ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Clark Hunt: The Chiefs Will Begin Contract Negotiations W/Mahomes This Summer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=331473)

staylor26 05-28-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 14985558)
I don't think a deal is possible without Chris Jones signing first unless the Chiefs cut about 10+ mil off their current cap number. Whatever deal he agrees to, even if team friendly, is going to drive his numbers up this year big time.

I like Chris Jones a lot but I think they messed up by not trading him

:facepalm:

Red Dawg 05-28-2020 11:23 AM

Deal unlike any other? Mmmmmmm.

Pants 05-28-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 14983286)
I actually think Mahomes’ deal is going to cap QB salaries for a while. Teams won’t simply say it’s your turn to get paid so here’s your deal a bit higher than Mahomes. He is so far beyond everyone else in ability and accomplishments that the argument won’t exist from players, GMs, or fans that the next QB should get more than the previous guy, Mahomes.

I don't think that's how this market works. Teams starving for good QB play will always be willing to bid against each other and ended up overpaying regardless of what the best QB in the league is making.

ChiTown 05-28-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

I don't think a deal is possible without Chris Jones signing first unless the Chiefs cut about 10+ mil off their current cap number. Whatever deal he agrees to, even if team friendly, is going to drive his numbers up this year big time.

I like Chris Jones a lot but I think they messed up by not trading him.

What? No. The opportunity to win is now with this Team and with CJ. Strike while the iron is hot and let the chips fall where they may after the season.

RedRaider56 05-28-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14985629)
I think you underestimate the arrogance of other QB’s and their agents. We are seeing it right now with Dak Prescott. Deshaun Watson’s camp leaked to the media that they will demand more from Houston than whatever Mahomes is paid.

That just cracks me up about Watson.. Actually both crack me up but for some reason the Watson rumors crack me up more

Bill Brasky 05-28-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

I like Chris Jones a lot but I think they messed up by not trading him.

We have no idea what kind of offers we were receiving. Obviously we didn’t receive an offer that reflects his market value because we didn’t make a trade.

Sassy Squatch 05-28-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14985629)
I think you underestimate the arrogance of other QB’s and their agents. We are seeing it right now with Dak Prescott. Deshaun Watson’s camp leaked to the media that they will demand more from Houston than whatever Mahomes is paid.

Can't blame him. If I'm Watson I'm shaking down BOB for every single ****ing penny.

JakeF 05-28-2020 01:12 PM

How about 18%(of cap)+ performance bonuses each season for Mahomes?

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-28-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 14991913)
How about 18%(of cap)+ performance bonuses each season for Mahomes?

I've always thought that type of contract is reasonable and a win ,win for both sides.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 14992520)
I've always thought that type of contract is reasonable and a win ,win for both sides.

Only problem with it is it means he has a big cap number every year, and you can't use signing bonuses to spread the money as much.

I think we see something more like Goff's contract, which let's you move money around from signing bonuses and roster bonuses and keep the huge cap hits from nailing you right away. You're always pushing the enormous cap hits down the road.

Tribal Warfare 05-29-2020 09:39 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R4xFeRLidtk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRedChief 05-29-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14993193)
Only problem with it is it means he has a big cap number every year, and you can't use signing bonuses to spread the money as much.

thats why it’s never been done yet. GM’s like the flexibility year to year. Seems to me that in this unique situation, these never before seen $’s that knowing your % of cap taken every year would be a better benefit than flexibility.

Jewish Rabbi 05-29-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14991715)
Deal unlike any other? Mmmmmmm.

$40 mil/year and exclusive rights to plow Clark’s daughter.

eDave 05-29-2020 08:25 PM

A "contract like no other" can mean a lot of things. He's revolutionized the game, why not the papers?

mnchiefsguy 05-30-2020 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14985433)
How did Brady get his cheap ass dildo deals done with the Patriots? Does his agent suck so goddamn bad that the best thing he could come up with was a contract number that screams, "I'm just another cog in the system"

Or did Brady tell his agent, "You work for me. I don't want to be the highest paid QB. Ever. Not even for a single season."

I'm not saying that's what Mahomes will do, only that if that's what he wanted, he would make it work. The whole, "The agent gets paid a percentage of the contract..." thing is great and all, but in the end if the player doesn't like the deal put in front of him, he won't sign the contract.

Brady's wife makes wayyyyyy more money than he does, so he could afford to take less. Pat's gf don't make nearly that much.