ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Durango, CO (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308949)

Bugeater 07-26-2017 06:40 PM

Durango, CO

The Mrs and I will be heading there Labor Day weekend to check the Durango-Silverton train ride off the bucket list. We'll probably stay in the area a couple days so we're looking for other stuff to do, and also possible places to stay. We prefer a cabin type place over a hotel, but nothing fancy.

Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions? I swear I've seen someone here with Durango as their location but can't remember who it was.

Also feel free to express your thoughts on the Dodge Durango in this thread as well.

Baby Lee 07-26-2017 06:48 PM

Accustom yourself to the presence of cinders. ;)

I still have a 'souvenir' kerchief from the train ride from way back when I was a wee one.
Wish I could give you more specific info, as it was perhaps the family vacation I enjoyed the most. We spent several weeks, Royal Gorge, rented a jeep and drove around for a day in Big Boy Basin, recall a really nice RV park in Colorado Springs.

Of all, the best memory was parking the RV for the night just off the highway next to a mountain stream, and just taking a cup to the stream for a cup of the best water ever.

Garden of the Gods
Mesa Verde
Pike's Peak

Remember Cave of the Winds took forever to get to via switchbacks. The long drive stuck in my mind because some Asain tourists pulled into the parking lot way up in the mountains, and the ball joint holding the front wheel of the rental car promptly fell off. Can't imagine the tow out on that one.

Worst memory was Black Canyon of the Gunnison, but I'm sure it isn't applicable these days. When we camped there, the entire sewage system was FUBAR. The entire camp smelled like a Porta-Potty, with both the sewage smell, and the chemical treatment [blue goo] smell.

If you're driving through Kansas to get there, take a moment and savor the scene when the mountains first appear on the prairie horizon. Such a serene, beautiful sight.

Bugeater 07-26-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12975332)
Accustom yourself to the presence of cinders. ;)

I still have a 'souvenir' kerchief from the train ride from way back when I was a wee one.
Wish I could give you more specific info, as it was perhaps the family vacation I enjoyed the most. We spent several weeks, Royal Gorge, rented a jeep and drove around Big Boy Basin, recall a really nice RV park in Colorado Springs.

Of all, the best memory was parking the RV for the night just off the highway next to a mountain stream, and just taking a cup to the stream for a cup of the best water ever.

Garden of the Gods
Mesa Verde

Remember Cave of the Winds took forever to get to via switchbacks. The long drive stuck in my mind because some Asain tourists pulled into the parking lot way up in the mountains, and the ball joint holding the front wheel of the rental car promptly fell off. Can't imagine the tow out on that one.

I took the short steam train ride in Georgetown a few years back so I've had a taste of the cinders.

Been to Co Springs and the Royal Gorge and Pike's Peak, but not Cave of the Winds. We probably won't get back to that area this time around as we're heading to our favorite place in Estes Park afterwards.

lewdog 07-26-2017 06:58 PM

Why did Dodge name a car after Durango?

See if you can find out for me.

Baby Lee 07-26-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12975363)

Why do you think an SUV is a car?

More to your question, the Dodge Durango always seemed to me the closest in marketing to this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ZeFDe44Ddo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Willie Lanier 07-26-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12975314)
The Mrs and I will be heading there Labor Day weekend to check the Durango-Silverton train ride off the bucket list. We'll probably stay in the area a couple days so we're looking for other stuff to do, and also possible places to stay. We prefer a cabin type place over a hotel, but nothing fancy.

Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions? I swear I've seen someone here with Durango as their location but can't remember who it was.

I lived there for a short stint... Great town

Lots of fun things to do, whether it be booze cruising down the Animas, hiking up to some great views, and even just a stroll down main street would be fun for the wife

Bugeater 07-26-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

I don't know, but I always loved the styling of the 1st generation Durango. Can't find one that's not beat to shit or miled out anymore though.

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/d..._oem_2_500.jpg

POND_OF_RED 07-26-2017 07:18 PM

There's a store around there that sells special treats that taste amazing, but make you completely forget the name of the store a couple hours after eating them.

Bugeater 07-26-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 12975396)
There's a store around there that sells special treats that taste amazing, but make you completely forget the name of the store a couple hours after eating them.

ROFL I go to Colorado every year...I've found those stores already.

lewdog 07-26-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12975367)
Why do you think an SUV is a car?

More to your question, the Dodge Durango always seemed to me the closest in marketing to this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ZeFDe44Ddo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jesus Christ you literal douche.

If you can't say car in place of automobile these days, I'm very sorry.

Bugeater 07-26-2017 07:23 PM

NO FIGHTING IN MY THREAD

Baby Lee 07-26-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12975402)
Jesus Christ you literal douche.

If you can't say car in place of automobile these days, I'm very sorry.

Now that's some thin skin.

Geez, if I knew it would end in tears I'd never have even started.

Buck up buttercup.

Just warn us if you plan on calling a hot dog a sandwich.

lewdog 07-26-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12975411)
NO FIGHTING IN MY THREAD

Ok.

Should I state the obvious about getting some weed while you're there or should I assume you've thought of that?

Rain Man 07-26-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Because the Dodge Albuquerque's name plate was too big?

Baby Lee 07-26-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12975425)
Because the Dodge Albuquerque's name plate was too big?

Certainly for that anemic motor they first came out with.