ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers What do you do with obsolete computer equipment? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347725)

Stewie 02-21-2023 08:40 PM

What do you do with obsolete computer equipment?

I recently upgraded to a better system and have two printers and a tower that are pretty much useless. I thought about donating them but that's just passing the uselessness to the next guy.

I know there are places that take old equipment, but what do they do with it? Does 99% end up in the trash after they grab a simple component?

Just curious.

hometeam 02-21-2023 08:45 PM

I put it in a box in my garage and look at it for years and never get rid of it

Groves 02-21-2023 08:49 PM

This is the perfect thread to ask.

If anyone has a DV deck sitting around I’ll be glad to use it before you trash it.

Gotta get these tapes onto a hard drive before it’s too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

displacedinMN 02-21-2023 08:57 PM

We have a county place to recycle. I usually pull everything off the hard drive then break it up.

Groves
Quote:

This is the perfect thread to ask.

If anyone has a DV deck sitting around I’ll be glad to use it before you trash it.

Gotta get these tapes onto a hard drive before it’s too late.
https://www.amazon.com/Dazzle-DVD-Re...7034589&sr=8-9

Stewie 02-21-2023 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16822161)
We have a county place to recycle. I usually pull everything off the hard drive then break it up.

We have a similar recycle program, but doesn't it just end up in a landfill? Are they paying someone $15/hr to separate the metal and plastic?

displacedinMN 02-21-2023 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 16822185)
We have a similar recycle program, but doesn't it just end up in a landfill? Are they paying someone $15/hr to separate the metal and plastic?

no idea. Its hennepin county so anything crooked is possible

Fish 02-21-2023 09:46 PM

Staples will accept most old electronic waste. They may charge for some stuff like CRT monitors or tube TV. Call them and they'll give you a quote if there's any charge.

Chief Pagan 02-21-2023 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 16822147)
I put it in a box in my garage and look at it for years and never get rid of it

This is why my car is on my driveway and not in my garage...

scho63 02-22-2023 12:55 AM

Throw it out in the Dumpster Fire out behind the Broncos Stadium.

Mephistopheles Janx 02-22-2023 02:18 AM

I do my best to pass it on shortly before it becomes obsolete and use any funds, if any, gained from them to put towards the new rig.

That said... that old computer could still have life if you had any need for a storage server or a media center PC (depending on its age).

Frazod 02-22-2023 02:52 AM

Target practice.

My wife had a laptop that died within days of the expiration of the warranty. Took it to an outdoor range in Missouri and went at it with my Garand. The first shot must have hit the battery, because it started burning. The second shot basically blew it apart - flaming chunks of shitty computer went everywhere.

It was very therapeutic. :)

Bob Dole 02-22-2023 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 16822142)
I recently upgraded to a better system and have two printers and a tower that are pretty much useless. I thought about donating them but that's just passing the uselessness to the next guy.

I know there are places that take old equipment, but what do they do with it? Does 99% end up in the trash after they grab a simple component?

Just curious.

We've got a federal prison here that dismantles all of them and sorts out the materials for recycling.

htismaqe 02-22-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16822161)

Why break it up? There's software out there that can wipe a drive to DOD specs. Just nuke it with 1's and 0's and send it on its way, whether you're recycling it or donating it. Places like Goodwill and several charities will take older computer equipment off your hands.

displacedinMN 02-22-2023 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16822543)
Why break it up? There's software out there that can wipe a drive to DOD specs. Just nuke it with 1's and 0's and send it on its way, whether you're recycling it or donating it. Places like Goodwill and several charities will take older computer equipment off your hands.

To me-most of the time old electronics-especially computers are worthless.

My Father in law kept trying to give me his old computers. Hell no. Same with 15 year old Tv's
Our school sold 4 year old Macs for 200 each. Just not worth it to me.

htismaqe 02-22-2023 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16823072)
To me-most of the time old electronics-especially computers are worthless.

My Father in law kept trying to give me his old computers. Hell no. Same with 15 year old Tv's
Our school sold 4 year old Macs for 200 each. Just not worth it to me.

Well hard drives are an exception for me. I always keep old drives, especially if they're new enough to be solid-state. The older platter-based I usually burn. The SSD's I wipe all 0's a few times and then use them for external storage on some other machine like my PS5. I just have a thing against ever giving someone, especially a stranger, a drive that could be data-mined.