ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Believe it or not, Veach isn’t don’t yet. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332253)

Direckshun 07-06-2020 09:20 PM

Believe it or not, Veach isn’t don’t yet.

So the rocky two years we’re looking at, cap wise, are 2020 and 2021.

But Mahomes just opened up everything by taking a $500m deal that’s still, somehow, a sweetheart deal for those two years, cap-wise.

We are basically at the cap right now assuming our draft picks swallow up the 6m in cap space we have post-Mahomes.

Jones’ deal, if he were extended, could open up about 10m in 2020. And we could have the cap space in 2021 if we do some smart finangling like effectively replace Fisher with Niang and/or extend Tyrann Matthieu and Travis Kelce. All sorts of options on the table there.

Of course, Jones being traded still makes the most sense, given the Chiefs apparent inaction towards him. That would net us 16m, and give us additional draft ammunition to replace Watkins or Jones or Hitchens or any of our starting corners in 2021/2022.

Of course, Jones could simply be traded for a player we could use, like Ngakuoe or Brandon Scherff + draft capital, both options would cost the team less than the Jones megadeal, which would allow us to sign Snacks, or some such player.

Or Jones could be extended and the defense could get further fortified if some free agent studs like Clowney bring their price down.

Give Veach some credit here: if your goal was to get a Jones deal by the deadline, or a well-valued trade for him to get some assets or players in return, then you needed to knock this massive domino down. And not only did Veach do that, he did it in such as way as it gives the team endless flexibility with Mahomes’ contract through at least 2027.

We ain’t done yet, folks. This is the golden era of Chiefs football.

Bugeater 07-06-2020 09:22 PM

I'm not don't yet either! I am just getting started!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-06-2020 09:23 PM

Louis Riddick said on Sportscenter that the Chiefs are negotiating with Jones rn and hope to have a deal by July 15th. Said Mahomes and Jones deals were being worked in simultaneously. The reason why Mahomes probably got done forst is now it lays out exactly how much they need for Jones

Baby Lee 07-06-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMONGOUS BONEREATER (Post 15055021)
I'm not don't yet either! I am just getting started!

Fitting that you would be the one to point out Direck's boner. . .

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-06-2020 09:35 PM

Starting to think Jones gets extended with a long term extension that is front loaded

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">THIS is why Mahomes&#39; contract looks the way it does over the next three seasons. The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> signed off on a $477M contract today, but added only $30,000 of cap in 2020. <a href="https://t.co/jxmFxsNlUk">https://t.co/jxmFxsNlUk</a></p>&mdash; Spotrac (@spotrac) <a href="https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1280341676645666816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 7, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BigRedChief 07-07-2020 09:41 AM

How long do the Chiefs have Veach under contract and locked up?

Deberg_1990 07-07-2020 09:46 AM

Belive it or not...Veach isn't done yet!

I never thought I could feel so free
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just Veach…..

Hammock Parties 07-07-2020 09:49 AM

threepeat

Wisconsin_Chief 07-07-2020 09:51 AM

This all still feels too surreal to me. To have one of the best head coaches of all time, the best young QB in league history, a balls to the walls badass young GM, a roster loaded with young talent and an owner who gives them all the tools to ensure success.

It’s like, am I even a Chiefs’ fan? What the hell is really going on here?

staylor26 07-07-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15055464)

He’s not going anywhere either way.

DRM08 07-07-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 15055485)
This all still feels too surreal to me. To have one of the best head coaches of all time, the best young QB in league history, a balls to the walls badass young GM, a roster loaded with young talent and an owner who gives them all the tools to ensure success.

You couldn't have bad luck forever, could you? Just saying, lol

RealSNR 07-07-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Don't care. When is the last time a class-of-the-league GM bailed ship in the middle of a team's dynasty because the owner was dumb enough not to pay him?

That's all Hunt money, too. It's not cap money.

He's staying.

ChiefBlueCFC 07-07-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

I just googled it -- i too was curious about it -- and wasn't able to find much on length of contract or contract details.

ChiefBlueCFC 07-07-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15055492)
Don't care. When is the last time a class-of-the-league GM bailed ship in the middle of a team's dynasty because the owner was dumb enough not to pay him?

He's staying.

It's just mere curiosity for me. Not concerned at all about him leaving or the Chiefs being unable to afford him

Wisconsin_Chief 07-07-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 15055490)
You couldn't have bad luck forever, could you? Just saying, lol

I mean probably not, but to go from where we were before Reid came along to literally on top of the NFL in every aspect in a matter of 6-7 years is something I never expected in my wildest dreams.

It's like when you used to play Madden as a kid on PS2, take the Cleveland Browns and turn them into an unstoppable powerhouse in a matter of 5 years. It literally happened in real life with this team.

Hydrae 07-07-2020 10:10 AM

Can we now stop trying to compare Dorsey and Veach? We kept the stud!!!

DrRyan 07-07-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

He's staying.

The Jimmy Johnson Jerruh dumbassery is the only one that comes to mind.

smithandrew051 07-07-2020 10:18 AM

EYE HART BURT BEACH!!!!

carcosa 07-07-2020 10:19 AM

I'm isn't don't cumming more Hugely!!!!!

BigRedChief 07-07-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC (Post 15055495)
I just googled it -- i too was curious about it -- and wasn't able to find much on length of contract or contract details.

yeah, nothing out there on how long his contract is. :hmmm:

Why would he leave? At least not until we get some more Super Bowls. But........

The only thing concerning is GM’s can get unlimited money. One of these billionaire owners could throw several brinks trucks full of cash at the guy and not even blink financially. They don’t care about the money, just winning.

mililo4cpa 07-07-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

He's staying.

Agreed, particularly since the Chiefs are the type of organization that really wants longevity and consistency in their front office, the quintessential "family".

Obviously, there is some exception to that (Dorsey, 2007-2012), but it all feels right at this point (owner, coach, GM, QB, roster that all is working in harmony together).....

PAChiefsGuy 07-07-2020 12:51 PM

He isn't don't yet. Well that's good to know.

DaneMcCloud 07-07-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15055017)
Of course, Jones being traded still makes the most sense, given the Chiefs apparent inaction towards him. That would net us 16m, and give us additional draft ammunition to replace Watkins or Jones or Hitchens or any of our starting corners in 2021/2022.

You have no idea where the Chiefs are with the Chris Jones negotiations and nothing matters until July 16th, the day after he's no longer allowed to sign a contract extension.

Deadline deals are done every year.

Quote:

Of course, Jones could simply be traded for a player we could use, like Ngakuoe or Brandon Scherff + draft capital, both options would cost the team less than the Jones megadeal, which would allow us to sign Snacks, or some such player.

What, wait? Why would the Chiefs trade Chris Jones for a player that wants $20 million per year? That makes ZERO sense, just like most of your posts.

Quote:

Or Jones could be extended and the defense could get further fortified if some free agent studs like Clowney bring their price down.

Clowney? Clowney? The Chiefs don't have the cap room for Clowney and they'd be stupid to pay him $15 million or more per year, which is below his asking price.

The Chiefs need inexpensive, productive players, not MORE players in the $20 million per year category.

Sassy Squatch 07-07-2020 01:01 PM

LMAO Even when he's trying to be somewhat positive Direckshun still gets shit on.

RealSNR 07-07-2020 01:07 PM

I think we've been given enough time, and we can confidently say that the idiot tinfoil hatters who thought Veach was hired as a yes-man-only lackey GM to Andy Reid were entirely wrong.

I mean, why would the organization lie about something like that in the first place? What would they have been hiding? There are plenty of teams that have a powerful head coach with official assigned duties involving personnel in which they work alongside a GM. The Eagles straight up said, "Andy does this on the personnel side. Howie Roseman does the other stuff." These days it's not that way. Because Clark Hunt ****ing said so.

It was that way with Dorsey, too. Reid had INPUT, but all well-run organizations give their head coaches input on personnel. That's what they said. In a press conference. And that's what they said when Veach was hired. And that's what Reid continues to say.

Why does everything have to be a goddamn conspiracy theory with some of you morons?

BigRedChief 07-07-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15055849)
I think we've been given enough time, and we can confidently say that the idiot tinfoil hatters who thought Veach was hired as a yes-man-only lackey GM to Andy Reid were entirely wrong.

Reid has spoken publicly many times about not wanting total control of which players play on his team. He said he had total control before and it didn't work out. Not just on the field but for him personally.

He just wanted to get back to coaching but have his opinion valued by the GM. He obviously listens to input. He also has said Mahomes being on this team is because of Veach. Veach bugging him. Leaving tapes/film of Mahomes in his office, giving them to his wife to give to Andy etc.

I think we got a helluva a player aquistion system in place. A potential GOAT QB. A Hall of Famer coach. It's a great time to be a Chiefs fan.:thumb:

Baby Lee 07-07-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15055839)
LMAO Even when he's trying to be somewhat positive Direckshun still gets shit on.

Well you know what them said. . . . 'sometimes when you would the whole thing.'

duncan_idaho 07-07-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15055832)
Clowney? Clowney? The Chiefs don't have the cap room for Clowney and they'd be stupid to pay him $15 million or more per year, which is below his asking price.

The Chiefs need inexpensive, productive players, not MORE players in the $20 million per year category.

I don't think that's really far-fetched.

A Jones deal could clear a lot of his 2020 cap hit. If Clowney continues to be unable to find the long-term, megadeal he wants, he may look for a good one-year situation to increase his stock and accept a lower yearly rate ($12 million?)

KC would certainly fall into that category. Super Bowl contender, lets him play DE exclusively, great talent around him on the DL that ensures he gets a lot of single-team pass rush opportunities, high-scoring offense that's going to force teams to throw the ball a ton...

PAChiefsGuy 07-07-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15055897)

A Jones deal could clear a lot of his 2020 cap hit. If Clowney continues to be unable to find the long-term, megadeal he wants, he may look for a good one-year situation to increase his stock and accept a lower yearly rate ($12 million?)

KC would certainly fall into that category. Super Bowl contender, lets him play DE exclusively, great talent around him on the DL that ensures he gets a lot of single-team pass rush opportunities, high-scoring offense that's going to force teams to throw the ball a ton...

You're a moron.. Clowney isnt coming here. Might as well just pay Chris Jones if that is the case

mnchiefsguy 07-07-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 15055901)
You're a moron.. Clowney isnt coming here. Might as well just pay Chris Jones if that is the case

You seem to be the moron...in Duncan's scenario Chris Jones is paid.

It is not an impossible scenario, but I think someone will sign Clowney eventually for around 15 million...but the closer you get to the regular season without him being signed, the cheaper he will be, and if his price actually does drop to 10-12 million then the Chiefs could be all in on a one year deal.

tatorhog 07-07-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15055544)
yeah, nothing out there on how long his contract is. :hmmm:

Why would he leave? At least not until we get some more Super Bowls. But........

The only thing concerning is GM’s can get unlimited money. One of these billionaire owners could throw several brinks trucks full of cash at the guy and not even blink financially. They don’t care about the money, just winning.

Getting his QB signed long term, gives him a luxury few GMs have ever had. All he has to do is keep a core together around Mahomes while cycling through low cost guys to round it all out. He won't have a hot seat any time soon, unless he just totally shits the bed. If you ask me, that security is worth as much as any short term big payday.

Its a good time to be a Chiefs fan.

BigRedChief 07-07-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah, **** Clowney for $15 million.

Like most here I think resigning Jones just became a helluva lot more probable. :thumb:

duncan_idaho 07-07-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Can you read?

The only way they have $$ to add Clowney is under the scenario of extending Jones long-term and doing it in a way that frees up cap in 2020.

It’s plausible that Clowney will pick a one-year spot that gives him the best chance to increase his market value if he can’t find the mega-deal he’s looking for from a team he wants to play for. This has been rumored before.

So look at the contenders around and look at it from that context. KC definitely would be a situation that gives him the opportunity to have a big statistical, highly visible year.

Is it likely? Shit, I wouldn’t say that. But it would make sense and is feasible if he decides to take that one-year deal at a lower rate with a contender.

DaneMcCloud 07-07-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

I don't think this is a realistic scenario. Clowney's already turned down $18.5 million per year from Seattle and he's turned down Cleveland among other teams. The Raiders recently made a huge pitch to him (the numbers haven't been disclosed but it's been reported that it was much higher than any other offer he's received this year) and he hasn't signed with them, either.

I just can't see a scenario in which Clowney agrees to play for the Chiefs for $10-12 million per and even if $12 million was his asking price, half the league would jump into a bidding war, which would most likely leave the Chiefs out in the cold.

duncan_idaho 07-07-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15056055)
I don't think this is a realistic scenario. Clowney's already turned down $18.5 million per year from Seattle and he's turned down Cleveland among other teams. The Raiders recently made a huge pitch to him (the numbers haven't been disclosed but it's been reported that it was much higher than any other offer he's received this year) and he hasn't signed with them, either.

I just can't see a scenario in which Clowney agrees to play for the Chiefs for $10-12 million per and even if $12 million was his asking price, half the league would jump into a bidding war, which would most likely leave the Chiefs out in the cold.

I thought I read the Vegas offer was lower than what he had received so far, but longer in terms of years.

The whole scenario is built around the idea of Clowney not getting the long-term deal he wants and deciding to take a one-year shot. That's the key "if."

In that circumstance, what would he prioritize - straight money OR the best setup for him to have a crazy year and increase his market value?

DaneMcCloud 07-07-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15056099)
I thought I read the Vegas offer was lower than what he had received so far, but longer in terms of years.

There seems to be varying reports about the Raiders and Clowney, with some saying it's less dollars and others saying it's more dollars than he's been offered to date, so it's a bit difficult to decode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15056099)
The whole scenario is built around the idea of Clowney not getting the long-term deal he wants and deciding to take a one-year shot. That's the key "if."

In that circumstance, what would he prioritize - straight money OR the best setup for him to have a crazy year and increase his market value?

I'm with you and would absolutely LOVE to see Clowney in KC on a one year deal. I'm sure they could find a few guys that would be happy to renegotiate and push their salaries down the line a bit in order to win another Super Bowl and having Clowney for 19 games would be awesome.

But that said, I have difficulty believing he'd sign a deal worth $10-$12 million when he's currently in his Prime. If he tears a ligament, whether it's an ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, pectoral muscle or Achilles, he's not only looking at missing some serious time on the football field, his options for signing a long-term deal at age 28 while recovering from surgery would be slim to none.

With that in mind, I think he'd be better off long term by signing with the Seahawks, Raiders or Browns, who are offering in excess of $17.5 million per, instead of $10-$12 million with the Chiefs, especially considering the possibility of an injury ruining his chance for his big second contract payday.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-07-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 15055485)

I really hope Lamar is looking down going Hell yeah, my son is awesome!

InChiefsHeaven 07-07-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15056366)
I really hope Lamar is looking down going Hell yeah, my son is a goober but he is awesome!

FYP

JohnnyHammersticks 07-07-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15055483)
threepeat

thirteenpeat

Imon Yourside 07-07-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 15056595)
thirteenpeat

Twentypeat!

Direckshun 07-07-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

You have no idea where the Chiefs are with the Chris Jones negotiations and nothing matters until July 16th, the day after he's no longer allowed to sign a contract extension.

Deadline deals are done every year.

Thanks to reputable reporting, I do have some idea. It’s not ironclad but I rely on reputable reporting to give me some idea of what’s coming down the pipeline.

You do the same — you cited reporting that the Raiders offered the most to Clowney. (By the way, the reputable reporting I’ve read disputes that and cites Cleveland as the highest bidder, and that teams as of now have largely rescinded their offers as they’ve grown tired of Clowney’s intransigence.)

Quote:

What, wait? Why would the Chiefs trade Chris Jones for a player that wants $20 million per year? That makes ZERO sense, just like most of your posts.

Just throwing out a name that could be an equitable player ina player-for-player trade. Sub another name in as you please.

There has been some ballyhooing since Spags arrival that Jones is an imperfect fit in the scheme. I agree that he is, but he’s so damn talented it doesn’t matter, which is why I’d pay him.

But we know Spags is a stickler for what players on his DL should look and how they should play. And if he thinks $20m could be better spent on a player that “fits” versus a player that imperfectly fits, who knows.

Quote:

Any deal the Chiefs ostensibly sign Clowney to would be a one-year, in my mind. I could go on but I’d only reiterate what Duncan has said throughout the thread.

Direckshun 07-07-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15055839)

LMAO

Direckshun 07-07-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15055849)

I mean, why would the organization lie about something like that in the first place? What would they have been hiding? There are plenty of teams that have a powerful head coach with official assigned duties involving personnel in which they work alongside a GM. The Eagles straight up said, "Andy does this on the personnel side. Howie Roseman does the other stuff." These days it's not that way. Because Clark Hunt ****ing said so.

It was that way with Dorsey, too. Reid had INPUT, but all well-run organizations give their head coaches input on personnel. That's what they said. In a press conference. And that's what they said when Veach was hired. And that's what Reid continues to say.

Why does everything have to be a goddamn conspiracy theory with some of you morons?

I think, given Reid’s history, it was a valid concern that Veach would be his butt boy. Reid clashes with Dorsey on at least one key decision, and Dorsey was soon ousted.

Though his tenure was imperfect, Dorsey didn’t deserve to be ousted — he was probably the best GM we’ve had before Veach came along. It was reasonable to see this as a power struggle with Reid.

Fortunately, for whatever reasons the Chiefs dismissed Dorsey, they had an even better GM in the wings. What Veach has done the last two seasons has been truly extraordinary.

RunKC 07-07-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15056757)
I think, given Reid’s history, it was a valid concern that Veach would be his butt boy. Reid clashes with Dorsey on at least one key decision, and Dorsey was soon ousted.

Though his tenure was imperfect, Dorsey didn’t deserve to be ousted — he was probably the best GM we’ve had before Veach came along. It was reasonable to see this as a power struggle with Reid.

Fortunately, for whatever reasons the Chiefs dismissed Dorsey, they had an even better GM in the wings. What Veach has done the last two seasons has been truly extraordinary.

For whatever reason? Really? How can you not see the difference here?

Veach has been amazing managing the cap. Dorsey was purely a scout...he just could not manage the cap competently.

Direckshun 07-07-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15056769)

Veach has been amazing managing the cap. Dorsey was purely a scout...he just could not manage the cap competently.

I agree with the criticism. But let’s be honest: dude was a hell of a scout, and his maneuvering to land us Mahomes was the single greatest draft move in Chiefs (and maybe NFL) history.

I’d say Dorsey was the best GM we’ve had so far, other than Veach, who other than his disastrous 2018 offseason has asserted himself since as the GOAT.

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Anthony Hitchens' contract called.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-08-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15056799)

Hitchens was a lot better last year under Spags

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15056800)
Hitchens was a lot better last year under Spags

Perhaps, but that signing was always a mistake.

Outside of that, though, there's not too much to complain about.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 12:11 AM

It’s hard to complain about any of Veach’s contracts in the wake of a Super Bowl win.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-08-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15056801)
Perhaps, but that signing was always a mistake.

Outside of that, though, there's not too much to complain about.

Just don’t put Hitchens one on one against a RB and it’ll all be fine. Aaron Jones torched his ass repeatedly last year

BossChief 07-08-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Clark
Taco
KPass
Speaks
Okafor
Harris
Ward
Hanna

Why would we spend any real money on Clowney?

Veach has the $ to sign the rookies...where would another 15m come from?

Let’s say Clowney would play for 10m for a year...we don’t have it unless we cut some guys.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2020 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15056804)
Clark
Taco
KPass
Speaks
Okafor
Harris
Ward
Hanna

Why would we spend any real money on Clowney?

Veach has the $ to sign the rookies...where would another 15m come from?

Let’s say Clowney would play for 10m for a year...we don’t have it unless we cut some guys.

If Clowney needs $15 million on a one-year deal, it doesn’t work.

But they can find a way to make $10-12 million work if the Jones extension is set up to lower his year 1 cap hit. That could get them to around $14M under the cap.

I’d spend money on Clowney (or Everson Griffen, or Logan Ryan) because it makes the defense better.

Clowney and Griffen would immediately be the second best DE on the team. And major upgrades.

Harris, Danna, and Ward are not factors yet. You’re talking about a round 5 guy and a couple of street FAs.

Taco Charlton is just a Hail Mary signing. Speaks and Kpass are depth. Okafor would probably be another casualty to find the rest of the money, as I think they save $4 million if he’s cut.

It’s mostly a thought exercise. Suggs helped the defense a lot, and I’m not confident they have a second DE on the roster that can give them what he did.

When your GM is as aggressive as Brett Veach, it is fun - and makes some sense - to look at aggressive moves that are at least quasi possible.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 06:15 AM

Pretty much what Duncan said.

Extending Jones lowers his 2020 cap hit and gives you some $ to spend.

I’ve been saying “Wesley Woodyard” for months now and he’s still a free agent, but there’s an over the hill vet to give us a Suggs-esque push, but on the LB level. He’d be cheap at this point too.

Chris Meck 07-08-2020 09:25 AM

Clowney is NOT worth it.

The Franchise 07-08-2020 09:31 AM

I’d take a shot on Logan Ryan with a one year deal if we had the cap space after a Jones signing.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-08-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 15056997)
Clowney is NOT worth it.

I never have liked Clowney. He just seems too hit and miss and thinks he's worth way more than he really is.

RunKC 07-08-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15056799)

His cap hits were $3.6 million in 2018 and $5.28 million last season. That’s cheap.

You guys need to seriously look at contracts on a year-to-year basis instead of the overall contract.

This is the first year he’s making big money and he can be a post June cut next year with only $8 million total dead money. Not great but you guys are acting like this is Justin Houston or Eric Berry contracts

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-08-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

I've heard Veach talk about,he has a team that their sole job is to work on cap numbers and they keep a plan for several years in advance. they already have a plan for what they're going to do in 2022

Bill Brasky 07-08-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

He's staying.

I can't even imagine the scenario where Hunt lets Veach walk. His toughest job yet is the next 10 years. We're going to need to draft at a very high level to keep winning.

Sassy Squatch 07-08-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 15057150)
I can't even imagine the scenario where Hunt lets Veach walk. His toughest job yet is the next 10 years. We're going to need to draft at a very high level to keep winning.

As long as he never dips to 2018 levels again we'll be fine.

Coogs 07-08-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15057158)

Jury is still out on 2018. 1st round used to get Mahomes in 2017. Speaks still has a chance. Nandi is a keeper. Watts is not horrible.

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15056742)
Thanks to reputable reporting, I do have some idea. It’s not ironclad but I rely on reputable reporting to give me some idea of what’s coming down the pipeline.

Where was the "reputable reporting" when it came to Mahomes contract?

There's been NO reporting on Chris Jones because there's been nothing to report, yet it doesn't stop you from constantly speculating.

Quote:

You do the same — you cited reporting that the Raiders offered the most to Clowney. (By the way, the reputable reporting I’ve read disputes that and cites Cleveland as the highest bidder, and that teams as of now have largely rescinded their offers as they’ve grown tired of Clowney’s intransigence.)

That's because multiple news outlets have run stories on Clowney's situation, including the Browns, Seattle and Raiders offers.

No one has said anything about Jones other than there's nothing to report.

Quote:

Just throwing out a name that could be an equitable player ina player-for-player trade. Sub another name in as you please.

And it makes zero sense to do so.

The Chiefs aren't looking to replace Jones with another player who's worth $20 million per year. If they're not going to extend Jones, they'll want draft pick compensation, i.e., cheap labor, in return. They're not looking to add another player that's going to max out their cap and flexibility.

Quote:

There has been some ballyhooing since Spags arrival that Jones is an imperfect fit in the scheme. I agree that he is, but he’s so damn talented it doesn’t matter, which is why I’d pay him.

But we know Spags is a stickler for what players on his DL should look and how they should play. And if he thinks $20m could be better spent on a player that “fits” versus a player that imperfectly fits, who knows.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Quote:

Any deal the Chiefs ostensibly sign Clowney to would be a one-year, in my mind. I could go on but I’d only reiterate what Duncan has said throughout the thread.

And as I've said, there's no way Clowney signs for $10 million at age 27 when he's passed on $18.5 million per from Seattle, another team that was a few plays away last season from the Super Bowl.

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Take a look at the 2018 draft overall and you'll see that it wasn't a year that was particularly loaded.

It's certainly not like the 2017 draft in which Dorsey could have taken JuJu or Kamara over Tanoh or George Kittle and Desmond King over Jehu Chesson.

Some years are just better than others for overall talent.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 15057167)
Jury is still out on 2018. 1st round used to get Mahomes in 2017. Speaks still has a chance. Nandi is a keeper. Watts is not horrible.

The jury came back after the AFCCG.

The Chiefs failed to add a single difference maker on defense, and the rookie class was so bad that year Andrew Wylie, who wasn’t even drafted, won the team’s rookie of the year.

Coogs 07-08-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15057320)
The jury came back after the AFCCG.

The Chiefs failed to add a single difference maker on defense, and the rookie class was so bad that year Andrew Wylie, who wasn’t even drafted, won the team’s rookie of the year.

Don't dagree.

Mahomes always figures into the 18 draft. Needed that chip to get him in 17.
Nandi is a huge piece of the D-line
Speaks still could be.
Watts and DOD are still pieces that contribute. ST's count too. As does depth.

staylor26 07-08-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Unless we don’t have a 1st round pick in a weak draft, it won’t.

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15057029)
His cap hits were $3.6 million in 2018 and $5.28 million last season. That’s cheap.

You guys need to seriously look at contracts on a year-to-year basis instead of the overall contract.

This is the first year he’s making big money and he can be a post June cut next year with only $8 million total dead money. Not great but you guys are acting like this is Justin Houston or Eric Berry contracts

8 million dead money is significant. That's a Travis Kelce sitting around in dead money.

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15056847)
If Clowney needs $15 million on a one-year deal, it doesn’t work.

But they can find a way to make $10-12 million work if the Jones extension is set up to lower his year 1 cap hit. That could get them to around $14M under the cap.

I’d spend money on Clowney (or Everson Griffen, or Logan Ryan) because it makes the defense better.

Clowney and Griffen would immediately be the second best DE on the team. And major upgrades.

Harris, Danna, and Ward are not factors yet. You’re talking about a round 5 guy and a couple of street FAs.

Taco Charlton is just a Hail Mary signing. Speaks and Kpass are depth. Okafor would probably be another casualty to find the rest of the money, as I think they save $4 million if he’s cut.

It’s mostly a thought exercise. Suggs helped the defense a lot, and I’m not confident they have a second DE on the roster that can give them what he did.

When your GM is as aggressive as Brett Veach, it is fun - and makes some sense - to look at aggressive moves that are at least quasi possible.

Tanoh started and played most of the Super Bowl. That seems to be more than "depth."

Coogs 07-08-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15057344)
Tanoh started and played most of the Super Bowl. That seems to be more than "depth."

He came in for Jones on the first drive. When he came in is when the drive stalled for the 49ers and they had to settle for the FG.

RealSNR 07-08-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15057220)
Take a look at the 2018 draft overall and you'll see that it wasn't a year that was particularly loaded.

It's certainly not like the 2017 draft in which Dorsey could have taken JuJu or Kamara over Tanoh or George Kittle and Desmond King over Jehu Chesson.

Some years are just better than others for overall talent.

2018 isn't the greatest draft in Chiefs history, but even then time has shown that it wasn't the worst, either.

Derrick Nnadi is a pretty damn good player. He's started every single game as a pro, and he earned all of those starts by winning the job under two entirely different coaching staffs. Daly and Spags didn't owe Nnadi jack shit in 2019-- he had to earn that starting spot at NT, which he did.

We got a starter out of the draft, and we're going to get 4 complete seasons of cheap yet solid play out of him. No redshirt years.

You usually hope to get more out of that in any particular draft, and while it's true that Speaks, Watts, and O'Daniel could all get cut this offseason, it's more likely we'll get 2 of them to stick around and at least provide some depth (not sure about O'Daniel at this point).

In any case, it sure beats Pioli's first draft as GM.

Sassy Squatch 07-08-2020 12:45 PM

I'll actually be a bit shocked if Speaks doesn't break out a bit. He's legit playing for his career now and from what I've seen is in the best shape since joining the Chiefs.

Coogs 07-08-2020 12:48 PM

All of those defenders in the 18 class had Bob in 18, and Spags in 19. This year will start to tell the overall grade on that class. The Mahomes piece needed from that year and Nnadi make the draft solid. Speaks, DOD, and Watts have a chance to make it a pretty damn good draft.

It's the trade for Speaks that irritates everyone. He has a chance to silence those critics this season. Playing out of position under Bob shouldn't be factored in. Nor should pulling up on the tackle on Brady the way flags were flying at that time in that season.

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15057352)
2018 isn't the greatest draft in Chiefs history, but even then time has shown that it wasn't the worst, either.

Derrick Nnadi is a pretty damn good player. He's started every single game as a pro, and he earned all of those starts by winning the job under two entirely different coaching staffs. Daly and Spags didn't owe Nnadi jack shit in 2019-- he had to earn that starting spot at NT, which he did.

We got a starter out of the draft, and we're going to get 4 complete seasons of cheap yet solid play out of him. No redshirt years.

You usually hope to get more out of that in any particular draft, and while it's true that Speaks, Watts, and O'Daniel could all get cut this offseason, it's more likely we'll get 2 of them to stick around and at least provide some depth (not sure about O'Daniel at this point).

In any case, it sure beats Pioli's first draft as GM.

Nnadi was a brilliant pick. I remember some folks wanting Kirk in round 2, while others of us opined for a TE (I liked Goedert as I saw him play in college, and others liked Andrews out of OU).

I like Speaks, but Veach chose him over some guys that even fans could see as more viable options.

Sassy Squatch 07-08-2020 12:53 PM

Too bad Houston didn't let Peters two piece that geriatric ****. Despise him worse than Pioli and Cassel combined.

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15057365)
I'll actually be a bit shocked if Speaks doesn't break out a bit. He's legit playing for his career now and from what I've seen is in the best shape since joining the Chiefs.

I think he will, too. He's got all the ability in the world and a big frame. Should be fun to watch.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15057208)
Where was the "reputable reporting" when it came to Mahomes contract?

There's been NO reporting on Chris Jones because there's been nothing to report, yet it doesn't stop you from constantly speculating.

LMAO There are so many head scratching ideas in this contradictory pair of sentences that it deserves it own post for dismantling.

Alright, so:

1a. The reporting on the contract situation surrounding Mahomes has no bearing on the contract situation surrounding Chris Jones.

1b. You seem to be implying there was no reputable reporting surrounding the Mahomes contract situation? NFLN reported the negotiations would begin after the draft (they did). The KC Star reported the talks had begun in earnest in May (they had). There was plenty of reporting, though none of it to my knowledge hit the incredible contract extension on the head. But, so it goes with highly sensitive negotiations behind closed doors.

1c. You seem to be implying that because there was no reputable reporting on the Mahomes contract ahead of time (there was), that we can't take a lack of Jones contract reporting too seriously. But even the best reporting isn't ironclad; it's intended to be used as a signpost for news followers to use in their own educated guesses.

1d. You know all of this! You literally cited reporting in this very thread on Clowney's contract offers from teams to help you draw conclusions about Clowney's future. Which is what normal humans do.

2a. There has been reporting on Jones. NFLN has reported the Chiefs have talked to him about contracts. NFLN and other sources have repeatedly reported that he has received no contract offers from us at any time. Louis Reddick said a couple days back that they're talking to Jones now. There has been some reporting that Covid19 kept us from making any negotiations with him -- which is reporting I don't buy, by the way (just to show that I don't take reporting mindlessly at face value).

2b. How do you know "there's nothing to report"? You literally told me we have no idea what's going on. There could be tons to report.

2c. You're of course saying there's nothing to report because you believe the reporting that we've seen (that you're now saying doesn't exist?): talks have been minimal, no contracts (at the very least prior to Pat's deal) have been offered. Jones is demanding $20m+ and the Chiefs probably want to keep him but they're struggling to square that circle.

2d. If you're arguing there's been nothing to report on Jones anyway, then you're agreeing with the initial premise I started with (that you had disagreed with) that there had been inaction with the Chiefs and Jones.

I think in your rush to keep hope alive and/or throw shade at me may have gotten your ideas all jumbled up, because these two sentences don't make a lot of logical sense, and they are factually incorrect.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 01:00 PM

Also, for the record, we gotta say Dorsey, so far, has been the far superior drafter to Veach. Veach's track record is smaller, but he did have the disastrous 2018 draft. And it's doubtful, due to Dorsey's incredible 2017 draft, that Veach can overtake him.

That's not throwing shade at Veach, by the way. There are few GMs that have had a hotter five years than the 2013-2017 drafts Dorsey trotted out. Those drafts are, by far, the biggest reason of several as to why we just won a Super Bowl.

Every one of Dorsey's first picks became Pro Bowlers and some of them became All Pros. Just for absolute starters. And while Veach rooted for it to happen, Dorsey was the trigger man on the trade up for Mahomes.

Respect where it's due. The guy was incredible in the draft. I'm actually pretty stunned he's not a GM right now, which may speak to how maddening he might be to work with.

Sassy Squatch 07-08-2020 01:10 PM

He doesn't have a job because he sounds like a massive **** to work for and lacks pretty much every skill that's needed to be a GM outside of being an excellent scout and acquiring talent. He'd be an excellent second fiddle to a top tier HC but his ego won't let that happen and he proved in Cleveland left to his own devices things don't exactly go smoothly.

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15057394)
Also, for the record, we gotta say Dorsey, so far, has been the far superior drafter to Veach. Veach's track record is smaller, but he did have the disastrous 2018 draft. And it's doubtful, due to Dorsey's incredible 2017 draft, that Veach can overtake him.

You're out of your freaking mind

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15057382)
I think in your rush to keep hope alive and/or throw shade at me may have gotten your ideas all jumbled up, because these two sentences don't make a lot of logical sense, and they are factually incorrect.

JFC, this is a ridiculous post.

First off, the Chiefs didn't reveal anything about Mahomes deal. Sure, there were people speculating that a deal would get done (Duh!) but there was no concrete evidence of anything until the deal was announced.

Clowney has refused every offer to date, whether it's a $12 million dollar base salary from the Browns to the Seahawks offer of more than $17 million so there is very, very little chance that Clowney would sign with the Chiefs or any other team for $10 million, even if it's just for one season.

It was reported in the past week that the Chiefs have had NO discussions with Jones or his agent. So anything that you put out there is pure speculation, with none of it based in reality.

--------

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-rumors-...022408397.html

From June 8th:

The three-time Pro Bowl selection has turned down multiple free-agent contract offers worth at least $15 million per year this season, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reported Monday.

"My understanding is the Seahawks have been in the range of $15 million on a one-year deal for Jadeveon Clowney," Florio said on 106.7 The Fan's Chad Dukes vs. The World (h/t 247Sports.com). "The Seahawks have been led to believe that the Browns offered 18 (million), and he has yet to take that."