ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The possibility of keeping Alex Smith. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309939)

O.city 10-11-2017 09:54 AM

Andy sold in Mcnabb high.

If alex plays at this level all year, that's the highest it's gonna get value wise. What are the chances he does it again next year, a year older?

Discuss Thrower 10-11-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13142112)
What are the chances he does it again next year, a year older?

http://i.imgur.com/AD7Lvzh.jpg

kccrow 10-11-2017 03:47 PM

If they do keep him, here'd be my plan...

Sign:

Beau Allen, NT (PHI)
(reference A. Woods, D. Square)
2 years, $4 million, $1.5 million signing bonus
~ $1.5 million 2018

Re-Sign:
Anthony Sherman, FB
(reference P. DiMarco)
4 years, $8.5 million, $2 million signing bonus
~ $2 million 2018

Tyler Bray, QB
(reference R. Griffen, K. Clemens, B. Weeden, C. Daniel, etc)
2 years, $2.4 million
~ $1.2 million 2018

Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DL
RFA Tender Original Round
~ $1.8 million 2018

Terrance Mitchell, CB
(reference B. Carr, J. Lane, M. Cooper, C. Hayward, etc)
4 years, $22 million, $6 million signing bonus, $8 million guaranteed.
~ $3.8 million 2018

Terrance Smith, ILB
ERFA Tender
~$630k 2018

Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB
1 year, vet minimum $790k

Phillip Gaines, CB
1 year, vet minimum $790k

Estimated 2018 Net Increase Against Cap: $12.5 million
Total Cap Space needed: $12.5 + $5 million buffer + $3 million draft = $20.5 million

Let walk:

LB R. Wilson (RFA)
WR D. Thomas
WR A. Wilson
DB S. Terrell
DB K. Acker
DL J. Jenkins
DL R. Miller
OL J. Devey
OL Z. Fulton
SP D. Colquitt

Other Transactions:

Retire/Release Derrick Johnson, ILB ($8 million cap space)
Retire/Release Tamba Hali, OLB ($7 million cap space)
Release Demetrius Harris ($2 million cap space)
Convert $6 million of Justin Houston's 2018 salary into a signing bonus (gains $4 million cap space 2018)
Total Cap Space Gained: $21 million

Roster:
QB: A. Smith, P. Mahomes, T. Bray
RB: K. Hunt, S. Ware, C. West
FB: A. Sherman
TE: T. Kelce, R. Travis, ?
WR: T. Hill, C. Conley, J. Chesson, D. Robinson, M. Kemp?, G. Deiter?
OL: E. Fisher, P. Ehinger, M. Morse, L. Duvernay-Tardif, M. Schwartz, B. Witzman, C. Erving, ?, ?
DL: R. Nunez-Roches, C. Jones, A. Bailey, T. Kpassagnon, B. Allen
OLB: J. Houston, D. Ford, D. Nicolas, F. Zombo, ?
ILB: U. Eligwe, R. Ragland, T. Smith, K. Pierre-Louis, ?
CB: M. Peters, T. Mitchell, S. Nelson, D. White, P. Gaines, A. Lampkin
DB: E. Berry, R. Parker, D. Sorensen, E. Murray
ST: H. Butker, J. Winchester, ?

Leaves you some holes at TE, OL, OLB, ILB, and P and maybe WR.
You could probably fill 2 of those with cheap vet free agents (esp WR, TE or OL) at the minimum and still have a little buffer for the season, and I don't think the draft will cost the $3 million I have allocated (net cap effect, not total money). You could sign Kemp and Deiter to the 53 for next year and only cost you 960k, so that's a big area to keep the savings IMO.

Couch-Potato 10-12-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 13069145)
If he goes off this year and they think that Mahomes is ready, the FO will likely try their best to trade him for 2nd round picks. Teams who would likely make the trade:

Jags
Texans (depending on how much/if Watson ends up sucking)
Cardinals (Palmer is likely done)
Jets
Bills

Texans have Watson, and two of these team will get early first round QBs. Why cant we just extend/restructure Smith?

jLoy88 10-12-2017 04:29 PM

I love Alex. He is the reason I am a Chiefs fan. I am from Utah and went to most of his college games. I felt he was done dirty by Harbaugh and I couldn't support the 49ers after they cut him during his best season off the heels of an NFCCG. With that said... it only makes sense to trade him after this year. With the season he is having he is guaranteed to bring a first round draft pick and some role players in any package someone puts together for him. His hit to the cap next season is $20m and to get the most out of Mahomes rookie deal we would need to cut him loose. It sucks but thats the reality of this situation. Alex is worth far more to another team and conversely the Chiefs by being traded. Let's all enjoy this year of him though and hope we get our SB.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-12-2017 09:08 PM

:rolleyes: :facepalm:

RealSNR 10-12-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jLoy88 (Post 13145194)
I love Alex. He is the reason I am a Chiefs fan. I am from Utah and went to most of his college games. I felt he was done dirty by Harbaugh and I couldn't support the 49ers after they cut him during his best season off the heels of an NFCCG. With that said... it only makes sense to trade him after this year. With the season he is having he is guaranteed to bring a first round draft pick and some role players in any package someone puts together for him. His hit to the cap next season is $20m and to get the most out of Mahomes rookie deal we would need to cut him loose. It sucks but thats the reality of this situation. Alex is worth far more to another team and conversely the Chiefs by being traded. Let's all enjoy this year of him though and hope we get our SB.

See? This is the kind of Alex fan I like having around. This guy knows the true value of Alex to this franchise in the longterm view comes through trade. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Smith and seeing the bigger picture.

Easy 6 10-13-2017 04:23 PM

If we go all the way and win it, Smith definitely deserves a shot at coming back to defend the title

Anything less than that, and it only makes sense to move on... Alex isnt getting any younger, and we'd be wasting 2 years of Pats 'cheap' rookie deal

RunKC 10-13-2017 07:41 PM

If Alex gets us to the SB it's because he's playing like he currently is. Right now he's playing like Rodgers.

You don't just trade that off.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 10:00 AM

WELP

RobBlake 10-16-2017 10:23 AM

Because mahomes will get 450 yards 4 tds each game

Discuss Thrower 10-16-2017 10:41 AM

Because Mahomes can't throw catchable passes to Demarcus Robinson.

That never happened in the preseason at all behind a garbage offensive line.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-16-2017 11:43 AM

It's only one game.

RunKC 10-16-2017 12:20 PM

Mahomes vs that defense with 3/5 OL out, #2 and #3 WR's out and his best blocking RB out?

Would have been a disaster.

threebag 10-16-2017 01:07 PM

They are just here to shit on the thread