ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Belichick breaks down Chiefs D: "They kind of screwed it up." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320847)

siberian khatru 01-23-2019 12:26 PM

Belichick breaks down Chiefs D: "They kind of screwed it up."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s Bill Belichick breaking down the first two 3rd &amp; 10 NE conversions in overtime.<br><br>Belichick on KC&#39;s defense on the first play: &quot;They kind of screwed it up&quot; <a href="https://t.co/t5KeHueB0U">pic.twitter.com/t5KeHueB0U</a></p>&mdash; Ben Baldwin (@benbbaldwin) <a href="https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1088130140549378048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Full segment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...ghlight_its_a/

buddha 01-23-2019 12:27 PM

That's why they call him the genius...

Why Not? 01-23-2019 12:27 PM

That’s nicer than what we usually say, “these guys ****ing suck!”

O.city 01-23-2019 12:27 PM

My god.

What the **** are they even doing?

siberian khatru 01-23-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14067150)
That’s nicer than what we usually say, “these guys ****ing suck!”

Bill is always the gentleman.

Bowser 01-23-2019 12:28 PM

Is that so, Bill?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...88_634x360.jpg

O.city 01-23-2019 12:31 PM

Narratives change based on a dipshit lining up 4 inches too far.

**** me

Cosmos 01-23-2019 12:32 PM

AFC Championship game, crunch time...and Brady is just playing pitch and catch..JFC.

Bowser 01-23-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14067163)

**** me

This. Everything else is moot - Ford doesn't line up in the neutral zone and we're all making Super Bowl party plans right now.

Bowser 01-23-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmos (Post 14067169)
AFC Championship game, crunch time...and Brady is just playing pitch and catch..JFC.

It was torture knowing it was over as soon as they won the coin toss and then watching it happen. And we all knew it was going to happen.

suzzer99 01-23-2019 12:36 PM

Well silver lining is at least Ford got Sutton fired. Hard to see a SB team firing their DC. Unless we win then maybe he retires. But doubtful. I'm sure they gave him the option to retire gracefully from this and for whatever reason he refused. Stubborn to the end.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14067163)

**** me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14067173)
This. Everything else is moot - Ford doesn't line up in the neutral zone and we're all making Super Bowl party plans right now.

Are we so sure about that?

Ward had the pick and then fumbled the ball. You don't think there wouldn't be a "did he have possession" argument?

FloridaMan88 01-23-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14067176)
It was torture knowing it was over as soon as they won the coin toss and then watching it happen. And we all knew it was going to happen.

Yep and also the fact the defense was completely gassed by that point thanks in part to Sutton’s stupid bend/don’t break strategy that allowed the Patriots to methodically drive down field earlier in the game on long 10+ play drives.

suzzer99 01-23-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

I was still hoping for another turnover. But that was our only shot.

Really do wish Reid would have called TO on second and goal and tried to rally the troops to at least hold them to a FG.

I'd like to see a list of the times the Chiefs D got a 4-down stop when the other team was in clear 4-down territory. And by that I mean all 4 downs - not turnover and not time running out.

I can come up with at least a dozen spots like this off the top of my head so I know if we go back 5 years there are tons of them. The only time we stopped a team on 4 downs I can come up with is the Ravens game.

staylor26 01-23-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14067182)

Ward had the pick and then fumbled the ball. You don't think there wouldn't be a "did he have possession" argument?

Nah he definitely had possession

O.city 01-23-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

I don't think you could have made an argument he didn't

wazu 01-23-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

I was at the game and didn't have best angle, but when I saw it my assumption was they'd run in and claim didn't have possession. (Didn't see the flag thrown.)

suzzer99 01-23-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

He took 3 steps. They weren't gonna overturn that.

O.city 01-23-2019 12:41 PM

Ward caught it and ran 5 yards.

Buckweath 01-23-2019 12:41 PM

Wow so infuriating.

Is that Nelson at the top of the screen, at the outside CB position?

Not sure Cover 2 is a good idea either with the passrush that we have and on 3rd and 10.

chiefforlife 01-23-2019 12:42 PM

We are letting Julian run free into our secondary, meanwhile they are shutting down Tyreek. Unbelievable.

tooge 01-23-2019 12:42 PM

The first play was the worst. How does neither guy take Edelman off the line. WTF?

In58men 01-23-2019 12:43 PM

This makes me ****ing sick.

J Diddy 01-23-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14067177)
Well silver lining is at least Ford got Sutton fired. Hard to see a SB team firing their DC. Unless we win then maybe he retires. But doubtful. I'm sure they gave him the option to retire gracefully from this and for whatever reason he refused. Stubborn to the end.

I’m sure it was a money thing why he didn’t quit.

Gravedigger 01-23-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

In the stadium everyone is sitting still, praying to themselves but really knowing that these are the Chiefs. Mahomes isn't on the field to save us, this is Sutton's defense, and barring some type of miracle we may as well go home early to skip the traffic. Ragland got an interception in the end zone earlier so it could happen again! Nope. Berry, Jones, Houston and Ford have been quiet, maybe they'll step up for one play tonight! Nope. Once Burkhead crossed that goal line, deuces!

Mahomer 01-23-2019 12:45 PM

Sickening watching that first play. Like how do none of these guys in the secondary just want to win??!!? It looks like they are nonchalantly playing their positions with zero desire to compete. Clear house please.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 12:46 PM

Nelson shit the bed. Also, two very, very deep safeties. Can Brady even throw that far anymore? I doubt it. But let's let Edelman and Gronk get free releases and run free across the middle.

suzzer99 01-23-2019 12:48 PM

By this time our D had been on the field for 80 plays or something and were just completely gassed.

Buckweath 01-23-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14067218)
Nelson shit the bed. Also, two very, very deep safeties. Can Brady even throw that far anymore? I doubt it. But let's let Edelman and Gronk get free releases and run free across the middle.

So sickening. Seriously. Nelson and the cover 2 formation. Just terrible.

suzzer99 01-23-2019 12:56 PM

This is so infuriating. Why are our safeties immediately flying backwards and 3rd and 10? For the love of ****ing god - make them complete a bomb but cut off the short pass. QKWJREI@QU)Q#*U)(#E$)(#E$*#)(ER()#o

MMXcalibur 01-23-2019 12:59 PM

Bob Sutton thought we were all on point.
I'll take the word of a Chiefs coach of a Patriots coach thank you very much!

....er, ex-Chiefs coach.

RunKC 01-23-2019 01:00 PM

The first play looked exactly like the Scandrick debacle in the Chargers loss. These guys had no idea what they were doing.

Bob Sutton folks

morphius 01-23-2019 01:08 PM

After watching that, I can't see how we can keep any of our defensive coaches. Simple, everyday lineup and the CB's still don't know what to do. Deep safeties show why Sutton needed to be fired, everyone knew their deep threat has been on IR.

HemiEd 01-23-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 14067209)
I’m sure it was a money thing why he didn’t quit.

yeah, I am pretty sure he would have to wait 6 weeks to get unemployment if he quits and only two weeks if he gets fired. :D

Buckweath 01-23-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 14067292)
After watching that, I can't see how we can keep any of our defensive coaches. Simple, everyday lineup and the CB's still don't know what to do. Deep safeties show why Sutton needed to be fired, everyone knew their deep threat has been on IR.

Nelson messed up badly.

Ward I believe had to move back a bit as Edelman got closer to his other receiver, to make sure he wouldn't be impeded by the other Pats WR like what happened.

But the alignment of the two safeties is just inexcusable and that's 100% on Sutton.

crispystl 01-23-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14067152)
My god.

What the **** are they even doing?

SERIOUSLY it's the ****ing AFCCG for christ sakes. You'd think it was training camp looking at this shit!

FringeNC 01-23-2019 01:27 PM

I thought Berry was going to take care of the screw ups.

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

yep

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 14067330)
I thought Berry was going to take care of the screw ups.

yeah that bullshit narrative can finally end here...

He was embarrassing and had zero impact when it mattered

morphius 01-23-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 14067342)
yeah that bullshit narrative can finally end here...

He was embarrassing and had zero impact when it mattered

Hard to have an impact when the coach has you 45 yards from the play...

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 14067347)
Hard to have an impact when the coach has you 45 yards from the play...

Or when he was guarding Gronk on the biggest pass play of the game to give them first and goal...

BDB excuses are getting tiring...

Chiefnj2 01-23-2019 01:38 PM

If you watch the entire video it is really sad. Offense, Defense and ST.

The first clip, Mahomes locks on Hill. If Mahomes looks to his right, he has Williams with no defender around him.

FlaChief58 01-23-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Yip.

Did I say it right?

OnTheWarpath15 01-23-2019 01:44 PM

I'll take, "No shit, Sherlock?" for $1000 please, Alex.

morphius 01-23-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 14067357)
Or when he was guarding Gronk on the biggest pass play of the game to give them first and goal...

I'm not arguing that he helped at all, doesn't make what I said less true about these plays.

BroncoDork 01-23-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14067202)
The first play was the worst. How does neither guy take Edelman off the line. WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPRwq3QJsk

ModSocks 01-23-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14067305)
Nelson messed up badly.

Ward I believe had to move back a bit as Edelman got closer to his other receiver, to make sure he wouldn't be impeded by the other Pats WR like what happened.

But the alignment of the two safeties is just inexcusable and that's 100% on Sutton.

I don't know how you guys can watch that and come away blaming Nelson.

Dafuq?

That was CLEARLY on Fuller. When the receiver comes across like that the DB's are suppose to switch. There was no way Nelson could've switched his positioning to cover Edleman after that motion.

Fuller was suppose to switch to cover Edelman. Fuller ****ed that up.

Same way he and Scandrick ****ed it up during the Chargers game.

ModSocks 01-23-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 14067357)

6', 210lbs vs 6-6" 265lbs on a jump ball. In ANY sport that's called a mismatch. Football, basketball, Boxing, MMA. It's a ****ing mismatch.

Quit being ****ing reeruned.

ModSocks 01-23-2019 02:09 PM

Jesus, sometimes i forget how stupid this place can be when analyzing players and games.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14067423)

Dafuq?

That was CLEARLY on Fuller. When the receiver comes across like that the DB's are suppose to switch. There was no way Nelson could've switched his positioning to cover Edleman after that motion.

So you think the DB's were supposed to cross? I doubt it.

Scratch that-you are correct. I thought that was Nelson inside. it was Fuller that ****ed up.

ModSocks 01-23-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14067433)
So you think the DB's were supposed to cross? I doubt it.

No, the DB's weren't suppose to cross. That's the ENTIRE reason why Nelson played this coverage correctly and FULLER blew it.

When Edelman crossed in motion and released inside, Fuller was suppose to pick him up.

There was no way Nelson could've picked Edelman up. Fuller had position there to defend that had he actually covered the right guy.

dirk digler 01-23-2019 02:13 PM

So depressing

Quote:

If you notice on both 3rd down stack plays, they kept Gronk and White in to chip block the edge rushers. But KC had man coverage on them, so keeping both of those guys in also took two coverage guys out of the play. So not only did Gronk and White chip block rushers, they drew two more guys out of the play for a total of 4 KC players taken right out of the play by two NE offensive players.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14067438)
No, the DB's weren't suppose to cross. That's the ENTIRE reason why Nelson played this coverage correctly and FULLER blew it.

When Edelman crossed in motion and released inside, Fuller was suppose to pick him up.

There was no way Nelson could've picked Edelman up. Fuller had position there to defend that had he actually covered the right guy.

Yep. You're right. I thought that Nelson was inside, it was Fuller.

comochiefsfan 01-23-2019 02:15 PM

This is disturbing on so many levels. This is shit that you learn in pee wee and the exact same mistake cost us our 2 biggest games of the season (Chargers and Patriots). In both scenarios all you have to do is make one stop. ONE STOP and you win the game. In both cases our defensive backs had absolutely no clue what to do on the play. How does this happen?

A whole other matter is the 2 deep safeties. Everybody in the entire stadium knew that Brady was going to Edelman or Gronk. Brady has a fairly weak arm at this point in his career. Force him to beat you deep. Don't just give him an easy first down. Plus if you force him deep then you give the pass rush more time to get home.

Unbelievable and unforgivable mistakes in the biggest game in the history of the franchise. Thank god Sutton is gone now, but if it had been done a year ago we might be gearing up for the Super Bowl right now.

carcosa 01-23-2019 02:17 PM

I want to die lol

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 02:19 PM

It looks like the motion confused Fuller, which is what it was designed to do, I'm sure. They're in man, and the outside guy motions inside, but just barely inside the slot receiver. So Fuller thinks they're still on the original man, and Nelson takes the now outside reciever which WAS the slot guy-originally Fullers guy.

Anyway, he out-thought himself. Dumb.

bostonhardo 01-23-2019 02:20 PM

Not here to break balls. It was a great game to watch.back and forth the whole way. Just wanted to say I enjoyed sparring with you guys last week. Lot of fun

Let me tell you, the Rams forum is the lamest I've ever seen. It's almost comical.

ModSocks 01-23-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14067461)
It looks like the motion confused Fuller, which is what it was designed to do, I'm sure. They're in man, and the outside guy motions inside, but just barely inside the slot receiver. So Fuller thinks they're still on the original man, and Nelson takes the now outside reciever which WAS the slot guy-originally Fullers guy.

Anyway, he out-thought himself. Dumb.

It seems to be a recurring pattern here with Fuller.

Same thing happened against SD, 'cept it looked like Scandrick ****ed that up.

Either way, there's a lack of communication coming from the slot. This should not be happen.

This is stuff us non-pros figure out playing backyard football.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14067473)
It seems to be a recurring pattern here with Fuller.

Same thing happened against SD, 'cept it looked like Scandrick ****ed that up.

Either way, there's a lack of communication coming from the slot. This should not be happen.

This is stuff us non-pros figure out playing backyard football.

yup.

OnTheWarpath15 01-23-2019 02:29 PM

HOLY ****

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Have you ever seen this many open receivers? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEvsKC?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NEvsKC</a> <a href="https://t.co/Xq9CfZtYQR">pic.twitter.com/Xq9CfZtYQR</a></p>&mdash; Josh Cohen (@jco3215) <a href="https://twitter.com/jco3215/status/1088166010417491969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buckweath 01-23-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14067423)

Dafuq?

Are you sure about that?

If the receivers cross before the ball is snapped, for sure the DB need to switch. But I had in mind once the ball is snapped you keep your man. In this case, it is only after the ball was snapped that Edelman crossed his teammate.

You are probably right but what if Edelman fakes a step inside and then goes outside. It can easily lead to miscommunication or misundertanding by the DBs.

Hammock Parties 01-23-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55 (Post 14067492)
HOLY ****

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Have you ever seen this many open receivers? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEvsKC?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NEvsKC</a> <a href="https://t.co/Xq9CfZtYQR">pic.twitter.com/Xq9CfZtYQR</a></p>&mdash; Josh Cohen (@jco3215) <a href="https://twitter.com/jco3215/status/1088166010417491969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2019</a></blockquote>

Cover 3 and the LCB just completely abandons his zone.

What the **** is that shit.

Molitoth 01-23-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

HOLY ****

Holy shit lol.

JakeF 01-23-2019 02:38 PM

Coaching doesn't matter it's only about talent.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 02:38 PM

wow.

dirk digler 01-23-2019 02:38 PM

I thought Berry coming back was supposed to cure all the DB's communication issues? yeah right

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 14067386)
I'm not arguing that he helped at all, doesn't make what I said less true about these plays.

Nor what I said is any less true about BDB...

MahiMike 01-23-2019 02:40 PM

But Berry is a coach on the field!

DJJasonp 01-23-2019 02:40 PM

The sad thing is - film, probably just exactly the same as this, was watched in the film room by Reid and company 16 other weeks this past year.

And the season before.

Wasted opportunity

Hammock Parties 01-23-2019 02:41 PM

Bob also blitzed two defenders there.

He just vacated two zones completely.

What kind of ****ing coverage is that.

Either Bob is a moron or we have some dudes who have no idea what to do on that particular coverage.

Probably both.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

HOLY ****

LMAO That's ****ing hilarious. The entire right side of the field is just barren of any red whatsoever.

dirk digler 01-23-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14067546)
Bob also blitzed two defenders there.

He just vacated two zones completely.

What kind of ****ing coverage is that.

Either Bob is a moron or we have some dudes who have no idea what to do on that particular coverage.

Probably both.

guaranteed it is both

ModSocks 01-23-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14067536)
I thought Berry coming back was supposed to cure all the DB's communication issues? yeah right

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14067541)
But Berry is a coach on the field!

Hilarious how you all try to pin this on Berry. Everyone else ****s up: Berry's fault.

:rolleyes:

Get over it already,

Chiefnj2 01-23-2019 02:48 PM

I'm not defending Sutton in any way shape or form, but the confusion in covering stacked receivers happened all year long. If you look at Stout's weekly breakdowns on AP he had similar clips almost every week. There is no way in hell Sutton didn't go over these issues during the season. For whatever reason, we have players that don't communicate and/or have difficulty recognizing assignments. Sure, some of it is on Sutton, but a lot of it falls on the shoulders of "experienced" players.

Red Dawg 01-23-2019 02:48 PM

Brady was shit in that game. If Ford doesn't ruin everything with his stupidity it would all be talked about different. They would have lost and hus three picks would be why.

The LOAT. So many times other teams masked his shitty play.

OnTheWarpath15 01-23-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14067550)
LMAO That's ****ing hilarious. The entire right side of the field is just barren of any red whatsoever.

All 5 receivers open on the play. Two of them score easily if Brady sees them.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01-23-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14067550)

It’s either Ward or Lucas who said **** the right side

fan4ever 01-23-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14067303)
yeah, I am pretty sure he would have to wait 6 weeks to get unemployment if he quits and only two weeks if he gets fired. :D

Denny Green quit here in AZ...and then realized he cost himself two million had he let himself be fired.

TEX 01-23-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14067560)
Hilarious how you all try to pin this on Berry. Everyone else ****s up: Berry's fault.

:rolleyes:

Get over it already,

Its even more hilarious if you think Berry didn't **** up. The last time a broken down Gronk owned him, all he had to do was turn around and play the ball on that terrible lob pass, and he bats it down. It was a terrible pass with even worse coverage. Total fail on Berry's part. Look at it yourself if you don't believe it. :shrug:

crayzkirk 01-23-2019 02:54 PM

The games in on NFL Network. I just found out that it's way too soon for me to watch it again.

At some point, the players have to make plays. Is it that BB is a genius or could it be that they draft more on football IQ, fundamentals and intelligence than raw talent?

I see a team that had no clue how to stop another team that simply lined up and played basic football.