ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The NFL is being devoured by its own economic model. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310271)

BlackHelicopters 09-23-2017 04:48 AM

Endless commercials, TNF. Amateur football. Any thing possible conceivable notion to make a buck. Spiraling down the drain.

HemiEd 09-23-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13096392)
That article used a shit ton of words to say that the NFL is making so much $ they aren't motivated to innovate and improve the product and have saturated the market with it to the point of diminishing returns.

There is always a point something is going to peak and there isn't much more they can do at this point to innovate the product in my opinion.

They may want to drop the TNF games to drop the saturation but what else could they do?

Having spent 18 years in the Chicago market, I witnessed first hand the point this article is making. It is about marketing, it's a business. Maximum return on investment.

I watched them restore enthusiasm each off season to the local fans with high profile QB/RB draft/free agents. The fans kept eating it up though, they finally had the right guy this time!

Of course, a lot of those fans are also Cubs fans, so the Bears do have that going for them. You couldn't talk to any of them about football without the "85 Bears" becoming the focus of the conversation.

HemiEd 09-23-2017 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13097052)
you don't have to sit through 6 minutes of commercials sandwiched around a kickoff that sails through the endzone for a touchback.

Hammer meet nail. The rules changes have changed the product significantly.

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2017 04:20 PM

The NFL doesn't need innovation. They need to get back to the basics and un**** all the things Goodell ****ed up.

It's a pretty simple model. Do what's right for real fans. At every single turn, the NFL has plowed fans over:
-Games are more accessible to corporations than screaming fans
-The DirecTV contract is moronic in a world of streaming/on-demand
-Stop giving a shit about European fans if you're bleeding American fans
-Change bullshit deals so fans can actually afford NFL merchandise
-Let players have personalities instead of the "protect the shield" bullshit
-Stop appeasing fantasy owners/gambling. We're all tired of the same QBs dominating the league
-Stop watering this down. TNF is a stupid ass idea. Draft coverage is exhausting.

Pretty simple concept. In the million ways Goodell has put $ over fans, do the opposite and un**** this league.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-23-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13097793)
The NFL doesn't need innovation. They need to get back to the basics and un**** all the things Goodell ****ed up.

It's a pretty simple model. Do what's right for real fans. At every single turn, the NFL has plowed fans over:
-Stop appeasing fantasy owners/gambling. We're all tired of the same QBs dominating the league
-Stop watering this down. TNF is a stupid ass idea. Draft coverage is exhausting.

Pretty simple concept. In the million ways Goodell has put $ over fans, do the opposite and un**** this league.

I agree with this. I'd also add that the inconsistency in the way penalties are called is maddening. I love the Chiefs, but there have been times when I've seriously considered giving up watching completely because the penalties are so aggravating.

I have no idea what holding is or isn't, because it appears to happen on just about every play, but it's called at random. It also seems like it happens more often and is called less often when teams are protecting elite QBs.

Defensive pass interference is called excessively, while offensive pass interference is almost never called, even in cases where it appears much more egregious than the DPI that is being called.

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 13097808)
I agree with this. I'd also add that the inconsistency in the way penalties are called is maddening. I love the Chiefs, but there have been times when I've seriously considered giving up watching completely because the penalties are so aggravating.

I have no idea what holding is or isn't, because it appears to happen on just about every play, but it's called at random. It also seems like it happens more often and is called less often when teams are protecting elite QBs.

Defensive pass interference is called excessively, while offensive pass interference is almost never called, even in cases where it appears much more egregious than the DPI that is being called.

Yup. At least get rid of all the bullshit subjective penalties. At least holding is a penalty that gives the team an unfair advantage. Who really gives a shit about taunting and excessive celebration? I can't believe how many games were literally impacted by late taunting calls.

Totally agree on OPI vs. DPI. Let's face it, Goodell made the NFL passing game friendly for ratings and fantasy football geeks.

Flags are so disruptive. I don't know why the NFL thinks flag happy games are watchable.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-23-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13097816)
Yup. At least get rid of all the bullshit subjective penalties. At least holding is a penalty that gives the team an unfair advantage. Who really gives a shit about taunting and excessive celebration? I can't believe how many games were literally impacted by late taunting calls.

Totally agree on OPI vs. DPI. Let's face it, Goodell made the NFL passing game friendly for ratings and fantasy football geeks.

Flags are so disruptive. I don't know why the NFL thinks flag happy games are watchable.

Another penalty that drives me crazy is "12 men on the field" when a player is sprinting off the field while his replacement comes in, and the offense does a quick snap for some free yardage. So stupid.

MarkDavis'Haircut 09-23-2017 11:10 PM

What we are seeing right now is the inevitable downturn after the bubble hit its peak.

Personally, I blame it on the product. The NFL is sterile. College football is vastly more entertaining. More offensive formation, multiple ways to win, etc.

Pablo 09-23-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13098659)
What we are seeing right now is the inevitable downturn after the bubble hit its peak.

Personally, I blame it on the product. The NFL is sterile. College football is vastly more entertaining. More offensive formation, multiple ways to win, etc.

I've watched college football off and on for the last 12 hours today. I've been generally entertained and feel like I've enjoyed the product I've been watching despite not having a real rooting interest in almost any of these games.

I know that won't hold true tomorrow.

MarkDavis'Haircut 09-23-2017 11:16 PM

Same. I watched my Army Black Knights lose a heartbreaker and then I watched some amazing games.

Tomorrow night, I won't be invested until Sunday night rolls around. My interest in non-Raiders games has greatly declined. The product simply lacks.

|Zach| 09-23-2017 11:43 PM

The games are bad. They are just ****ing bad and not interesting or good football. Sometimes the Chiefs are fun to watch because they are my hometown team and I am invested I also think they do some interesting unique things on offense....I can possibly interested enough to see a Raiders or Broncos game as rivals but it is rare I will watch that.

The games are bad. And most the teams a very bad. It just turned into this short pass 7 on 7 barely drop back style that is awful. And the commercials. So many ****ing commercials. Its insane there is barely football getting played.

Meanwhile it is so expensive to go out to the stadium and when you do go there is barely anyone in the whole building that can carry their own booze or handle themselves. Something that used to be a huge joy is just bad. Nothing political about it...it was already rotting.

|Zach| 09-23-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13097793)

Alot of these are really good. Fantasy football is total bullshit.

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 11:47 PM

Directshun thread

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 13098701)
Alot of these are really good. Fantasy football is total bullshit.

You gave up on the NFL a decade ago.

No one cares what you think.

Go play in the street with your soccer ball.

|Zach| 09-23-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13098710)
You gave up on the NFL a decade ago.

No one cares what you think.

Go play in the street with your soccer ball.

What prompted this response? *shrug*

I mean do you disagree? Proof seems to be in the pudding right?