ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports MLB baseball expansion - Yea or nay (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316390)

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2018 07:07 PM

MLB baseball expansion - Yea or nay

What do you think? Rumored that Manfred is considering adding a few teams to the MLB.

I usually hate expansion because it means you make every roster worse. And I see it as a money grab. But I kind of like the idea of using it to realign divisions.

Gotta give baseball credit for one thing... relocation is rare, which is great.

Dartgod 07-22-2018 07:09 PM

There should be 32 teams

displacedinMN 07-22-2018 07:24 PM

no. When there are teams regularly losing over 95 games. We do not need more teams.

In fact, I do not see the need for anymore major pro teams.

Chief Roundup 07-22-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13639572)
There should be 32 teams

To do this they would need to realign. They would have to use 4 team divisions and add a North South and remove the Central Division. That would require a lot.

BryanBusby 07-22-2018 07:29 PM

Meh. Don't know if I care either way.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-22-2018 07:30 PM

What cities are being considered?

Chief Roundup 07-22-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13639587)
no. When there are teams regularly losing over 95 games.

Could they fix that by requiring a spending floor similar to the NFL? As well as a hard cap instead of the luxury tax BS?

Prison Bitch 07-22-2018 07:44 PM

They should contract TB and Oakland

Zero fan support. Zero reason to exist

Then move a team to Montreal if they pass a new stadium. Perhaps Cleveland. Or White Sux

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13639593)

According to Manfred. I think I read that it will definitely be one team for the west and 1 team for the east. Many of these cities are actually really strong expansion markets.

“We have a real list of cities that I think are not only interested in having baseball, but are viable in terms of baseball … Portland, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville in the United States, certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada,” Manfred said. “We think there’s places in Mexico we could go for the long haul.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/07/rob-manfred...ble-expansion/

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13639594)
Could they fix that by requiring a spending floor similar to the NFL? As well as a hard cap instead of the luxury tax BS?

The main issue is diluting rosters. There are only so many good players to go around. One of the major reasons for the boom in home runs during the steroid era was the dilution of pitching staffs. Teams that had 5 solid starters ended up with a few really, really bad starters at the end of the rotation. It's great for boosting home run counts. But it leads to a lot of really, really bad baseball.

ChiefsCountry 07-22-2018 07:52 PM

Yes baseball needs to expand. It also has the most of parity of all the pro sports. Doesn't need a salary cap either.

It's looking like they will got back to 2 divisions in each league for travel reasons.

Schedule would be like this:
12 games with each team in your division. 6 home, 6 away
6 games with each team in other other division in league, 3 home, 3 away
3 games with each team in other division in other league. 12 home, 12 away
6 games with interleague rival, 3 home, 3 away

Playoffs
Division Winners automatically to Division Series
Two Wild card games in each league, winners to division series.

WhawhaWhat 07-22-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13639593)

Portland, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville, Montreal and Vancouver according to Manfred.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-22-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13639606)
According to Manfred. I think I read that it will definitely be one team for the west and 1 team for the east. Many of these cities are actually really strong expansion markets.

“We have a real list of cities that I think are not only interested in having baseball, but are viable in terms of baseball … Portland, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville in the United States, certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada,” Manfred said. “We think there’s places in Mexico we could go for the long haul.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/07/rob-manfred...ble-expansion/

Charlotte would be a great city but the current Braves fan base might be hard to overcome. Portland doesn't have much competition. Las Vegas is booming. Not sure on Nashville. Forget Canada especially Montreal. It wasn't a great baseball city. Mexico would be a terrible idea.

Prison Bitch 07-22-2018 07:55 PM

Charlotte. Nashville

(Roars in laughter)

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-22-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13639604)
They should contract TB and Oakland

Zero fan support. Zero reason to exist

Then move a team to Montreal if they pass a new stadium. Perhaps Cleveland. Or White Sux

The A's have a great history. Kill the two Florida teams.

Disclaimer: I am a Pirates fan. So I am not defending the A's out of fandom.