ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Tony Romo, One Week in: Best Commentator in the NFL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310025)

BWillie 09-12-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13077578)
Half joking, but seriously. This dude is a football genius. I was always meh on him as a quarterback, but dude knows the game. For the fan that likes to delve into scheme and the chess match that is football, I could listen to this every game.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/vfxl9/ynjpps" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

At the other end of the spectrum, it sure as shit wasn't Rex Ryan. He was pretty brutal to listen to on MNF.

BWillie 09-12-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13077586)
He's also a rabid KU basketball fan, which I can dig.

Really? Didn't know that. Knew there was a reason I was a romo homo.

Strongside 09-12-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13077651)
Really? Didn't know that. Knew there was a reason I was a romo homo.

Oh yeah. He used to represent regularly in interviews and such.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CceJPuCUEAA3vXn.jpg

T-post Tom 09-12-2017 06:05 PM

As others have indicated, he'll be getting no competition from Mowins and Ryan. They were both total ass.

Strongside 09-12-2017 06:07 PM

Let's put Rex Ryan in the booth with Dennis Miller and have them exclusively do Jets games.

OldSchool 09-12-2017 06:09 PM

Tony Romo was pretty good. that was ****ing Rex Ryan on Monday Night? That was literally the worst broadcast I've ever heard.

tk13 09-12-2017 06:12 PM

I imagine a lot of really good QBs could do this. People really really underestimate how smart some of these great QBs are. Obviously guys like Manning and Brady have that reputation, but most decent QBs are extremely football intelligent. It's why some coaches are super picky about who they bring in to play QB and grill these guys before the draft.

Even a guy like Brett Favre... he gets this reputation as a gunslinger who just ran around and chucked it up. He did do that, but you ever listened to him talk football, it was amazing. The guy was sharp as a knife out there. You have to be able to read and diagnose everything that's going on all over the field.

JoeyChuckles 09-12-2017 06:21 PM

Counterpoint, and I honestly don't know the answer:

Did fans of the Titans/Raiders get tired of him "spoiling" the play a little bit?

B_Ambuehl 09-12-2017 06:25 PM

I thought Rex did a good job the girl who was with was terrible though. Rex provided some insight you normally don't hear from color commentators. Romo was awesome but I hope they don't make him dumb it down. Gruden is more than capable of adding lots of quality color but chooses to pretend to be a dumbass.

srvy 09-12-2017 06:32 PM

He sucked in the first half but settled in for the second and did well. I still feel like im listening to a mix of Jethro Bodine and Gomer Pyle.

OldSchool 09-12-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 13077697)
I thought Rex did a good job the girl who was with was terrible though. Rex provided some insight you normally don't hear from color commentators. Romo was awesome but I hope they don't make him dumb it down. Gruden is more than capable of adding lots of quality color but chooses to pretend to be a dumbass.

There was one point during the game where she was trying to use any phrase other than "pass/threw the ball". It was like ESPN was trying to come up with new catch phrases.

Hammock Parties 09-12-2017 06:34 PM

He called like 10 plays before they happened.

He's really good.

Red Dawg 09-12-2017 06:36 PM

I must confess that is very interesting. Romo is damn fun.

DaFace 09-12-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 13077690)
Counterpoint, and I honestly don't know the answer:

Did fans of the Titans/Raiders get tired of him "spoiling" the play a little bit?

I'm not either of those, so I can't really say for sure, but I wouldn't think so. It seems like a lot in a quick video like the OP, but in reality it was like 8 plays out of, what, 120ish in a game?

BWillie 09-12-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 13077697)

They certainly had no chemistry. Who knows, maybe it will come.