if this proves true.

Willie Lanier 04-29-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12206378)
This guy looks like a real-deal, bad-ass...pairing him with Poe? KC just got better...he has a lot of rush moves for a Defensive lineman.

Time will tell...but Dorsey might have just hit another homerun...

Not trying to be pessesmistic, he does look talented, but who is he going to take snaps from?

DaneMcCloud 04-29-2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Lanier (Post 12206461)
Not trying to be pessesmistic, he does look talented, but who is he going to take snaps from?

Good ****ing grief

:facepalm:

Willie Lanier 04-29-2016 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12206467)
Good ****ing grief

Please explain, I don't mean to offend in any way shape or form, I was just curious.

Maybe it's been explained earlier in the thread but I'm just coming in.

Frosty 04-29-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Lanier (Post 12206479)
Please explain, I don't mean to offend in any way shape or form, I was just curious.

You know we lost Devito, right? I imagine Jones will take his snaps.

Willie Lanier 04-29-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12206487)
You know we lost Devito, right? I imagine Jones will take his snaps.

My bad

DaneMcCloud 04-29-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Defensive lineman are rotated throughout the game to remain fresh.

If there's less dropoff in talent, then the defense will consistently remain at a high level, despite who's on the line.

It's a win-win, big time.

Willie Lanier 04-29-2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12206494)
Defensive lineman are rotated throughout the game to remain fresh.

If there's less dropoff in talent, then the defense will consistently remain at a high level, despite who's on the line.

It's a win-win, big time.

I forgot about Devito, sincere apologies

Titty Meat 04-29-2016 09:49 PM

Love this pick. Our front is awesome but they really didn't show up against the pats. Need pressure from the dline if you want to beat Brady.

mdchiefsfan 04-29-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Good ****ing grief

Easy, Dane. He is just asking a question LMAO

eDave 04-29-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 12206537)
Easy, Dane. He is just asking a question LMAO

Dane is locked in. No time for bullshit.

BlackOp 04-29-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

TC and pre-season will determine that.

He was blowing by people on the video I watched...I'd have to think Sutton has specific plans for him. He has more moves than Ford...for a DL, that's impressive.

mdchiefsfan 04-29-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

We have been desperate for someone to relieve Poe for quite some time. We also have just recently been able to a have rotation at DL to do just that with Bailey, Devito, and Howard.

Devito has retired, and he wasn't much of a pass rusher. By plugging Jones into that hole alongside Poe and Howard's ability to play 5-tech, we have 3 players with potential to play NT/DE at any given moment as well as Bailey.

Anyone that believes the front line is what wins the war, should be happy with this pick

mdchiefsfan 04-29-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12206541)
Dane is locked in. No time for bullshit.

Hahahaha! Truth!

nceagle_11 04-29-2016 10:15 PM

Considering the lack of interior linebackers and the DL push....maybe we should go back to a 4-3

DaneMcCloud 04-29-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 12206553)
Hahahaha! Truth!

LMAO

Anyong Bluth 04-29-2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIUhuskies (Post 12205012)

Boo Verizon!

Sorry, it was the only thing I had and it's requirement to post negative comments in the new draftee's threads.

RunKC 04-29-2016 10:30 PM

I'd like to see this kid add another 15 lbs in his 2nd year to move up to around 325 lbs. He's so tall and long that he could stand to add that weight and not have any real loss of athleticism.

He's good to go from day one. He uses his huge hands, long arms and elite footwork extremely well.
He has solid strength but that will come.

Man this guy is going to be an awesome interior rusher in the nickel. He's going to be so hard to block, especially for weaker G's.

Beef Supreme 04-29-2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Mike Devito.

Willie Lanier 04-29-2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 12206548)
We have been desperate for someone to relieve Poe for quite some time. We also have just recently been able to a have rotation at DL to do just that with Bailey, Devito, and Howard.

Devito has retired, and he wasn't much of a pass rusher. By plugging Jones into that hole alongside Poe and Howard's ability to play 5-tech, we have 3 players with potential to play NT/DE at any given moment as well as Bailey.

Anyone that believes the front line is what wins the war, should be happy with this pick

Thanks, that clears it up for me. Again, I apologize to you draftniks out there, as I said earlier, I spaced on Devito...

Good, it sounds like a scary rotation of beasts now

Demonpenz 04-29-2016 11:37 PM

he looks slow as **** off the ball. Devito was pretty damn good.

BlackOp 04-29-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 12206717)
he looks slow as **** off the ball. Devito was pretty damn good.

What?...are you sure you were watching the same player I was?

Watch his 40 tape....I thought it was a LB. He makes Devito look like a sloth...and yes, he was a good player against the run.

I usually dont get excited about DL picks but this guy might be something....

mcaj22 04-30-2016 12:10 AM

so this dude is probably penciled in as a DL in the sub for his pass rush. Wonder who plays with him Poe or Bailey

pugsnotdrugs19 04-30-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12206751)
so this dude is probably penciled in as a DL in the sub for his pass rush. Wonder who plays with him Poe or Bailey

They're going to use all 4 of them. That's the beauty of what we have here.

One drive we could go Poe/Bailey. The next could be Jones/Howard. The next Poe/Howard. Then Bailey/Jones.

And they will all remain completely fresh.

It could be special.

smith11 04-30-2016 02:43 AM

like the pick but wished they had a more experienced dline coach than brett reid to oversee his development

NIUhuskies 04-30-2016 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith11 (Post 12206783)
like the pick but wished they had a more experienced dline coach than brett reid to oversee his development

Tommy Brasher will still be on the staff just in a "special projects" role so at least he can help oversee everything

milkman 04-30-2016 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12206732)
What?...are you sure you were watching the same player I was?

Watch his 40 tape....I thought it was a LB. He makes Devito look like a sloth...and yes, he was a good player against the run.

I usually dont get excited about DL picks but this guy might be something....

Penzed.

NIUhuskies 04-30-2016 06:14 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...41feb07046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAUTO 04-30-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Good ****ing grief

ROFL, GRRRRRRRRRRR GET EM DANE

SAUTO 04-30-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 12206548)

Howard is no slouch in getting after the qb either. Bailey either.

They can all get after it

SAUTO 04-30-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12206803)
Penzed.

ROFL

Rausch 04-30-2016 07:29 AM

I would love to see Poe at DE 5-10 snaps a game.

He would rape faces...

Bowser 04-30-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12206882)
I would love to see Poe at DE 5-10 snaps a game.

He would rape faces...

Poe at end and a healthy Houston right beside him? Shiiiiit.....

Simply Red 04-30-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12205022)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Seriously, the man is a brute. And it&#39;s not like this is some scrub offensive line. <a href="https://t.co/3cOl7G1pzW">pic.twitter.com/3cOl7G1pzW</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/726200667203723264">April 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can't really tell at that angle - but looks like he clotheslined LSU RB. I like it. I think that's vs. LSU - my eyes are not as good these days. ha ha

dirk digler 04-30-2016 08:21 AM

This is about Nkemdiche but probably applies to Jones as well and maybe alleviate some concerns about him taking plays off.

Quote:

Buckner, the longtime NFL defensive tackle, said he’s talked to plenty of people about Nkemdiche and not heard negative reviews of the player, and wasn’t worried about his reputation for taking plays off. Buckner said the fact college stars rarely come off the field instead of rotating through should solve most of the problem.

“You show me any player in the country, especially D-linemen, that plays every snap full speed, I’ll give you a million dollars,” Buckner said. “It depends on what your eyes see.. . . In the NFL you’re not going to play 90 plays. With our [roster], he’ll play 30 plays. You take that energy and condense it to 30 plays, you tell me who wouldn’t want that type of player?”

Pablo 04-30-2016 09:23 AM

This big dick monster is gonna crush some fools.

bricks 04-30-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12204779)
This defense is going to be insane.

Dont get your hopes up.

The talent is there but the coaching is still lacking.

Remember, they still have a defensive coordinator who hasn't got a clue on how to make adjustments.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-30-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 12207128)
Dont get your hopes up.

The talent is there but the coaching is still lacking.

Remember, they still have a defensive coordinator who hasn't got a clue on how to make adjustments.

It's obvious the Chiefs feel that defensive injuries derailed them in the playoffs, so the plan remains:

1) Build monster defense

2) Continue to play "2.2, slide on through"-offense.

3) Hope it all pans out.

Bowser 04-30-2016 09:55 AM

They make adjustments just fine in game when everyone is available. They make poor adjustments when players are lost to injury. They just keep employing "the system" rather than changing it up to what the personnel on the field is capable of.

NJChiefsFan 04-30-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12207165)
They make adjustments just fine in game when everyone is available. They make poor adjustments when players are lost to injury. They just keep employing "the system" rather than changing it up to what the personnel on the field is capable of.

I disagree with this. I think Andy is much better at getting the best out of his players vs. Second half adjustments. I always like his scripted starts on Offense vs his adjustments. The buffalo game being an exception.

CoMoChief 04-30-2016 10:21 AM

Still worried about CB position, esp if Peters gets hurt. Hope they can make a trade for someone. Not sure what with whom or how, all I know is Chiefs are walking on a thin wire at that position and one play could resulting in a Peters inj could mean epic troubles for that defense.

But I like how Dorsey is getting value picks in a not so high end draft, where there's not much drop off between 2nd and 4th rd picks, and a real drop off after the teens in the 1st rd. Glad Chiefs were able to trade out of the 1st. Not so sure about trading out of the 2nd there were some players there that would've helped this team.

milkman 04-30-2016 10:32 AM

Okay, now that CoMoChief has weighed in, I am excited about these picks, especially Russel.

mdchiefsfan 04-30-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12207360)
Okay, now that CoMoChief has weighed in, I am excited about these picks, especially Russel.

LMAO

Prison Bitch 04-30-2016 11:21 AM

Prob already posted but he was 37th and Scouts Inc had him 28

BossChief 04-30-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12207555)
Prob already posted but he was 37th and Scouts Inc had him 28

And he was one of the 25 players the NFL invited to Chicago.

Kid has nearly unlimited upside and talks with all the swagger you could want in a player.

When they asked him who he thinks he can be, he immediately and confidently said JJ Watt.

I know that's far fetched, but his kid has a very high ceiling.

ct 05-03-2016 01:49 PM

i got tired of searching for these, time for a bump

Kiimo 05-03-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Watch his 40 tape....I thought it was a LB.

Just not at work.

The Franchise 05-03-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Watch his 40 tape....I thought it was a LB.

You thought a 5.03 forty was a LB?

DJ's left nut 05-03-2016 02:51 PM

Staylor and I had a brief exchange via PM regarding Jones in early/mid February so I can pretty comfortably claim no bias here. This was what I thought about the guy at the time:

Quote:

He sure seems to play with his pads pretty high; kinda surprising for a guy from a program that's ascending. You'd have thought they'd have coached that out of him.

He looks like he's athletic but not explosive, if that makes any sense. Yes, sometimes you'll seem him pop through that line, but for the most part he looks to generate his speed via length (some long legs on that dude) and not necessarily his first step. The length could explain why he loses leverage so often. It makes his speed a little less functional at the next level, IMO.

He does look like a pretty powerful guy. That said, it's a little hard to judge interior lineman watching tape against Mizzou - they were just comically bad on the interior this year. That tape demonstrates it as well as anything you'll see - a lot of those plays were plays where nobody picked him up at all. There weren't a ton of plays in there where he got engaged and shed his man quickly enough to impact the play (and there were a handful where he just stopped if someone got their hands on him).

From that clip, I'd say middle of the 2nd seems like a good spot for him. If he went out there and crushed the cone/shuttle drills, I might move him up a bit. I think he'll struggle as a rookie due to the leverage issues but there's some potential there. You sure like seeing that kind of strength/length in a 5-tech. He'd probably be an excellent 2-gap player but if we're going to stay a little more aggressive with our down linemen, I think there are better fits in this draft.
I went out and dug around on him a little more at the time and came away with the same impressions. I found it interesting that as more and more information came about about him, you saw more and more 'effort' concerns I noted when I said he had a tendency to give up when he was engaged (though I didn't recall seeing the pad level concerns that I have).

That's why I'm not impressed by the 'value' here - I saw the guy as a mid-2nd pick and we got him in the early 2nd; so about where he should've gone. The problem is that I don't see him as being a particularly great fit considering need and scheme. I also hate that we gave up the possibility of the 5th year option and all we got was a 4th rounder in return.

It's funny to see some of the same people that defend picks like Robinson and Hill as 'low risk' guys because they didn't cost much to acquire yet act like the 4th we got (when we used a 4th on Robinson) was some exceptional return to lose out on a chance at Jack and also lose out on a 5th year option for Jones. They didn't interview Jones so it tells me he wasn't nearly as high on their list as they're now claiming given how much weight Dorsey has put on his face to face discussions with prospects in the past.

And for all the talk about how he could've been a 1st rounder - that's almost ALWAYS the case with second rounders. This is just accepted - the 2nd round is full of guys with 1st round talent but with obvious flaws. Jones was effort; it simply wasn't there often enough. Moreover, the draft atmosphere has become like movie posters; producers will comb through 200 movie reviews to find a couple of lines from them that can then get slapped on a poster. Even the guys that made Gigli found a line for their movie poster. That's what social media has done to draft prospects; comb through 100 experts and suddenly EVERYONE is a steal. All under-classmen are guys that would've gone a round earlier if they stayed another year (again, there were people saying Donald Stephenson would've been the best T in the 2013 class had he returned)

SNR referred to this as a low ceiling approach and I think I understand what he means. If we let Poe walk, move Howard inside and put Jones on the edge - that's a serious downgrade on our DL....and it's also probably the best possible ROI on Jones because the alternative is that he's a backup for a couple years before replacing Howard or Bailey. That's a pretty poor use of your 1st rounder, even if you took the guy in the 2nd.

staylor26 05-03-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12214222)
Staylor and I had a brief exchange via PM regarding Jones in early/mid February so I can pretty comfortably claim no bias here. This was what I thought about the guy at the time:

I went out and dug around on him a little more at the time and came away with the same impressions. I found it interesting that as more and more information came about about him, you saw more and more 'effort' concerns I noted when I said he had a tendency to give up when he was engaged (though I didn't recall seeing the pad level concerns that I have).

That's why I'm not impressed by the 'value' here - I saw the guy as a mid-2nd pick and we got him in the early 2nd; so about where he should've gone. The problem is that I don't see him as being a particularly great fit considering need and scheme. I also hate that we gave up the possibility of the 5th year option and all we got was a 4th rounder in return.

It's funny to see some of the same people that defend picks like Robinson and Hill as 'low risk' guys because they didn't cost much to acquire yet act like the 4th we got (when we used a 4th on Robinson) was some exceptional return to lose out on a chance at Jack and also lose out on a 5th year option for Jones. They didn't interview Jones so it tells me he wasn't nearly as high on their list as they're now claiming given how much weight Dorsey has put on his face to face discussions with prospects in the past.

And for all the talk about how he could've been a 1st rounder - that's almost ALWAYS the case with second rounders. This is just accepted - the 2nd round is full of guys with 1st round talent but with obvious flaws. Jones was effort; it simply wasn't there often enough. Moreover, the draft atmosphere has become like movie posters; producers will comb through 200 movie reviews to find a couple of lines from them that can then get slapped on a poster. Even the guys that made Gigli found a line for their movie poster. That's what social media has done to draft prospects; comb through 100 experts and suddenly EVERYONE is a steal. All under-classmen are guys that would've gone a round earlier if they stayed another year (again, there were people saying Donald Stephenson would've been the best T in the 2013 class had he returned)

SNR referred to this as a low ceiling approach and I think I understand what he means. If we let Poe walk, move Howard inside and put Jones on the edge - that's a serious downgrade on our DL....and it's also probably the best possible ROI on Jones because the alternative is that he's a backup for a couple years before replacing Howard or Bailey. That's a pretty poor use of your 1st rounder, even if you took the guy in the 2nd.

Haha I thought about this when we took him. I'm definitely higher on Jones than you are though, so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Also, if you listen to Dorsey's presser about the pick he talks about us meeting with Jones (combine I believe) and he seems pretty well educated on the player.

DJ's left nut 05-03-2016 03:29 PM

I hadn't heard that.

Didn't Jones say he was shocked the Chiefs took him because he never talked to them?

Side note: that pad level really doesn't bother you? Even these gifs people are posting where he's plugging up a play, the guy comes out of his stance almost completely upright. He's going to get absolutely raped at this level trying to do that and for some people their body just does not cooperate trying to change it.

staylor26 05-03-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12214276)
I hadn't heard that.

Didn't Jones say he was shocked the Chiefs took him because he never talked to them?

Side note: that pad level really doesn't bother you? Even these gifs people are posting where he's plugging up a play, the guy comes out of his stance almost completely upright. He's going to get absolutely raped at this level trying to do that and for some people their body just does not cooperate trying to change it.

Yes he did. Sounded to me like he was just so overwhelmed he didn't remember. He also couldn't remember who exactly he spoke to on the phone and that was his reasoning. Those meetings at the combine are very brief.

Like the area scout said though, it's a problem just about all tall guys have coming out of college. He's 21 and still learning. The jump he made from 2014-2015 was so significant I feel very good about his ability to continue to grow. One thing Dorsey and the area scout mentioned was how special our DL group is and they felt he'll fit right in. I think being around those guys will be great for him.

RunKC 05-03-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12214222)

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with the approach.

Here's what we knew going in:
-It was a deep draft and deeper than any draft in the last few years.
-We are not a player away.
-we had a lot of holes/questions created this offseason from Sean Smith leaving, depth for Justin Houston, DAT going crazy, Wilson sucking ass at WR, Chase leaving, Abdullah retiring, DeVito retiring, Jeff Allen leaving, Phillip Gaines coming off an ACL and disastrous depth from Fleming and Cooper.

28 was a barren wasteland. All of the impact players were gone. Could we have trade up? Absolutely. But why? if it was for Lynch, yes do it. Absolutely. Apparently we weren't in love with the kid, so take that FWIW.
In this draft we needed picks to fill those holes with talent that isn't normally there.
Would you rather have trade a 2nd and next year's 3rd for WJIII as your only pick until 126 or would you have Chris Jones, KeiVarae Russell, Parker Ehinger and Eric Murray?
I think that's an easy choice. You have far better odds to hit on a player due to 4 solid players to 1 potential star. That's also 4 starter IMO. If Murray plays Abdullah's role, I think he'll either start or play a lot. Russell could start. Jones will start at some point down the line and Ehinger might start.

I think the value there is so much better due to more picks in a deep draft.

As for Jones, he's got elite size. I think of Malik Jackson when I see him.
Jones has the power, he has nice footwork from his basketball days and he's got pass rush moves.

I think the bottom line is the picks. I truly think that moving down was the right thing to do after seeing what happened.

If you want to see a truly overrated pick, it's Kenny Clark. I think he's a space eater with minimal pass rush ability.

RunKC 05-03-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12214287)
Yes he did. Sounded to me like he was just so overwhelmed he didn't remember. He also couldn't remember who exactly he spoke to on the phone and that was his reasoning. Those meetings at the combine are very brief.

Like the area scout said though, it's a problem just about all tall guys have coming out of college. He's 21 and still learning. The jump he made from 2014-2015 was so significant I feel very good about his ability to continue to grow. One thing Dorsey and the area scout mentioned was how special our DL group is and they felt he'll fit right in. I think being around those guys will be great for him.

After the work this staff has done with Poe, Bailey and especially Howard, I think they deserve some trust.

DJ's left nut 05-03-2016 03:48 PM

I don't think there's any basis for your position that it would've cost a 2nd and next year's third. A 4th and next year's third is far more likely based on what Denver gave up.

But ultimately, the 4th simply doesn't matter. If you truly think Jones is this good, you should've taken him at 28 and gotten the 5th year option.

Again, just look at the amount of talent this team has gotten from the waiver wire and/or as UDFAs - we're better at getting a massive pool, pitting them against each other and separating the wheat from the chaff that way. When you're not tied to any of those players because you've expended no draft capital, it's going to be a true meritocracy. That's how guys like West and Ware are able to stick; they simply played their asses off. But Ware wasn't going to make the team over Davis until Charles got hurt - why? Draft capital.

Drafting a slew of 4th rounders isn't any more likely to yield positive contributions than simply throwing numbers at the problem and using that roster spot on the guy that plays the best. I don't see anything in Ehringer that says he's better than Pughsley but he'll make the team before Pughsley because we used a pick on him.

A pick virtually guarantees a roster spot and given the extremely low success rate of 3rd day picks, it's actually a pretty inefficient use of that spot. When weighed against everything, that 4th round pick has so very little value (and again, people openly acknowledge this when supporting picks like Robinson).

I don't mind the player even if I think he's redundant and a poor allocation of draft capital given our needs. But I hate the approach even more.

O.city 05-03-2016 03:51 PM

I dint get so hung up anymore on starter backup etc. Basically, the defense is gonna have about 15 or 16 starters or so you'd hope that are gonna get about equal snaps.

In the dl spot, you're gonna reach optimum operating snaps or some bullshit out coach used to say. Once you hit and go over, you're diminishing returns.

So now, you've got about 6 guys that you can run out there and say "don't hold back, balls to the wall Lattimer on roids style" and just play with your hair on fire.

Bailey, Jones, poe, howard, williams and whoever else.

RunKC 05-03-2016 04:13 PM

Wow DJ so you're going all in for 1 player and then waiting until the mid 5th Rd? I don't think I'd do that with this draft.

I think In a deep draft like this, you want as many picks as you can get in the top 100 bc the talent there is so good compared to other years.

Of course this depends on what happens. If Chris Jones ends up like our other 2nd rd pick Mitch Morse and KeiVarae Russell ends up like 3rd rd pick Travis Kelce, then we're in business.

All depends on the success of guys we picked, which btw I agree with you about Ehinger being a reach.

DJ's left nut 05-03-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12214340)
Wow DJ so you're going all in for 1 player and then waiting until the mid 5th Rd? I don't think I'd do that with this draft.

I think In a deep draft like this, you want as many picks as you can get in the top 100 bc the talent there is so good compared to other years.

Of course this depends on what happens. If Chris Jones ends up like our other 2nd rd pick Mitch Morse and KeiVarae Russell ends up like 3rd rd pick Travis Kelce, then we're in business.

All depends on the success of guys we picked, which btw I agree with you about Ehinger being a reach.

What the ****? When did I say that?

No. We stay at 28 and still have our 2nd. I'd have gladly sacrificed our 4th and probably next year's 3rd to move up. If I couldn't, I'd have stood pat at 28, taken Jack and red-shirted him (with the luxury of that 5th year player option that I still kept because I didn't foolishly trade out of the round).

And I actually liked the trade back in 2nd, I just thought it was particularly chicken-shit given his approach to the first and how blatantly obvious it was he had a hard-on to get back into the third round. Trading out in the 2nd is fine because there truly is very little consequence at that point. You don't lose any team control. It was just absurd to me that he sat there again and didn't use any of the accumulated draft capital he gained with his original trade down or that he'll have next year given the likely comp picks. Instead he just continued to sit there and hope and just kept rolling snakeyes.

As to Morse - the problem is that you can't hold Jones to the standard of a 2nd rounder because that's not what he was. He was our first rounder; we just bailed out of that pick for a pittance. Had they simply forgotten to turn the card in for 9 picks and then taken him, we'd have still used our 1st round pick to acquire him. That's essentially what we did here, we just picked up a bleh draft pick for our efforts and proceeded to use that pick pretty poorly.

Turning the 2nd into Russell and Murray was great; liked it a lot. Turning the first into Jones and Ehringer...blech.

Chiefnj2 05-03-2016 04:44 PM

Jones or Hargrave? Who will be the better penetrating lineman 3 years from now?

DaneMcCloud 05-03-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12214350)
Turning the 2nd into Russell and Murray was great; liked it a lot. Turning the first into Jones and Ehringer...blech.

I agree but if Erhringer becomes the player that they expect, the trade will have been a success.

Keep in mind, this is a 6'6, 310 technician that's started 51 games at three offensive line positions. Reid's had great luck in the past with Cincinnati players (Travis Kelce, Jason Kelce, Brent Celek and Trent Cole) so he's obviously happy with that particular program.

I couldn't help but think they'd take Westerman, McGovern or Boehm but I'm not going to criticize the choice, due to Reid's past, until if/when the player fails.

staylor26 05-03-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12214405)
I agree but if Erhringer becomes the player that they expect, the trade will have been a success.

Keep in mind, this is a 6'6, 310 technician that's started 51 games at three offensive line positions. Reid's had great luck in the past with Cincinnati players (Travis Kelce, Jason Kelce, Brent Celek and Trent Cole) so he's obviously happy with that particular program.

I couldn't help but think they'd take Westerman, McGovern or Boehm but I'm not going to criticize the choice, due to Reid's past, until if/when the player fails.

This is basically how I feel about the pick.

I will say I felt a lot better about it after watching one of his 2014 games at RG though.

I'd put LDT back at LG and let Ehinger, Reid, and Fulton battle it out at RG.

Here's the game if anybody wants to check it out (Dadi Nicholas is in this game too):

http://youtu.be/jCMRkYnmYPk

staylor26 05-04-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

As far as raw talent goes, Jones may have more than any other defensive lineman in the draft class. He posted a plus-32.5 pass rushing grade against Power Five competition, which was higher than even DeForest Buckner, who was drafted inside the top 10. He'll immediately add some juice to the Chiefs pass rush and has the height (6-6) and length (34 ½-inch arms) to play the run on early downs."
From PFF.

gonefishin53 05-04-2016 07:48 AM

NT Alameda Ta'amu was an under the radar signing this off season. His size (6'3" 248 lbs), strength ( 35 BP reps), and agility (7.52 secs 3 cone) numbers coming out of college makes him a rare athlete for the NT position if the Chiefs training and coaching staff can get him performing to his potential. First unit of Jones, Poe, Bailey and second unit of Howard, Ta'amu, Nunez-Roches would make the Chief's Dline a big, strong, and athletic group for opposing Olines to overcome.

ct 05-04-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin53 (Post 12215394)
NT Alameda Ta'amu was an under the radar signing this off season. His size (6'3" 248 lbs), strength ( 35 BP reps), and agility (7.52 secs 3 cone) numbers coming out of college makes him a rare athlete for the NT position if the Chiefs training and coaching staff can get him performing to his potential. First unit of Jones, Poe, Bailey and second unit of Howard, Ta'amu, Nunez-Roches would make the Chief's Dline a big, strong, and athletic group for opposing Olines to overcome.

Am i the only one who think chris jones is more of a playing time threat to allen bailey than jay howard or dontari poe?

RunKC 05-04-2016 08:00 AM

Dorsey knows there is a better chance that Poe is gone than resigning him. Guys like Kyle Williams and Damon Harrison are making $9.25 and $10 million, so it's no secret that he will want at least $10 million with the probability of that being the baseline.

As for Dorsey's strategy, I agree with it so much bc getting Murray/Russell and Ehinger presents so much value. It was clear that the impact guys were gone, so you get guys who could be solid football players. Guys like Sean Smith and Husain Abdullah who are just good players, but not pro bowlers or elite guys.

Sandy Vagina 05-04-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 12215405)
Am i the only one who think chris jones is more of a playing time threat to allen bailey than jay howard or dontari poe?

My guess is.. if he earns it right away, CJ will provide some fresh snaps behind both RDE and LDE for 2016... as well as some snaps inside at DT when in 4 DL packages.

They can give Poe or Howard rest by sliding CJ to DE as Poe or Howard is in at NT.

In 2017, if Poe walks.. Howard can stay inside at NT, as CJ stays at DE.

ct 05-04-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12215423)
My guess is.. if he earns it right away, CJ will provide some fresh snaps behind both RDE and LDE for 2016... as well as some snaps inside at DT when in 4 DL packages.

They can give Poe or Howard rest by sliding CJ to DE as Poe or Howard is in at NT.

In 2017, if Poe walks.. Howard can stay inside at NT, as CJ stays at DE.

i just see jones more as the penetrator than space eater, which is more what we do with bailey in sub packages

DJ's left nut 05-04-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12214405)

You just kinda have to look at the history of 4th round picks and realize that the odds overwhelmingly suggest that the kid will pretty much be jack shit.

It's not until you sit down and look at the large numbers that you realize just how little 4th rounders and later tend to contribute. Yeah, you can find guys that do because there's a shitload of people picked in the 4th round and later but the percentages are staggering. You're talking about around 1 in 10 guys that become meaningful contributors. If you squint you could maybe get that to 1 in 5.

Do you look at Ehringer and see a better player than Pughsley? Do you see a guy that's likely to be one of the 5-6ish players taken in that round that truly matter?

"If X becomes the player we expect" is kinda the battle cry of the maligned general manager. It's kinda the 'if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle' of the NFL.

It's just been over the last couple of years that I really started looking at historical returns on late-round picks and realized that over large numbers, these guys really just rarely matter at all and when I see a guy that looks shockingly limited but was probably something of a coach's pick, I'm immediately very skeptical.

O.city 05-04-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12215476)
You just kinda have to look at the history of 4th round picks and realize that the odds overwhelmingly suggest that the kid will pretty much be jack shit.

It's not until you sit down and look at the large numbers that you realize just how little 4th rounders and later tend to contribute. Yeah, you can find guys that do because there's a shitload of people picked in the 4th round and later but the percentages are staggering. You're talking about around 1 in 10 guys that become meaningful contributors. If you squint you could maybe get that to 1 in 5.

Do you look at Ehringer and see a better player than Pughsley? Do you see a guy that's likely to be one of the 5-6ish players taken in that round that truly matter?

"If X becomes the player we expect" is kinda the battle cry of the maligned general manager. It's kinda the 'if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle' of the NFL.

It's just been over the last couple of years that I really started looking at historical returns on late-round picks and realized that over large numbers, these guys really just rarely matter at all and when I see a guy that looks shockingly limited but was probably something of a coach's pick, I'm immediately very skeptical.

Moreso, I think you can look at said players that hit and find that they come from pretty much the same handful of teams.

Hopefully Dorsey becomes one of those guys as he's shown to have a good eye for talent.

People malign Fulton but considering where he was oucked, that's a success. I'd like to see him take the lg spot

RunKC 05-06-2016 04:43 PM

Pro Football Focus@PFF-Chiefs 2nd-round pick Chris Jones earned the No. 1 pass-rush grade among defensive tackles in college football last yeaar.

BossChief 05-06-2016 04:48 PM

Let's not set unrealistic expectations for the kid. We're all excited about his potential, but we should be ready for his rookie year to be very underwhelming. Very, very few Dal transition to the NFL and are productive players right away.

I'm kinda expecting him to suck as a rookie.

But 2 years from now....

WATCH OUT.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-06-2016 04:49 PM

Bray throwing bombs down field.

This front 7 eating faces.

Gonna be fun.

KChiefs1 05-06-2016 05:21 PM

Will NFLN cover the Chiefs rookie camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkman 05-06-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12215498)
Moreso, I think you can look at said players that hit and find that they come from pretty much the same handful of teams.

Hopefully Dorsey becomes one of those guys as he's shown to have a good eye for talent.

People malign Fulton but considering where he was oucked, that's a success. I'd like to see him take the lg spot

Fulton is a solid backup center, but if he's starting at guard, with his extreme limited mobility, you got issues.

MahiMike 05-06-2016 06:16 PM

He's no Poe but not bad.

staylor26 05-20-2016 11:03 PM

http://youtu.be/UN4ukFOUCgw

This is my first time seeing this press conference, and don't remember it being posted on here. I really like this kid. He's got personality and he wants to be great. I liked the part about emulating the guys in front of him. He's also got a chip on his shoulder, you can see it.