ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs And so the "Matt Cassel to KC" Rumors Begin... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201588)

ChiefRon 02-02-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 5450444)
“But if Kansas (City) were to make that deal, that’s their Matt Ryan. That’s their Joe Flacco. Unlike a Sanchez, for instance, they know he’s playing at a starter’s level. So to them, I think it’d be worth it to do. They’d get their starting quarterback, they know what he’s capable of doing, and they’ve seen him win games at the NFL level.”

I agree with Jim Miller on this, but I actually hope it doesn't happen and we draft Sanchez or Stafford just so I can laugh at all the stupid posts on ChiefsPlanet.

DaFace 02-02-2009 12:52 PM

I must've missed something. I thought that Cassell was UFA this season. What's with all the talk of draft picks? I know they may franchise him, but doesn't that come with a requirement that teams signing him give up a first round pick or something like that?

SAUTO 02-02-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 5451134)
I must've missed something. I thought that Cassell was UFA this season. What's with all the talk of draft picks? I know they may franchise him, but doesn't that come with a requirement that teams signing him give up a first round pick or something like that?

franchise=2 1st rounders, but they can still trade him for whatever

Mr. Flopnuts 02-02-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

They franchise him and a team signs him they're obligated to 2 first round selections. I can't imagine Cassell saying yeah, I'll pass up $15 million for 1 year to get $30 million for 4. Which is about all he's worth at this point IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, the Pats ****ed themselves when they went this route.

ChiefRon 02-02-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

If they franchise him and another team signs him to an offer sheet, the Pats can decide whether to match the offer or not. If they decide to not match, they get the compensation from the other team, depending on the level of the tender offer.

Most likely, the team would negotiate compensation first to avoid having the pay the compensation related to the tender offer.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-02-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRon (Post 5451146)
If they franchise him and another team signs him to an offer sheet, the Pats can decide whether to match the offer or not. If they decide to not match, they get the compensation from the other team, depending on the level of the tender offer.

Most likely, the team would negotiate compensation first to avoid having the pay the compensation related to the tender offer.

I think you're thinking of restricted free agency. If a team signs a franchise player without working out a deal with his team, they are required to give up 2 first round draft picks.

ChiefRon 02-02-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 5451174)
I think you're thinking of restricted free agency. If a team signs a franchise player without working out a deal with his team, they are required to give up 2 first round draft picks.

Yes, you are right, that's restricted FA.

But bottom line is the same: if a team was going to make a play for him, they would negotiate the compensation first to make sure it would make sense and it can be for less than 2 1st round picks.

nychief 02-02-2009 01:08 PM

I don't know about Cassel yet... I mean I think we have to bring in a Vet and a Rookie QB this offseason, but am not sold on Cassel. We bring in Cassel and he is the guy.

EyePod 02-02-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRon (Post 5451190)
Yes, you are right, that's restricted FA.

But bottom line is the same: if a team was going to make a play for him, they would negotiate the compensation first to make sure it would make sense and it can be for less than 2 1st round picks.

Yeah, didn't we do this with JA?

Brock 02-02-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyePod (Post 5451204)
Yeah, didn't we do this with JA?

Yep

Mr. Laz 02-02-2009 01:17 PM

if you trade for cassel then you're stuck because he will demand a long term, starter money contract

better be sure

KCKY-Fan4life 02-02-2009 01:26 PM

2nd Rounder for White Cassel

I say we try and use our 2nd rounder for Cassel, its basically a low 1st round pick. THen we take Crabtree with our #3 pick. We are going to need to fill TOny G's void when he leaves in a few years. How awesome would it be to have 2 WR studs, like Bowe and Crabtree. It would be KC's best WR duo ever.

EyePod 02-02-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 5451240)
if you trade for cassel then you're stuck because he will demand a long term, starter money contract

better be sure

We aren't, and I don't think Pioli is either. *CROSSES FINGERS*

Sully 02-02-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCKY-Fan4life (Post 5451284)
I say we try and use our 2nd rounder for Cassel, its basically a low 1st round pick. THen we take Crabtree with our #3 pick. We are going to need to fill TOny G's void when he leaves in a few years. How awesome would it be to have 2 WR studs, like Bowe and Crabtree. It would be KC's best WR duo ever.

No.

Frankie 02-02-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 5450999)
why aren't you banned anyway?

Good question. Shanahan's son was wondering about the same thing.